Continuation to the previous post……
SRI VARADHRAJASWAMY TEMPLE, VISHNU KANCHI – KANCHIPURAM
07th August 2016.
The place is called as Thiru Katchi, Aththigiri, Kovil, Vezhamalai. One of the 108 Divyadesams in Kanchipuram.
Moolavar : Sri Varadharajaswamy, Attivaradhar, Dewarajaswamy
Thayar : Sri Perundevi Thayar.
Some of the important features of this temple are …
- As per legend when Brahma performed yagna or the ashwametha yagam Saraswathy in the form of Vegavathy river tried to destroy the yagna. Sri Devarajaswamy emerged as thousands of suns and destroyed the demons, Sarabam etc., and saved the Yagna and permanently stayed here.
- The Temple was built during 1503 CE by Kulothunga Chozha I and Vikarama Chozha. During 14th century another wall with Gopuram was built by Chozhas.
- During muslims invasion the moolavar was sent to Uadayarplayam, near Trichy and latter brought back with great difficulty.
- The main sanctum is called as hill, Hasthagiri, since Moolavar is on an elevated level of 10 meters with 24 steps.
- Above moolavar sanctum there is an another floor. The ceiling of this floor has the Silver & Golden Lizards, Sun and Moon reliefs. It was believed that Indra installed after he was relieved from the curse of Goddess Saraswathi. The walls has the Nayak period paintings.
- The moolavar is in the first level with a beautiful smiling face.
- The urchavar is in the glass mandapam with fire wound scars on his face. It was told that the scars are due to, Perumal came from the fire of Yagna performed by Brahma.
- There is another Devarajaswamy’s idol made of Atti wood kept in a silver box in the temple tank mandapam. Pooja will be performed once in a year.
- The temple has three prakaras, 32 sannadhis, 19 vimanas and a 389 pillared mandapam. There is also a 100 lion faced pillared mandapam with sculptures associated with Mahabratha and Ramayana epic. This was constructed during Vijayanagara period. The hanging chains sculptured out of single rock stone is worth to watch.
- The main sanctum faces west with a 130 feet 7 tier Rajagopuram. The Vimana under the moolavar is called as punniyakodi Vimana, since if you do a punyam it will grow kodi ( crore ) times.
- Thayar is in a separate temple and the vimana is called as Kalyana kotti vimanam.
- There is a Malayala Nachiyar sannadhi presumably built during 14th century by Chera Kings.
- The temple is kept open for dharshan during 06.30 hrs to 12.00 hrs and 16.00 hrs to 21.00 hrs.
HOW TO REACH :
- The temple is very near to Bus stand and autos are available from there .
Hanging chain carved out of single stone
The beauty of the kodungai
Glass mandapam where Urchavar is being kept
Thayar Sannadhi Vimanam
Nayak Period paintings
Sri Varadharajaswamy on Garudalwar
…. To be continued.
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA---