A Continuation of the previous post ........
11, February 2014.
11, February 2014.
After dharhshan, I had to deviate from my original plan of going to Thiruvothur directly. Since there is no direct route to Thiruvothur from Maakaral, I had taken the route via Kanchipuram. When I reached Thiruvothur preparation are on for Swamy’s thiruveethi uzha with Kailaya vaathiyam. It was interesting to note that the instruments are being played by the young children. This is the first time I had seen that Natarajar is taken out for thiruveethi uzha as urchavar. There were many temporary shops erected for this Masi Maham festival along the street.
8 – THIRUVOTHUR. ( It is part of Cheyyar, also called as Thiruvathipuram )
This is the 8th Devaram Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam in Thondai Nadu. Thiruganasambandar has sung hymns in praise of Lord Shiva of this temple.
Iraivan : Sri Vedhapureeswarar, Sri VedhaNaathar.
Iraivi : Sri Balakujambigai, Sri IlamulaiNayagi.
Some of the important features of this temple are…..
- The temple is facing east with a 6 tier Rajagopuram.
- A mandapam with Palipeedam, dwajasthambam and Nandhi are at the front. Nandhi is facing opposite to moolavar. ( The story behind this is Iraivan sent Nandhi along with King Thondaiman to conquer a king called Visvavasu. To represent this Nandhi is facing opposite to moolavar )
- In the outer prakaram sannadhi for Sthala Viruksham, Thillai Shivaperuman, Sandeswarar, Thirukalathinathar, Thiru Aanaikka, Thiru Annamalai, Thirukkachi Ekambam, Ambal sannadhi, Palliyarai, Navagrahas and Santhana kuravarkal.
- On the left of the entrance, moortham of Thiruganasambandar with Shiva and Sthala viruksham are in the form of stone.
- Ambal sannadhi is like a separate temple with Koshta moorthangal. There are old tamil inscriptions also found around karuvarai walls. Ambal is in sitting posture.
- Entrance to the inner prakaram, sannadhi for Vinayagar, Balamurugan, Veerabathrar, Vinayagar, Nagalingam.
- In the inner prakaram sannadhi for Lingam, 108 Lingam, Naalvar, 63var, Valampuri Vinayagar, Lingangal, Naagars, Valli Devasena Subramaniyar, Murugan sudhai sirpam, Bairavar, Suryan, Thirumal and Chandran.
- In the front mandapam iympon urchava moorthams are kept. Some of them are Pitchadanar, Ambal with Chandrasekar, Arumugaperuman with Valli Devasena looks cute.
- In koshtam Vinayagar, Dhakshinamoorthy, Mahavishnu, Naanmugan, Durgai. A Perumal / Vishnu statue is installed in front of Durgai. The Chakra is in vertical position against horizontal.
- Sandeswarar is with mazhu in his right hand.
- Rajathirajan, Kulothungan, Rajendran, Vikramachozhan period tamil inscriptions are found around karuvarai walls.
- Standing at one place in the front mandapam, we can have the view of Moolavar, Ambal, Vinayagar, Murugan, Navagrahas, Sthala Viruksham ( partially visible – obstruction due to sannadhis )
- Govt. buses are available to Cheyyar from Kanchipuram, Chennai, Thiruvannamalai, salem, etc. and the temple place Thiruvothur is about 1.5 KM from bus stand.
- Private buses and Govt. Town buses are also available from Kanchipuram.
- The temple is kept open between 06.00 Hrs. to 12.00 Hrs. and 16.00 Hrs. to 20.30 Hrs. And the poojas are 08.00 Hrs. 12.00 Hrs. 16.00 Hrs. and 20.30 Hrs.
- Mr. Ashok, an office clerk 9842416402 and Sivachariyar Dhakshinamoorthy 9688612660 may be contacted for pooja and other functions.
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE :CLICK HERE
The 5 tier Rajagopuram
Inner view of the second level Rajagopuram with mandapam
Ambal sannadhi vinmanam
Temple Complex view with Dwajasthambam and nandhi mandapam
Nandhi is facing opposite to moolavar
Arumugaperuman - Peacock is facing on the right side
Urchavar with Ambal
Sandeswarar with mazhu on the right hand
Thiruganasambandar, Shiva Lingam & Sthala Viruksham Palm Tree
Lord Shiva with bow and arrow - a relief on the mandapam pillar
Swamy's purapadu to Thiruveethi uzha
Natarajar is taken for Thiruveethi uzha a rare sight to see.
Kailaya vathyam - children are playing
Continued in the next post.
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA ---