Tuesday, 13 June 2017

SRI KALYANA VARADHARAJA PERUMAL TEMPLE – KALADIPET, THIRUVOTRIYUR

11th June 2017.
It was a long pending visit to this  18th century British period Sri Kalyana Varadharaja Perumal temple at Kaladipet, a part of Thiruvotriyur ( The place was named after the Governor of Madras 1717 – 1720 CE Joseph Collett as Collettpet and latter changed as Kaladipet ),  After reading an article written by Dr N Sreedharan, in Hindu wished to visit this temple. In that article he raised the doubt of the necklace ( makara Kandigai ) donated to Sri Varadharaja Perumal of Kanchipuram by the then Governor Robert Clive. He suspects that it may be by the Governor of Madras Joseph Collett to this Kaladipet Sri Varadharaja Perumal. ( article in jpg image is also up loaded )

காலடிபேட் ஸ்ரீ கல்யாண வரதராசப் பெருமாள் பற்றி முனைவர் என். ஸ்ரீதரன் எழுதிய கட்டுரையைப் படித்ததில் இருந்து அந்த கோவிலைக் காண வேண்டும் என்று இருந்தேன். அந்த கட்டுரையில் ராபர்ட் கிளைவ் மதராஸ் மாகானத்தின் ஆளுனராக இருந்த போது காஞ்சிபுரம் வரதராசப் பெருமாளுக்கு மகர கண்டிகை என்ற ஆபரணம் கொடுத்தது பற்றி சந்தேகம் எழுப்பி இருந்தார்.  அவருடைய ஆட்சி காலத்தைக் குறிப்பிட்டு ஜோசப் கல்லட் என்ற ஆளுனர் (பொயு 1717-1720 ) காலடிப்பேட்டையில் உள்ள வரதராச பெருமாளுக்கு கொடுக்கப்பட்டு இருக்கலாம் என்ற எழுதி இருந்தார். காலடிபேட்டை Joseph Collett நினைவாக கல்லட்பேட் என்று இருந்தது. பின்பு மறுவி தற்போது காலடிபேட் என்று அழக்கப் படுகின்றது.

இந்த கோவில் Joseph Collett ன் அலுவலகத்தில் பணி புரிந்த வீரராகவாச்சாரியாரால் பொயு 1717-1720 களில் கட்டப்பட்டது. இவர் காஞ்சி வரதராசப்பெருமாளை தரிசித்து விட்டு காலதாமதமாக வருவதைக் கண்ட ஆளுனர் இவருக்கு பணம் கொடுத்து காஞ்சியில் உள்ள மூலவரைப் போலவே செய்து ஒருகோவில் கட்ட ஏற்பாடு செய்தார் என்று கூறப்படுகின்றது. அதுவும்  வீரராகவாச்சாரியாருக்கு திருப்தி அளிக்காததால் ஆளுனரின் உத்தரவுப்படி காஞ்சி வரதராசப் பெருமாள் கோவில், மற்றும் காலடிபேட் வரதராசப் பெருமாள் கோவில் உற்சவர்கள் இரண்டையும் மாற்றி வைக்கப்பட்டு உள்ளது என்று பட்டர் கூறினார் ( உண்மையா என்று தெரியவில்லை. இது செவி வழி செய்தி மட்டுமே )

Moolavar : Sri Kalyana Varadharaja Perumal, Pavala Vanna Perumal
Thayar    : Sri Perunthevi Thayar.

Some of the important features of this temple are..
The temple is facing east and the Rajagopuram is under construction with the public participation ( The new Rajagopuram is to replace the damaged rajagopuram built by M/ Vasu Ayyar & Kuppammal  built through their own fund ). Palipedam, Dwajasthambam, deepasthambam and Garudalwar Sannadhi are immediately after the Rajagopuram.

In the outer prakaram sannadhi for Anjaneyar, Chakkarathalwar, Perunthevithayar, Andal, Ramar and Navagrahas. Thirukulam is on the right side of the temple. There is 4 Pillar mandapam near Chakkarathalwar Sannadhi. Also There is a 4 Pillar mandapam in front of the Rajagopuram which is encroached and used for parking vehicles.

The sanctum sanctorum consists of Mukamandapam, Arthamandapam and sanctum.In the muka mandapam sannadi for malavala mamunikal, Udayavar, and Alwars. In the sanctum moolavar is with Sridevi and Bhoodevi in standing posture. It was told that the moolavar is replica of Kanchipuram Sri Varadharaja Perumal. Urchava moortham is kept in front ( as per Pattar  the urchavrs of Kanchipuram and Kaladipet are interchanged for Veeragavachariyar by the Governor of Madras ), the interesting story goes like this.

In 1717- 1720 CE, Joseph Collet was the Governor of Madras and Veeragavachariyar was working under him. He used to report duty after the dharshan of Kanchi Varadharaja Perumal. Seeing Collet got angry and gave some money to construct a Temple for worship. As per Pattar, After some days Veeragavachariyar started coming late to office. When asked, he replied that, he was satisfied only after seeing the urchavar Pavalavanna Perumal of Kanchipuram. Then the Governor ordered to interchange the Urchavars of Kaladipet Varadharaja Perumal and Kanchipuram Varadharaja Perumal ( This has to be verified, this is only a hearsay ).

I could find 2 inscriptions belongs to 1924AD and there is no older inscriptions. Both inscriptions are telegu. Probably one inscription speaks about dinations made and the other one for the construction of Chakkarathalwar sannadhi. Those, who knows telegu may clarify this. 

TEMPLE TIMINGS:
The temple will be kept opened between 07.00 Hrs to 11.30 Hrs and 17.00 Hrs to 20.30 Hrs

CONTACT DETAILS:
Pattars Murali 9381204134 and Vedhantham  9940173559 may be contacted for further details.

HOW TO REACH:
About 500 meters off main road on Sannadhi street at Raja Kadai, at Kaladipet. The Sannadhi street also known as Thiruvotriyur Market.
Town buses are available from various parts of the city to Thiruvotriyur and get down at Raja kadai.

LOCATION:CLICK HERE













---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

No comments:

Post a Comment