18th September 2015.
This visit was a 3 days to Erode, Arachalur, Mukasi Anuman Palli, Perunthalaiyur, Tharamangalam, Veeramathi amman Temple, Arul Malai and Thingalur, from 12th to 14th, September 2015. The climate was too hot and there was no rain at all. It was a pleasant visit to all these temples which has rich heritage and history. When we go in deep inside, we may be able to understand only very little due to lack of information available. Some of the temple's history was lost due to improper maintenance and renovation. The locals who carried the renovations were not aware of the importance of the inscriptions. At Kavundapadi Shiva Temple the inscription granite slabs, which speaks the history of the temple are dumped along with garbage. In many places the inscription are not legible due to several coats of whitewashing.
I was able to cover places /the temples planned, but could not make it to Andi Parai, at Arachalur where the cave with ‘Isai Kalvettukkal’, due to non availability of guide. To compensate, visited a Shiva Temple at Perunthalaiyur.
SRI ANUMANEESWARAR TEMPLE – MUKASI ANUMAN PALLI
Now this place is called as Mukasi Anuman Palli.
Iraivan : Sri Anumaneeswarar
Iraivi : Sri Annapooranai amman
The important features of this temple are......
- The temple is facing east with out any Rajagopuram. Palipedam and Nandhi are under the asbestos sheet mandapam with a garuda/ vilakku thoon.
- In the outer prakaram sannadhi for Niruthi Vinayagar, Sri Valli Devasena Subramaniyar, Sri Annapooranai Amman, Sandikeswarar, Bairava murthy, Navagrahas and Siva Suryan.
- The Sri Valli Devasena Subramaniyar sannadhi was constructed about 30 years before.
- At the entrance of sanctum sannadhi for Sri Vinayagar on the left and Sri Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma are on the right
- In koshtam only Dhakshinamurthy.
- The temple was constructed before Sundara Pandiyan’s period and inscriptions are available on Sandikeswarar sannadhi wall.
- Alagu Chokka Perumal temple is on the back side the Shiva Temple with Vinayagar and Anjaneyar are at the entrance of the sanctum. Garudalvar and palipedam are at the entrance of the sannadhi.
- There is a hear say that Hanuman on the way to Srilanka in search of Seetha stayed here and hence this place is called as Anuman Palli and there is a river near by called Kurangaru.
- The temple is kept open between 07.30 Hrs to 12.00 Hrs and 17.00 Hrs to 19.00 Hrs
- Mr Selvam gurukkal may be contacted through his mobile 9842338995.
- From Erode to Tharapuram, Palani, Gangeyam buses are passing through Arachalur and from there Town bus no 33 is available to Anuman Palli.
Murugan sannadhi built at a latter stage
Amman Vahana mandapam with Bairavar sannadhi
Moolavar Vimanam with Dhakshinamurthy sannadhi
Temple complex view
Alagu Chokka Perumal Temple back side of Shiva temple
When devas & Asuras churning the paar kadal first came is this Devi hence she is called as Mootha Devi also called as Thvvai, elder sister to Lakshmi. And she is the wife of Sani Bhagavan On her right, her Son 'Manthan' with buffalo's head holding 'Thandam' and on the left her mother in law Chaya devi alias Agni Maatha.
In the all the three are in the centre panel and Maanthan is on the right panel and Mootha Devi and Agni matha are in the left panel.
Ambal Sri Annapoorani
Tamil inscriptions on the sandikeswarar sannadhi wall
Dhakshinamurthy with sanakatha munivars
The beautiful Nandhi with Palipedam
There is also a recently constructed Chinamman and Periyamman temple with a Rajagopuram in the same Village. This is the Kulatheivam for the two subsection of Gounder community ( Chennakulam and Pannakulam ) of that area. The temple has sannadhi for Vanni mara Vinayagar, Masari Amman, Kali and kannimar. Dwajasthambam and Palipedam are in front of Chinnamman. The Temple also has the usual Village type Sudhai Iyannar, Horse, Kannimar etc.
CINNAMMAN AND PERIYAMMAN TEMPLE
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE :CLICK HERE
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE :CLICK HERE
SRI PUTRIDANGONDEESWARAR TEMPLE - ARACHALUR
There is an old Shiva temple at the back side of bus stop.
Iraivan : Sri Putridankondeeswarar
Iraivi : Sri Booloka Nayagi
Some of the important features of this temple are....
- A small temple facing east with a vilakku thoon in front
- Sannadhi for Naalvar, Thiruneelakandar, Kannappa nayanar, Vinayagar and Navagrahas and Sri Valli Devasena Subramaniyar ( Kept open to sky ).
- It was told that the temple is a 500 years old and the sanctum was built with bricks and lime plaster. White washed for many years.
- Artha mandapam was built like madras terrace with wooden beams.
- Once this place was in the midst of forest and while clearing the vegetation shiva linga was damaged and the same was covered with marunthu. Moolavar is suyambu on a square avudayar.
- The temple is kept open between 07.30 Hrs to 12.00 Hrs and 17.00 Hrs to 20.00 Hrs.
- Mr Velusamy gurukkal may be contacted through land line 0424 2357485.
- Arachalur is on the way to Erode to Palani, Gangeyam, Tharapuram bus route and the temple is on the road side.
Palipedam with Nandhi mandapam
Sri Valli Devasena Subramaniyar on open to sky
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---