The visit
to this Rock Cut Cave No. 19, Udaigiri Caves, was a part of the “Bhopal,
Udayagiri Rock Cut Caves, Bhimbetka Rock Shelters, Sanchi, Bhojpur, and
Khajuraho – of Madhya Pradesh Heritage walk” organized by the எண்திசை வரலாற்று மரபுநடைக்குழு, between 25th and 28th December 2024.
This is a
group of 20 caves dating from the 5th Century CE. Caves Nos 1- 18 and
20 caves are near the top, while the remaining ones are at the foot of the
Hill. Cave No. 20 and possibly No. 1 also are Jaina Caves. All the rest are
Hindu. Some of these caves Notably No 5 and 6 possess fine figure sculptures.
The most interesting among them is the huge image of the Boar, the incarnation
of Vishnu. Caves 6,7 and 20 bear Sanskrit inscriptions in Gupta Characters, one dated in Gupta Samvat 82 (401-02 CE) and another in Gupta
Samvat 106 (425-26 CE). Two of these mention the name of the famous Gupta
Emperor Chandragupta-II. Cave No. 7 states that the emperor visited
this spot during his conquest and that the cave was made by Virasena, the
minister for war and peace who accompanied his master.
The ruins of a large temple and a monolithic pillar are on top of the northern half of the hill.
The Caves
were conserved by the Gwalior Archaeological Department in 1921 CE during the reign
of Maharaja Madhava Rao Scindia Alijah Bahadur of Gwalior.
Cave No.
19
The cave is known as 'Amrit Cave' because of the episode of Amritmanthan/Samudramanthan
carved on the lintel portion of its much-elaborated doorway. The scene depicts the well-known story of Samudramanthan (churning of the ocean for
obtaining nectar) and shows the mountain Mandar/Meru in the center on the back of
Kurma (tortoise), the second incarnation of Vishnu, with the mythical snake Vasuki
coiling around and forming a rope by which gods and demons churned the ocean.
The images of river goddesses Ganga and Yamuna are also depicted in the upper
part of the doorway with their respective vehicles crocodiles and tortoises. This
cave has a Sanskrit Inscription dated 11th century CE.
This Cave
19 is also called the "Amrita Cave". This is dedicated to Shaivism. It
is close to Udayagiri village. It is the largest cave in the Udayagiri Caves
group, being 22 feet (6.7 m) long by 19.33 feet (5.89 m) broad. It has four
massive square cross-sections, 8 feet (2.4 m) high pillars which support the
roof. The pillars have intricately decorated capitals with four horned and
winged animals standing on their hind legs, and touching their forefeet touch
their mouths. The roof of the cave, states Cunningham, is divided "into
nine square panels by the architraves crossing over the four pillars". The
temple was likely much larger with its mandapa in front, given the structural
evidence in the form of ruins.
The
doorway of Cave 19 is more extensively ornamented than other caves. The
pilasters are of the same pattern as the pillars inside. River goddesses Ganga
and Yamuna flank the doorway. Above is a long deeply carved sculpture
representing the Samudra manthan mythology, depicting Suras and Asuras churning
the cosmic ocean. It is this narrative of this Hindu myth that led Cunningham
to propose the name of the cave to be "Amrita Cave". There is a
carving near Cave 19 that shows Parvati's family, that is Shiva, Ganesha, and
Kartikeya. The cave has two Shiva lingas, of which one is a Mukhalinga (linga
with face). This cave had a Sahastralinga (main linga with many subsidiary
lingas), which was moved to the ASI museum in Sanchi.
Inscription
This Cave
19 has a Sanskrit inscription in Nagari script dated 1036 CE by a common
pilgrim named Kanha, who donated resources to the temple, and the inscription
expresses his devotion to Vishnu.
LOCATION
OF THE CAVES: CLICK HERE
--- OM
SHIVAYA NAMA---
No comments:
Post a Comment