Sunday, 30 June 2024

Nandeeswarar Temple / Arulmigu Avudai Nayagi Samedha Sri Nandheeswarar Temple, Adambakkam, Chennai Tamil Nadu.

The visit to this Sri Nandheeswarar Temple was a part of the "Shiva, Vishnu, Vinayagar, Murugan, Siddhar Jeeva Samadhi Temples, and Amman Temples Visit in Adambakkam". After Vairava Eswarar Temple, I visited this temple near St Thomas Mount Railway Station. The temple has an entrance on the south and east sides. The details of this temple are taken from my earlier common post and written as a separate post.

South Side entrance 
 
Moolavar    : Sri Nandeeswarar
Consort      : Sri Aavudai Nayagi

Some of the important details are …..
The temple faces east with an entrance arch on East and south Directions. Balipeedam and Rishabam are in front of the sanctum sanctorum. In koshtam Sri Narthana Vinayagar, Dhakshinamoorthy, Maha Vishnu, Brahma, and Durgai. 

In praharam Sri Sundara Vinayagar, Nagars, Sri Valli Devasena Subramaniar and Navagrahas. Ambal is in a separate sannidhi facing South Ambal is in standing posture with abhaya varada hastam.


HISTORY AND INSCRIPTIONS
The temple belongs to the 10th-century Chozha period and was reconstructed in recent years. A separate inscription slab stone is installed on the back side of the temple. The details of the inscriptions (damaged in many places) are given below. 

The Chozha King Rajaraja-I's 20th reign year ( 1005 CE ) inscription on a slab stone records the endowment of burning a lamp by Moolan alias Amuthamutharaiyan. For the same 90 saava moova peradu / ewes were handed over to Kalichinga Mandradiar to supply ghee for burning the lamp.  

சோழ அரசர் முதலாம் ராஜராஜ சோழனின் 20 ஆவது ஆட்சியாண்டு ( 1005 பொயு ) ( சேதமடைந்த தனி பலகைக் கல்வெட்டு ) கல்வெட்டு, மூலனாகிய முத்தரையன் விளக்கு எரிக்க 90 சாவாமூவா பேராடுகள் கலிச்சிங்க மன்றாடியிடம் ஒப்படைத்து நெய் அளிக்க ஏற்பாடு செய்ததைப் பதிவு செய்கின்றது.     

Ref:
Chennai Managar Kalvettukkaal ( சென்னை மாநகர்க் கல்வெட்டுக்கள் ) Dr Nagaswamy, Published by Tamil Nadu Government Archaeology Department. 

The temple became famous after Kanchi Sri Sankaracharya’s Visit.

The inscription is on a slab stone installed on the back side of the temple

LEGENDS
Sri Birungi Munivar worshiped Lord Shiva in this temple, and Shiva gave darshan in the form of Nandhi. Hence, the place was called Birungi Hill. Later, it turned into Parangi Malai during the Britishers’ rule.

It is believed that the temple was constructed by the Chozha king “Aadhani,” and the place was called Aadhani. Later, the name turned to Adambakkam.

POOJAS AND CELEBRATIONS
Apart from regular poojas, special poojas are conducted on Pradosham, Maha Shivaratri, Karthigai Deepam, Tamil and English New Year days, Vinayagar Chaturthi, Thai Poosam, etc.
"Mutrum othuthal" is being conducted regularly by the Shiva Devotees.

THE TEMPLE TIMINGS :
The temple is kept open between 06.30 Hrs to 10.30 Hrs and 17.00 Hrs to 21.00 Hrs.

CONTACT DETAILS :
Sri K Seetharama Gurukkal's Mobile number is +91 9841006251.

HOW TO REACH :
The temple is 100 meters from the St. Thomas Mount railway station, and the temple can be seen from there. 
Town buses are available from various parts of Chennai city.

LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE: CLICK HERE

 South side entrance 
 Sri Valli Devasena Subramaniyar Sannidhi - Gopuram was built with Brick  
East side entrance 
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA ---

Saturday, 29 June 2024

Arulmigu Thiru Vaishnava Nambi Temple / அருள்மிகு திரு வைணவ நம்பி திருக்கோயில், Thirukkurungudi, Tirunelveli District, Tamil Nadu.

This Arulmigu Thiru Vaishnava Nambi Temple at Thirukkurungudi is the 89th Divya Desam of the 108 Divya Desam.  It is believed that Maha Vishnu was born (took the avatar) as Vamana in this place. Hence this place is called Thirukurungudi. This temple is also called Then Tirupati.  


