Continuation to the previous post……..
07th October 2015
I was little tired due to too much walking around Sri Bragadeeswarar temple Complex, yesterday. Got up little late and proceeded to Punnai nallur Mariamman temple. The temple was constructed by the Marathi Kings and Marathi inscriptions are there in the mandapam pillars.
PUNNAI NALLUR MUTHU MARIAMMAN TEMPLE – THANJAVUR.
Amman : Punnai Nallur Mariamman.
Some of the important details are…
- The temple is facing east with two level Rajagopuram, Muka mandapam, maha mandapam, mandapam and artha mandapam.
- In the outer prakaram temple tank, Kosalai, Vilakku etrum place and mandapam to stay the devotees who comes wth smallpox. In the in side mandapam ( 2nd level rajagopuram,), sudhai sirapm of Rajah Sri Thulaji and Sri Sadhasib=va Bramendhar facing Amman.
- Dwajasthambam, Palipedam are in the mandapam after the 2nd level Rajagopuram under the mandapam. In he pillars Asta Lakshmikal sudhai sirpangal.
- In the inner prakaram only mandapam with Sri Padakachery Ramalinga Swamy’s sudhai sirpam. Paechi amman sannadhi ( Lada sanyasi, Madurai Veerar & Kathavarayan). Rajah Shivaji Sudhai sirpam and on the right thirukulam.
- The sanctum Amman Moortham and Vishnu Durgai onn the left facing south.
As per Chozha Sambu book, the Chozhas established 8 Sakthi temples around Thanjavur in eight directions. This Punnai Nakllur Mariamman is on the east side. In 1680 AD, the Marata King Venkoji went to Samatapuram yathra to worship Mariamman. In his dream Amman appeared and told that she in the midst of Punai forest ‘Ant Hill’, 5 KM from Thanjavur. The king came back and foud out the ant hill and created a small temple and called the place as Punnai Nallur and Amman a Mariamman.
During 1763 – 1787, Thulaja Raja’s daughter’s eyesight was gone due to smallpox decease and Amman advised the King to come along with his daughter to worship her. When they worshiped Mariamman, the King’s daughter got back her eye sight and the Kind built a shrine around the Ant Hill and also he constructed the prakarm. He also shaped Ant Hill to form Amman with the hep of the Siddhar Sr Bramendhirar and chakra was also installed.
During 1739 - 1763 King Pradap donated a village called Arulmozhipettai and constructed Kothandaramar temple also. The moorthams of Ramar, seetha, Laksmanar and Sukreevar are made of Salagramam stone ( these are presented to King Pradap Sing by the Nepal King ). Then 1798 to 1832 King Saraboji constructed the Maha mandapam, Narthana mandapam, Front Rajagopuram, Big prakram and done kumbhabhishekam to Amman. King Shivaji constructed the outer prakaram. In the year 1892 King Shivaji’s wife Kamtchiamba Bayi Saheb constructed the Outer prakarm, Annathana Hall and North Rajagopuram.
Since Amman is made of Ant Hill daily abhishekam is not done instead, oil with punuku is applied. Abhishekam is conducted to Urchava moorham and Vishnu Durgai. Once in 5 years Thaila kappu with sambrani, Punuku, arakaja and Javvathu are applied. During that time Curd and tender coconut are offered to Amman to reduce the heat.
There are 2 tubs constructed around Amman, devotees pray and fill both with water to get cured from smallpox ( Vaisuri ). During summer seasons it was observed that sweating on Amman’s face and head till date. Hence Amman is also called as Muthu Mari Amman. Every year during tamil months Adi, Avani and Puratasi, annual festival if conducted. Theppam festival is also conducted in the temple tank.
With the leadership of Sri Siddhar Padakachery Ramalinga Swamikal, the elder Prince Rajasri Rajaram conducted Kumbhabhishekam during the year 1950. The present Parambara Trustee Sri babaji Raja Bonsele also done kumbhabhishekam on 06-07-1987. Gold kavasam weighing 22 kg was offered to Amman through the donations received from the devotees. During the year 1855, Rajah Shivaji constructed the Rajagopuram from mottai gopuram in to a 7 tier Rajagopuram with Sudhai sirpangal. This thirupani was carried out through the help of Singa vala nattu ( Kulichapattu, Kathirinatham, Thalavaipalayam and Marungai)peoples) devotees. The Rajagopuram and other sannadhis were consecrated on 27-07-2004.
This is one of the 88 temples maintained by Rajah Sri C Babaji Rajah Bonsele and Tamil Nadu Govt.
TEMPLE TIMINGS :
- The temple is kept open between 06.00 Hrs to 20.30 Hrs with out break.
- The temple web site is : http://www.thanjavurpalacedevasthanam.tnhrce.in/88_temples/2_Mariamman_Temple_Punnainallur.html
- Phone number is +91 4362267740
- The temple is about 5 Km distance from old bus stand.
- Lot of town buses both private and Govt, are available from old Bus stand with stop as Mariamman temple.
The south side ( Main road side ) entrance arch
The temple tank - Preparation for the Puratasi month’s theppa urchavam
The 7 tier rajagopuram first level and second level Rajagopuram partially visible. This second level Rajagopuram was built with sudhai sirpangal.
The Tamil inscriptions of Marathi Period
Beautiful view of the corridor- Pillars are similar to nayak period
Padakchery Ramalinga swamikal – He is the instrumental for many temples kumbhabhishekam and construction of Rajagopurams ( Kumbakonam Nageswara swamy Temple east side Rajagopuram was constructed by him)
Beautiful view of the corridor- Pillars are like nayak period
The east side entrance arch
The temple’s chariot
The devotees offerings , cock and hens.
After dharshan of Mariamman temple came back to Thanjavur Sri Bragadeeswarar temple to take photo of the kalasam shadow falling on the ground. It was 10.00 hrs, I left for Palace and Saraswathy Mahal. On the way, purchased a book about Thanjavur periya Koil Santharam from Thanjavur Tamil University with Pictures and temple details of Santharam.
THANJAVUR PALACE AND SARASWATHY MAHAL
Dharbar hall – entrance to museum arch sudhai sirpangal
Museum hall Pillars
Jyesta Devi – on the left manthan with buffalo head and on the right her mother in-law Agni Devi
Dhakshinamurthy - an unusual posture
Bell Tower or Watch tower
Saraswathy mahal looks like Gopuram – It was told that during war weapons will be stored to fool the enemies.( The enemies will think that this gopuram might be a temple's gopuram )
Thayar ?, Vishnu on the right
Somaskandhar- Lord Shiva and Parvathy
Shiva Playing damaru
King Saraboji's Dharbar
King Saraboji's Dharbar - ceiling painting
Chozha Period Natarajar
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA ---