17th June 2018.
This Sri Vaidyanatheshwara Swamy Shiva temple is one of the
Shiva temples of Panchalinga Temples in and around Talakadu. Sri
Pataleshwar Temple, Maruleshwara Temple, and Vaidyanatheshwara Temples are near each other and Arkeshwara temple and Mallikarjuna temples are outside
Talakadu. We visited the three Shiva temples out of 5 Shiva Temples in
Talakadu. This temple is at the entrance of the Talakadu Village
maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India ( ASI). The temple was completely submerged in the sand dunes till recent years. The same was cleared in 1911 CE by ASI. There is an interesting local legend behind this, which is given below.
Moolavar: Sri Vaidyanatheshwara Swamy
Some of the important details are ….
The temple faces east without any Rajagopuram. Balipeedam and Dwajasthambam are immediately after the entrance. A stucco
Rishabam is on a platform on the south side praharam.
HISTORY AND INSCRIPTIONS
This Sri Vaidyeswara temple complex was built during the 10th
century Gangas and patronized by the
latter kings Chozha, Hoysalas, Vijayanagaras, and Wodeyars of Mysuru / Mysore. Since the exact
period is not known, some claim that the temple was built by Madhavamandri (1350 CE) an eminent minister of the Vijayanagara King Harihara – I.
ARCHITECTURE
The temple consists of sanctum sanctorum,
antarala, Artha mandapam, maha mandapam and mukha mandapam. Urchavars/
processional deities with Nataraja are in the maha mandapam. Ambal sannadhi is
on the northwest of the same complex. The Sanctum Vimana was built with stucco
(Lime and mortar) during the 17th century. Huge Dwarapalakas are at the entrance of
Maha mandapam. The belly looks like Rishaba /bull’s face is worth seeing.
The niches are filled with decorative gods and goddess images
like Mahishamardini, Brahma, Saraswathi, Surya, Ganesha riding on a mouse (Mooshika), Kangalamurthy, Veerabhadra,
Tripurantaka, Chandrasekara, Mohini, Lakshmi, Bhairava, Varadharaja, Nataraja, of Vijayanagara period.
The base was constructed with sribandha adhistana consisting of
upana, jagati, katakavrita, kumuda, gala, kapota carved with muktagrasas. The face of the jagathy has the murals of a
row of bansas and elephants. The pillars of the assembly hall are of bhadrakanda
type of Vijayanagara architecture. The ceiling of the mukamandapa is built in
nabhichchbanda style. The lalada of the doorway has the relief of Gajalakshmi.
On the above a relief of Umamaheswara seated in sukhasana.
LEGENDS
As per the local legend, during the 17th century, the Mysore king Raja Wodeyar made Tirumalaraja also known as Ranga Raya as a caretaker of Srirangapatna. His second wife Alamelamma took over when her husband left for Talakadu. She had a lot of jewelry. When her husband was infected with an incurable disease, She headed towards Talakadu. When she was Travelling to Talakadu, the Mysore king sent his army people to rob the Jewelleries of Alamelamma. Fearing from the Raja Wodeyars army, She throws all the jewellery into the River Kaveri and ends her life by jumping into the river. Before jumping she gave a curse…
"Talakadu Maralaagi (Talakadu become sandy – தலக்காடு மணல்மேடாகட்டும்).
Malingi Maduvaagi (Malingi become whirlpool – மலிங்கி மடுவாகட்டும் ).
Mysore dhorege makkalagade hogali (Mysore kings never have children – மைசூர் மன்னனுக்கு வாரிசு இல்லாமல் போகட்டும்)."
To prove Alamelamma’s curse, the complete Talakadu was submerged under sand dunes and the same was excavated in 1911 by ASI. ( The actual reason may be due to the flood in the river and might have changed its course ). The Mysore Kings don’t have Children till the 20th Century. It was learned that the present King had a Child in recent years.
TEMPLE TIMINGS:
The temple will be kept open between 08.00 hrs
to 18.30 Hrs.
HOW TO REACH:
Talakadu ia bout 29 KM from T Narasipura and 45
KM from Mysore and 130 KM from Bangalore.
KSRTC buses are available from T Narasipura and
Mysore.
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE: CLICK HERE
Mahishamardini
Kongu, Avanashi
Sthalapurana
Veerabhadra
Kannappanayanar
Ganesha riding on
Mooshika
single face with 4 monkeys
Saraswathi
Arumugar
Iyyanar with Poorna & Puskala his consorts
The elephant head bird
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---
No comments:
Post a Comment