08, April 2013
I was instructed by our Chairman to inspect the maintenance jobs carried out at his personal Ooty Guest house. Since the inspection was planned during first week of April, decided to undertake this Velliangiri Yathra. When I called my friend Mr Azhagesan, to join this trip, he readily accepted and some of his office friends also expressed their willingness to join with us. When we announced our plan of going during day time others withdrawn from the yathra.
As usual I stayed at our Company’s guest house ( Now I retired from SPIC ) and by 07.00 hrs , on 6th April 2013, started our yathra. Up to Isha Yoga centre We could able to get the bus and from there 1.5 KM we walked to Poondy, the foot hills of Velliangiri. When we reached the base temple there were lot of devotees returning from top after dharshan, who had under taken their yathra on the previous night. After base
temple dharshan we started
climbing up around 08.00 Hrs.
It took 1 hour to reach Vellai Pillayar sannadhi at the top of the first hill. After crossing the bamboo forest in the second hill and reached the third hill. There were tall grass on both sides of the third hill. There was no shade to rest on the 4th, 5th and 6th hills. But about 20 shops were put on the en-route. The path was up and down and we are able to get the first sight of THEN KAILAYAM SHIVA’s CAVE from the 5th and 6th hills. It was too hot than we expected. We could see the plastic papers, biscuit covers chocolate wrappers strewn along the route up to 4th hill. ( Too bad )
We found extremely difficult to climb the 7th hill in the scorching sun and we exhausted completely. Around 13.00 Hours finally reached the top. There was no crowd on the top. The temperature was also normal. Usually it will be too chill and cold breeze will be from western Ghats. After peaceful dharshan and a rest of about 30 minutes, started climb down and reached to the foot hill around 19.00 Hours. ( planned to reach by 18.00 hrs ). While climbing down also we had taken the same time of 5 Hours due to halt at many places. I got pain in the left leg, otherwise it was okay. We had seen few birds, squirrels and lot of monkeys during our yathra.
SOME USEFUL TIPS FOR THOSE WHO WISHES TO UNDERTAKE THIS VELLIANGIRI YATHRA.
- Take at least 2 litres of water in case if you take day time yathra or otherwise 1 litre of water is okay. ( Water is available at Aandi sunai, Kaithatti sunai and at 6th hill – water may contains some contamination hence it is not preferred. But many people consumes – I had a severe stomach disorder during my 3rd Yathra, after that I avoid that murky water)
- Some Fruits to boost energy ( Grapes is okay ).
- Food – may be curd rice will reduce the heat of the body.
- Some chocolates ( Candy man will do.)
- Glucose powder one packet.
- Torch light ( a small 2 battery cell torch will do ) .
- A practice of walking without chapel for about 15 days at-least will help for smooth climb ( Some peoples climb with foot wear, and shoes – It will be your belief – nobody stops you climb with chappel ).
- Bamboo stick, which is available at the base temple at a cost of Rs 20.00 ( difficult to climb up/ down without that)
- There are about 20 shops on the en-route, where you can get Soda, Lemon soda ( opposite to Vellai pillayar ), Mango, snaks, Sukku Coffee with out milk, Kambu ( a millet ) koozhl. Shops are available up to base of the seventh temple. These shops will be open only during season of 15 days before and after Chitra pournami ( Full moon day ) ie APRIL .
- There are some shops sells the medicinal herbs /plants too.
- Wants to do abhishekam & archana ?, materials has to be taken from the base temple.
- A mandapam is there at the base temple to take rest, wants to stay in the night also possible.
- Head tonsuring and bathing is possible at the base temple.
- Please do not throw plastics covers on the hill please bring back to base.
- Many people take bath at the starting of seventh hill. ( It is your choice ).
- Many people likes to take yathra during night to avoid sun heat. ( Sun rise will be a beautiful from the top hence it may be preferred).
- Wishes to enjoy the beauty of the hill, cloud floating under your feet may like to travel during day time.
- People undertake yathra during Maha Shiva Rathri and less during monthly amavasai ( No moon day )
- Try to take knife, bandage cloth, band aid - may not help for self, but may be helpful for the other devotees.
- Ladies – ( Like Sabarimala) are restricted to undertake the yathra.
- The yathra will be pleasant if you carry less luggage. The back bag is preferred, since the hands will be free.
- Try to undertake yathra in group, which will be helpful during emergencies.
Wayside shops -Medicinal herbs for sale
Sparrow - very cute
--- OM SIVAYA NAMA ---