03rd July 2018.
Ooty is called in different names like Udhagamandalam, Udhagai, Ootacamund ( mund means Village ), was a part of Kongu region. This was once a tribal land occupied by Toda, Kurumba, Irula and Badagas community. During Sangam period 2nd CE, Cheran Senguttuvan ruled this place. Latter ruled by Hoysala, Satvahanas, Gangas, Kadambas, Rashtrakutas, Chozhas, Vijayanagars, Wodayars. After the defeat of Tippu Sultan in 1799, Ooty came under the possession of British East India Company. John Sullivan, then the Collector of Coimbatore under Madras Presidency was the first person ventured to Nilgiris and built a bungalow in 1819 at Dimbhatti near Kothagiri. Road was formed in 1823 up to Kothagiri from Sirumugai near Mettupalayam and extended up to Coonoor by 1830-32. Even without proper road from Coonoor, Ooty was also developed and the first Church was built for the British East India company Officers in 1830. Ooty became the summer Capital of Madras Presidency. Madras regiment of the Indian Army was formed keeping the Wellington as head quarters.
THE FOUNDATION STONE of this CHURCH was laid on the 23rd April 1829 by THE RIGHT HONARABLE STEPHEN RUMBOLD LUSHINGTON GOVERNOR &c&c . THE BUILDING was commenced on the 25th JANUARY 1830 ( coincides with the birth day of King George IV) and was consecrated to ALMIGHTY GOD on the 5th of DECEMBER 1830 by THE RIGHT REVED JOHN MATTHIAS, LORD BISHOP OF CALCUTTA. THE CHURCH was finished and opened for DIVINE SERVICE on EASTER SUNDAY. The 3rd of APRIL 1831. JOHN JAMES UNDERWOOD CAPTAIN OF MADRAS ENGINEERS was the ARCHITECT.
The Church was constructed on a elevated level with a plight of steps. The Hall is supported by the 12 nos of double Pillars and alter is very simple without any ornamental works. Window stained glasses has the scenes like Mother Mary holding baby Jesus, Crucifixion of Jesus, Jesus as shepherd are worth to watch. Many brass plates are hanging on the walls with names & birth and died dates of the British officers, served under Madras Presidency. The Church was built with wood dismantled from Tippu Sultan’s palace at Srirangapatna. The building cost was estimated around Rs 24000.00. The church completed its 187 years of service and marching towards Two centuries.
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---