Mangalasasanam was done by Nammalwar ( 13 ), Thirumizhisai Alwar ( 1 ), Periyalwar ( 1 ) and Thirumangai alwar ( 25 ).

கரண்ட மாடு பொய்கையுள்  கரும்பனைப் பெரும்பழம்
புரண்டு வீழ வாளைபாய்  குறுங்குடி நெடுந்தகாய்
திரண்ட தோள் இரணியன்  சினங்கொள் ஆகம் ஒன்றையும்,
இரண்டுகூறு செய்துகந்த  சிங்கம் என்பது உன்னையே   (2)
திருமிழிசை ஆழ்வார் திருச்சந்த விருத்தம். 813

ஏவினார் கலியார் நலிக என்று  என்மேல் எங்ஙனே வாழும் ஆறு ?
ஐவர் கோவினார் செய்யும் கொடுமையை மடித்தேன் குறுங்குடி நெடுங் கடல் வண்ணா !
பாவின் ஆர் இன் சொல் பல் மலர் கொண்டு  உன் பாதமே பரவி நான் பணிந்து
என் நாவினால் வந்து உன் திருவடி அடைந்தேன்  நைமிசாரணியத்துள் எந்தாய்!
திருமங்கை ஆழ்வார் பெரிய திருமொழி- முதல்பத்து1005.   

மான் ஏய் நோக்கு நல்லார்  மதிபோல் முகத்து உலவும்
ஊன் ஏய் கண் வாளிக்கு  உடைந்து ஓட்டந்து உன் அடைந்தேன்
கோனே! குறுங்குடியுள் குழகா !  திருநறையூர்த்
தேனே   வரு புனல் சூழ்  திருவிண்ணகரானே      
….திருமங்கை ஆழ்வார் பெரிய திருமொழி-ஆறாம்பத்து1470.

நம்பியை  தென் குறுங்குடி நின்ற,  அச் 
செம்பொனே திகழும்  திரு மூர்த்தியை,
உம்பர் வானவர்  ஆதி அம் சோதியை, 
எம் பிரானை  என் சொல்லி மறப்பனோ ?
நம்மாழ்வார் திருவாய்மொழி- 2898

உளனாகவே எண்ணி  தன்னை ஒன்றாக தன் செல்வத்தை 
வளனா மதிக்கும் இம் மானிடத்தைக் கவி பாடி என்,
குளன் ஆர் கழனிசூழ்  கண்ணன் குறுங்குடி மெய்ம்மையே
உளனாய எந்தையை  எந்தை பெம்மானை ஒழியவே
நம்மாழ்வார் திருவாய்மொழி- 3102

உன்னையும் ஒக்கலையில் கொண்டு தமில் மருவி
        உன்னொடு தங்கள் கருத்தாயின செய்துவரும்
கன்னியரும் மகிழக்கண்டவர் கண்குளிரக்
        கற்றவர் தெற்றி வரப்பெற்ற எனக்கு அருளி
மன்னுகுறுங்குடியாய். வெள்ளறையாய். மதிள்சூழ்
        சோலைமலைக்கரசே. கண்ணபுரத்தமுதே.
என்னவலம்களைவாய். ஆடுகசெங்கீரை
        ஏழுலகும்முடையாய் ஆடுகஆடுகவே.
……. பெரியாழவார் திருமொழி முதல் பத்து, ஐந்தாம் திருமொழி- 71

Moolavar   : Sri Sundaraparipooranan
                  Sri Azhagiya Nambi / Azhagiya Nambirayar
Utsavar     : Sri Vaishnava Nambi, Sri Ninra Nambi
Thayar      : Sri Kurungudi Valli Nachiyar
Theertham :Thiruparkadal, Panchadurai, Sindu Nadhi,
                  Nambiaaru

Some of the salient features of this temple are….
The temple faces east a 5-tier Rajagopuram of 34 meters tall. A mottai Gopura entrance is on the east side of the Rajagopuram. The temple tank is on the back side of the temple. The Dwajasthambam, balipeedam are in front of the moolavar sannidhi. The Dwajasthamabam is not in a straight line with the Sanctum Sanctorum (the legend connected to this is given below). In the main sanctum sanctorum, Maha Vishnu is Vaishnava Nambi in a standing posture about 10 feet tall, with Sridevi and Bhudevi.  All the three images are of Stucco. Utsavars Sri Vaishnava Nambi / Sri Ninra Nambi, Sridevi, Bhoomi Devi, Sri Sundara Valli and Andal are in-front of Moolavar

In paraharam, Iruntha Nambi, Kidantha Nambi (reclining posture on Adiseshan), Dasavatara murtis, Srinivasan sannidhi, Sri Andal Sannidhi, Manavala Mamunigal sannidhi, Sri Lakshmi Narasimhar sannidhi, Thirumangai Alwar sannidhi, ( It is believed that Nammalwar is the incarnation of Thirukkurungudi Nambi, there is no shrine for Nammalwar ), Shiva as Mahendragirinathar, Bairavar.



