CONTINUATION FROM THE PREVIOUS POST....
19th September 2015.
SRI ARUDRA KAPALEESWARAR TEMPLE – ERODE
Sri Kapaleeswarar temple is in the heart of Erode city and near Pannerselvam Park and market and about 3 Km from Railway station.
Iraivan : Sri Thondeeswarar, Sri Cheddeswarar, Sri Chozheeswarar and Sri Arudra Kapaleeswarar.
Iraivi : Sri Vaaranambigai.
Some of the important features of this temple are...
- The temple is facing east with a 5 tier Rajagopuram. Dwajasthambam, Nandhi and Palipedam are at the entrance of the maha mandapam.
- In the outer prakaram sannadhi for Suryan with his consorts Sayadevi and Usha Devi, Moola Vinayagar, Gajasamkara murthy, sthala viruksham with Vinayagar and Amman, Kala Bairavar, Chandran, 63var, Saptha mathakkal and Chandran.
- On the facia of the mahamandapam sudhai sirpams/ reliefs of Sthala puranam and sthala puranam of Avinashi Shiva temple. Kali and Oorthuva thandava murthy are worth to see on the mahamandapam pillars.
- In the inner prakaram, Durgai, Naalvar, 63var, Sri Valli Devasena Subramaniyar, Sandikeswarar and Navagrahas.
- At the entance of the sanctum it was learnt there was only one Dwarabalakar and latter the second dwarabalakar was added.
- In koshtam Vinayagar, Dhakshinamurthy, Brahma and Vishnu Durgai.
- Moolavar is little small, suyambu and has 108 lingas carved on it. It was believed that moolavar was installed by Sage Durvasa in a lying position ( Palli konda Position )
- The sun rays falls on moolavar on Tamil Masi month 23rd to 27th.
- It was believed ( hear say ) that the temple was built during the year 1004 -1280, Kongu Chozhas period and the King name was Karikalan. Also with the help of Samayr Mudali built 36 Shiva temples on the banks of Cauvery. From the inscriptions available at the base of the sanctum wall, the temple is called as Thondeeswaram and the Lord Shiva as Thondeeswarar, Thondeeswaram Udaya Mahadeva, Thondeeswaram Udaya Thambiranar, Thondeeswaram Udaya Pidarar, Nayanar, Thondargal Nayanar, etc.
TEMPLE HISTORY :
One of the temple history goes like this....,
As per hearsay, The king by name Lakshmikanthan, once he performed a yagna. For thi the milk was brought from Pechiparai the present Park with under ground sump ( which was used as Ko salai ). On nearing this place the milk poured at a particular place. To analyse, The King ordered to dig the ground, he found blood was oozing from that place due to hitting of crowbar on Shiva lingam. The Shiva linga's top was split in to 4 parts and thrown to 4 places. The four place names are ends with ‘de/du’ ( Erode, Chittode, Vellode, ). Since Shiva Linga’s head ( Kabalam ) was split in to parts, Iraivan is called as Sri Kabaleeswarar.
The another story goes like this....
A poor weaver Thandavan, used to worship Lord Arudra Kapaleeswarar before proceeding to work. The Lord, with the intention of making the weaver’s devotion to known to all, went to his house when the weaver was absent. The Lord in the form of old man asked Thandavan’s wife for a piece of cloth to cover himself fromshivering cold. The woman told the Lord that she too had only one piece and promised what she could do for Him and asked his whereabouts. Lord replied that he will be available at outside of Arudra temple.
Thandavan’s wife told him what happened when he was away. The weaver rushed to his boss seeking a piece of cloth on credit and promised to pay the price on instalments. He got the cloth and gave it to the old man at the temple.
When the temple priest opened the sanctum sanctorum the next morning, he was surprised to see a new piece of cloth on the Lord and the Parivattam was absent. He informed the matter to all. All gathered there including the weaver’s boss who said that he gave it to Thandavan. Thandavan narrated what happened. Nobody believed the poor weaver and tied him on a pillar and began to beat him. Lord Shiva through the son of the village head and shouted. "Despite one’s own difficulties, one should not hesitate to help those poorer than them. To establish this Dharmam, I acted through Thandavan," Hence Iraivan is called as Thiruthondeeswarar. As per the Gurukkal, only new cloth is used every day to Lord Shiva.
- The temple is kept open between 05.30 Hrs to 12.30 Hrs and 16.30 P.M. to 20.30 Hrs.
- The temple office may be contacted fro the details and the Land Line number is +91-424-2267578
- Web site address : http://www.arudrakapaleeswarartemple.tnhrce.in/
- The town buses to Railway station passes through Panneer selvam Park and from there a walk-able distance.
View of Moolavar Vimanam
Vilakku thoon ( on the background the Rajagopuram of Perumal Temple )
The Rajagopurams of Moolavar and Ambal Temples
Vanni Tree Vinayagar and Amman moortham
Temple Complex View
The Tamil inscription of the base of sanctum
Front Mandapam view through rajagopuram
Paintings of 12 Rasis on the ceiling of rajagopuram
Painting on the prakaram / mandapam wall
Painting on the prakaram / mandapam wall
SRI PERIYA MARIAMMAN TEMPLE - BROUGH ROAD, ERODE.
This temple is on Brough Road a Km from Sri Arudhra Kapaleeswarar Temple. This is also an old temple.
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA :---