27th July 2016
When I told about the missed opportunity of attending my friend Mr Venkatesh, son’s marriage at Devakottai, to one of my friend Mr Nachiappan, in turn invited me to Devakottai to attend the Kottai Amman’s annual 15 days festival, which is unique in nature and lakhs of people used attend from various parts of India. So I decided to attend the festival to get the blessings of Sri Kottai Amman. I stayed along with his family and visited Two shiva temple and a Saibaba temple.
SRI UMAYAMBIGAI SAMEDHA SRI VEERASEKARA ESWAR – SAKKOTTAI.
The temple is maintained by 130 pulli Devakottai nagarathars through former Chief justice A R Lakshmanan and his family. They have their madam which was renovated recently.
Iraivan: Sri Veerasekarar
Iraivi : Sri Umayambigai.
Some of the important features of this temple are…
- The temple is facing east with a 7 tier Rajagopuram and a temple pond in front with a mandapam.
- The temple was constructed in stages like a mada temple.
- Constructed completely with stone.
- There is no inscription on the moolavar sanctum but available in the front mandapam, which is of latter period.
- For the recent period inscription it was learnt that the kumbhishekam was conducted during 1887 and from other inscriptions, the temple might have constructed during 15th to 16th century.
- In the inner prakaram 63var, Bairavar Subramaniyar, Gajalakshmi, Perumal ( This Vishnu statue was unearthed during renovation at Nandhavanam ), Bairavar, Natarajar, Navagrahas, Veeramaram in stone with Nagars.
- In koshtam Vinayagar, Dhakshinamurthy, Brahma, Durgai.
- Ambal sannadhi is in the front mandapam with separate Dwajasthambam, Palipedam and Nandhi
- There are about 4 statues of Nagarathars sculptured on the pillar ) Might have done thirupani to this temple ).
- The temple is very near to Karikudi, can be reached through Taxi and frequency of the bus is limited.
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA:---