One of the specialties of this temple is there are Shiva and a Bairavar sannidhi inside the complex. Shiva is called Mahendragirinathar aka Pakkam Nintrar. Cheppu idols of Natarajar, Sivakami, Somaskandar, Vinayagar, and Subramaniar are in the Shiva’s sannidhi. It was told that the same naivedyam is offered for both Maha Vishnu and Shiva and the same is offered first to Shiva. It was told that it was customary that, by asking whether everything was okay at Shiva temple before offering to Maha Vishnu. Kala bairavar sannidhi is adjacent to Shiva’s sannidhi.

Thayar Kurungudi Valli Nachiyar is in a separate temple. Thayar is in sitting posture with abhaya varada hastam.  

Thiruparivatta parai... where Ramanuja was brought by Maha Vishnu from Thiruvananthapuram/Trivandrum, Paintings depict the story of Ramanuja with Nintra Nambi, who helped Ramanuja as Vaduga Nambi / as a Vaishna instead of Maha Vishnu for allying Thiruman, etc,. Hence Maha Vishnu was called Vaishnava Nambi. This is the place where Maha Vishnu was initiated the mantra by Ramanuja.  



Thiruparkadal Nambi are little away from this temple on the banks of Thiruparkadal Odai/channel/river. This temple has a sanctum sanctorum, antarala, and ardha mandapam. From adhistanam to prastaram the temple was built with stone and above prastaram, the Eka Tala Vimana and dravida sigram were built with bricks.  

Thiruparkadal Nambi Temple 
Thiruparkadal Nambi Temple 
Thiruparkadal Nambi Temple 

Malaimel Nambi is on a small Hill with an access road and steps. Thirumangai Alwar Temple in the midst of the fields.  

ARCHITECTURE
The temple spreads over 18 acres with 5 praharas. The temple consists of sanctum sanctorum, antarala, ardha mandapam, maha mandapam, mukha mandapam and a long corridor. The pillars are beautiful sculptures. An open mandapam is in front of the Rajagopuram, which is being used for special occasions.  The 4 pillar mandapam through which we can see the alignment of the Dwajasthambam and balipeedam, moved to the side by about a few inches.  

The moolavar vimana is called Panja kedhaka Vimanam, of two tiers Vesara style. Iruntha Nambi Vimana is of eka tala vesara vimanam and Kidantha Nambi’s Vimana is Salakara vimanam of Eka tala. Manavala Mamunigal’s shrine Vimana is also of Eka tala Vesara Vimanam.   

The mandapa pillars are Yazhi (in front of Manavala Mamunigal sannidhi) and Chitra pillars with beautiful sculptures like…. Warriors, Ladies, Narasimha with Hiranyakasibu fight, Narasimha with Hiranyakasibu vatham (in front of Manavala Mamunigal sannidhi), Veerabhadra, Rathi, Manmathan, Mahabharata characters,  Garudan, Hanuman, Pulikal Munivar, Mutt Jeeyar Swamigal, (on the praharam ceiling), the Donors Nayakas images are on the pillars of the corridor to Temple tank.





The miniature sculptures are the lotus ponds in which the lotus flower in stages, birds, reptiles, etc, (on the top of the Chitra Gopuram entrance), The Chitra Gopuram (16th to 17th century) side walls, Ships come to shore, trading of camel, elephant, routine walks of life, Thiruvikrama Perumal, Shiva as Gajasamharamurthy, (Thirumangai Alwar’s Pasuram records the existence of the Shiva Temple in side the Maha Vishnu Temple), Machendra, Krishna, Lakshmi Narasimhar, Thiruvikrama Avatar, a woman dancing with nattuvanar, Woman playing a Veena, flora, and fauna, Garuda Lifting Tortoise, elephant, lifts a tree and  rishis doing dabas by hanging from the trees, Ladies forms Elephant and Horse, Parrots forms Horse, & Elephant carrying Manmatha,  Krishna Leela with Gopikas on the bank's river Yamuna, Shiva/Parameswara’s dance, Gajendra Moksha, Ganga Visarjana Murthy, Krishna as Venugopala, etc,. After the Chitra gopuram, various deities with their respective vahanas.   









