12th February 2017.
Madras Literary society was formed in the year 1812 and associated with the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Sir John Henry Newbolt who was the Chief Justice of the Madras was the president and Mr Babington was the secretary From 1833 MLS started the journal called Madras Journal of Literature and science. Mr Ram Raz was the first recorded Indian admitted as a member of MLS, apart from Europeans. The journal covers the researches in geology, metrology, fauna, flora and Culture and History. The Journal ends its journey in the year 1894. The existing sand stone red building in which the MLS functions was built in the year 1906, on the banks of the river Coovam. MLS would have functioned in the same premises near the river. A new Library called Cannemara Public Library, was started as an extension to this library, in Museum at Egmore and part of the books was also transferred. The MLS library still holds some of the books published in nineteenth century and efforts are on to revive the books and documenting the stocks with the help of volunteers from the public.
Attended the ‘Gods of Holy river Coovam’ a book release function By Ms Padmapriya Baskaran on 12th February 2017. Ms TripuraSundari Sevval, a member of Anna Nagar "Nam Veedu Nam Oor Nam Kadhai" also an Architect is taking active part in the revival of books & maintenance of this Society.
Please contact the land line number for further details : 044 2827 9666
FACEBOOK LINK :CLICK HERE
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---