Thirumazhisai Alwar thinks about the Narasimha avatar of Maha Vishnu, which was created as sculptures after several hundred years.

கரண்ட மாடு பொய்கையுள்
    கரும்பனைப் பெரும் பழம்
புரண்டு வீழ வாளை பாய்
    குறுங்குடி நெடுந்தகாய்
திரண்ட தோளி ரணியன்
    சினங் கொளாக மொன்றையும்
இரண்டு கூறு செய்துகந்த
    சிங்க மென்ப துண்ணையே



The Kurathi, her ornament, footwear, etc. An elephant out of 9 ladies / 9 Ladies forming an elephant. The pranala looks beautiful. A Yazhi comes out of the main Yazhi’s mouth is a special feature.





HISTORY AND INSCRIPTIONS
The original temple belongs to the early Pandya period and later received contributions from Chozha’s, Vijayanagaras, and Travancore Kings. The recent renovations are carried out by TVS Group. The Pandyas period 8th to 9th century inscriptions are found on the sanctum sanctorum wall. (which corresponds to Nammalwar and Thirumangai Alwars' time).

As per Pandya King Maran Chadaiyans’ 4th reign year vattezhuthu inscription, this place was called as “ Vaikunta Valanattu Nattarrupokku Brahmadeyam – வைகுண்ட வளநாட்டு நட்டாற்றுப் போக்கு பிரமதேயம் and this inscription is at Chennai Museum.

Maravarman Sundara Pandyan- I’s, 13th reign year vattezhuthu inscription records that this place was called Rajaraja chaturvedimangalam ராஜராஜ சதுர்வேதி மங்கலம்”. From this, it is understood that, even though this place was under the Chozha Dynasty the name was not changed even in the Pandya Dynasty.

Travancore King Veeraramavarman’s (1439 – 1468 CE) period copper plate inscription records this place as Vaikunda valanattu Natrrattu pokku Thirukkurungudi - வைகுண்ட வளநாட்டு நட்டாற்றுப் போக்கு திருக்குறுங்குடி”, and Perumal was called asAzhagiya nambi  அழகிய நம்பி”.  The Copper plate further records that Perumal is sitting under Udhyamarthanda Umbrella, with bhujapala veera Soundarararamavarman Peedam
 
The Mottai Gopuram stands up to Kalkaram, built during the Vijayanagara period.  The mattaiadi mandapam with Yazhi pillars was built by the Pandya kings.  Next is the Rathi mandapam, with Rathi Manmathan sculpture pillars built during the Vijayanagara period. The Gopuram is 75 feet tall Chitra Gopuram was built in the 17th century.

The earliest inscription noticed is of the Pandya king Maranjadaiyan ( Varaguna –I ). Marañchadaiyan’s ( Varaguņa-I ), 4th reign year 772 CE, Vatteluttu inscription ( 127 lines ), on a stone set up in the northern side of the inner circuit, records that, the mahāsabhā of Vaikundavalanādu, a brahmadēya in Nāţţārruppōkku sold land freed from taxes, to one Panichavan Brahmādhairājan alias Chēndan Chattan of Nellittōl in Malainādu, who donated it for food offerings in the temple of Kurungudi.

Another inscription at Thirukkurungudi is a fragment from the 10th century that records an endowment of burning a Nuntha Vilakku/a perpetual lamp. For the same Fifty goats were also donated for its maintenance.

Thirukkurungudi inscription of Parantaka Nedunjadaiyan's fourth year shows that the huge reservoir called Vasudeva eri and certain minor reservoirs like Arakkulam and Nakkaneri kulam belonged to Vaikunta Valanadu, a larger brahmadeya in Nanguneri.

Pandya King Māravarman Sundara Pāņdya - I, 12th reign year 1228 CE, inscription on wall of the central shrine records the resolution of the mahasabhā of Rājarāja-chaturvēdimangalam to exempt, from taxes, the land shares being enjoyed by a Nambi in their village. Perhaps Nambi was a priest in the Vaishnava temple of Tirukkurungudi and therefore the resolution was communicated to the Śrīvaishnavas of that temple. The mahāsabhā undertook to add the remitted taxes to the taxes towards the kadaikkar jīvitam (?) in their village. The remitted taxes were kadamai, antarāyam, ulutānkudi, vari and vārapalam

The long inscription at the entrance of the Chitra Gopuram records how water from Uchi Malai flowed down through the Paralai River. In 1313 CE, a stone dam was constructed to divert the water to the northern river and a canal in Kalakkad. The inscription records that Ayyapallai Ayyan, the temple maniyam ( officer ), deputed Tirumalai Servaikaran and Tirumalai Asari to repair the dam and clean the canal to bring water back

The inscription on the wall of the inner sanctum states that the monastery that administers the temple was created in the 14th century as the Thirumangai Matam with offerings for Tridandi sanyasis.

Most inscriptions record gifts of land, usually in villages close by but also in far-off Kerala referred to as Malai Nadu. Kaladi and Meithuruthi are the two places mentioned. Most of these inscriptions are from the 13th century during the reign of Maravarman Sundara Pandyan.

One of the inscriptions records the endowment of food offerings, of 10 padi of amuthu, with proportionate quantities of kari amuthu, nei amuthu, elai amuthu, and adaikai amuthu. Purusha Narayana Per Eri, donated to the temple was used for this. The funds generated from fishing rights and charges for water supply to fields were used to buy materials for the feast.

A 13th-century inscription on the wall of the inner enclosure mentions Malava Chakravarti constructing the Azhagiya Manavala Perumal shrine in memory of his father

Travancore King Veera Ramavarman’s 1439 – 1468 CE, Cheppu pattayam records that this place was called Vaikunta Valanattu, NattaRRu pokku Thirukkurungudi, and Maha Vishnu as Azhagiya Nambi. The Cheppu Pattaya also mentions that Maha Vishnu is sitting under Udhaya Marthandan’s Kudai (umbrella), bhujapala Veera Soundararama Varman’s Peedam.

Travancore. Adityavarman, Kollam 644, 1468 CE period inscription in Tamil and Grantha on the bell hanging in front of the central shrine in the Nambi temple at Tirukkurunńgudi records the Gift of the bell The king, who is called as Adittan of Chiraivāy in Cheyatunga nādu.

The Ayyanar Temple, on the east side of the Village, Vijayanagara King Krishnappa Nayakar’s period (1562  - 1572 CE), stone inscription records the endowment of burning a lamp, for the same lands were gifted to the temple.  

This Vatteluttu inscription (SII –XIV, No 19, A.R. No. 128 of 1905) of Marañjadalyan is dated in the 4th reign year and registers a sale by the mahāsabhaiyar of Vaikuntha-valanādu in Nättärruppokku to Pañchavan Brahmādhirājan alias Sendan-Sattan of Nellittola in Malainādu, who made it over to the temple of god Emberuman, who was pleased to be stationed at Tirukkurungudi, for providing offerings, etc., therein. This record may, for paleographical considerations be assigned to Varaguna Mahārāja - I.

NOTE:
There is a shrine of the god Sästä in the Vishņu temple at this place. This is peculiar, and its existence has to be accounted for by the vicinity of Tirukkuruńgudi to Travancore, where worship of Sāstā is popular. Sendan Sattan of Malai nādu was evidently a Malayāļa brāhmans and he appears to have been a person of some note, as indicated by the title Panchavan Brahmādhirajan borne by him, apparently as a Pandya official.
A STONE BELONGING TO THIS NAMBI TEMPLE IS NOW IN THE MADRAS MUSEUM.

Ref:
1. South Indian Inscriptions - Volume - XLI ( Sl Nos 126 to 129 ) and Volume - XIV
2. The details of the temple by Mr Madhusoothanan Kalaiselvan on YouTube.
3. நெல்லை கட்டபொம்மன் மாவட்டம் கையேடு – Published by Tamil Nadu Archaeology Department.



LEGENDS
The temple at Thirukkurungudi was referred to in Varaha Puranam, Kaisika Mahatmiyam. As per the Puranas, this place is called Thirukkurungudi, Since Maha Vishnu Varaha Nayanar, one of the avatars, stayed here with Bhoomi Devi. Maha Vishnu in Varaha's avatar reduced himself. Hence this place is called Thirukkurungudi. This place is also associated with Maha Vishnu’s Vamana Avatar, in which, Maha Vishnu shortens himself.

As per the legend, once Iranyaksha tried to destroy this earth, Maha Vishnu to the Varaha avatar and retrieved back the earth. Bhoodevi asked Maha Vishnu/ Varaha Murti, how all living things on the earth attain the lotus feet of Maha Vishnu. Maha Vishnu replied that it can be attained through Music.

Nampaduvan, a Yazh player/musician/artist, and an ardent devotee of Maha Vishnu lived on the Mehendragiri Hill. He always worships Maha Vishnu with a song in kaisika pan. He used to worship, Maha Vishnu of this Thirukkurungudi, after observing virth/fast on Karthigai month valarpirai Suklapaksha Ekadasi day. One day, on the way to the temple, a Brahma Rakshasa, who was hungry, wanted to eat Nampaduvan. Nampaduvan promised to come back after worshiping Maha Vishnu, and he could eat. Since he belongs to the Banar Community, he was not allowed to come inside the temple. Since the Dwajasthambam was obstructing the darshan, Maha Vishnu asked to move to the side for the clear darshan for Nampaduvan. 

On the way Maha Vishnu in the form of an old man told Nampaduvan, not to venture in that way, since Brahma Rakshasa was waiting there to eat him. But Nampaduvan said that he had to go to Brahma rakshasa since he promised to come back after darshan. Satisfied with Nampaduvan’s bhakti and truthful behavior, Maha Vishnu Gave darshan. After reaching the spot, Nampaduvan asked the Brahmarakshasa now he could eat him. But the Brahma rakshasa said that he could not eat him since he was not hungry. Instead, the Brahma rakshasa asked to give him all the punya that he earned through worshipping Maha Vishnu. But Nampaduvan declined to give the same since Nampaduvam promised to offer himself after Ekadasi worship. The Brahma Rakshasa requests at least half of the punya, pleads for a quarter of the Punya, and finally begs for a very small portion of the punya, to get relieved of the curse. When Nampaduvan asked Rakshasa, what is a curse and why he had become Brahma Rakshasa. Brahma Rakshasa replied that, in his previous birth, Yoga Sharma, an andhanar, was not given due respect for doing Yagna, reducing the number of chants, offering bad food, etc,. Due to this sin, he has become a Brahma rakshasa. Brahma Rakshasa further said that he would be relieved only, if somebody gave some punya, after observing the Ekkadasi Virth. Nampaduvan said that he was under the shadow of Nambirayar. So Namaduvan advised Brahma Rakshasa to go to Nambirayar’s temple. Brahma Rakshasa went to the temple and worshipped Nambirayar. Nampaduvan gave the punya that he earned through worship of Maha Vishnu after observing the Ekadasi Virth. Brahma Rakshasa returned back to his previous birth form after shedding back Brahma Rakshasa.

In another legend, Nammalwar who was born in this place asked Azhagiya Nambi to give moksha, to Thirumangai Alwar. Thirumangai Alwar who was born at Thiruvali Thirunagari, attained moksha at this place. Thirumangai Alwar’s adhistanam is in the Village.  

When Ramanuja arrived in Tirukkurungudi Nambi took Manthra upadesam from Ramanujar, who gave him the name Vaishnava Nambi.

As per another Legend, King Kari, who ruled Alwarthirunagari didn’t have a Child. The King prayed to Thirukurungudi, Maha Vishnu, Nambirayar. Maha Vishnu asked the king what type of child he wanted. The King replied that he wanted the Child to be Similar to him. Nambirayar directed the King, to go in the East direction, the 4 eris meeting point where the ants will crawl in rows and Garudan will fly above them.

The King excavated the spot and found the Maha Vishnu’s idol. The King constructed a temple later called Vanamamalai Perumal Temple. With the grace of Maha Vishnu, the King was blessed with a child. The child was called Nammalwar, one of the 12 Alwars. 

POOJAS AND CELEBRATIONS
Apart from regular poojas special poojas are conducted. The 10 days annual brahmotsavam in the month of Chittirai, Vaikasi Jyeshtabhishekam, Pavitrotsavam in the month of Avani, Kaisika Ekadasi, Float festival during the month of Thai, etc,.
 
TEMPLE TIMINGS
The temple will be kept open between 06.30 hrs to 12.00 hrs and 16.30 hrs to 20.00 hrs.
CONTACT DETAILS

HOW TO REACH
This temple off 1 KM from the Cheranmadevi to Panagudi, a bus route 5 km from Nanguneri to Valliyur National Highway, 12 km from Valliyur, 16 km from Nanguneri,  41 km from Tirunelveli, 44 km from Nagercoil and Kanyakumari. 
The nearest railway Station is Valliyur.

LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE: CLICK HERE



Manmathan - Rathi 

--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA ---