17th August 2015
On 16th August I had been to Purasawalkam Sri Gangadheeswarar Temple . This visit was planned to worship Sri Oontreeswarar of Thiruvenbakkam, where Lord Shiva gave Oontrukol to Sundarar when he lost his eyes. The original moorthams were brought to this temple while constructing the Poondi reservoir. Lord Shiva wishes to stay here itself even after constructing a new temple at Thiruvenbakkam, the present Poondi. ( For details of my Thiruvenpakkam Visit -CLICK HERE )
From Guindy to Egmore went through Train and from Egmore Railway station walked up to temple. The route was Egmore Railway station – Poonamalle High Road- Dr Alagappa Chettiyar Road – Sri Gangadeeswarar temple Road.
PURASAWALKAM - SRI PANGAJAMBAL SAMEDHA SRI GANGADEESWARAR TEMPLE.
This temple is at Purasawalkam, a part of Chennai City close to Egmore.
Iraivan : Sri Gangadeeswarar
Iraivi : Sri Pangajambal
Some of the important features of this temple are....
- The temple is facing east with a 5 tier Rajagopuram.
- Dwajasthambam, Palipedam and nandhi are at the front side,
- In the outer prakaram sannadhi for Urchavar Mandapam with 63var, Sidhi Vinayagar, Vaidheeswarar, Sri Balasubramaniyar, Kuruntha Malleeswarar ( North Indians do abhishekam on their own hands),Ambal Temple Simha vakanam with pali pedam and Dwajasthambam, Sathya Narayana Perumal, Paana lingam without avudayar, Yaha salai, Navagrahas and Sri Ramalinga vallalar.
- In the outer prakaram walls sudhai reliefs of Shiva’s leela. They are Shiva’s anadha dhandavam, Carried mud to stop the water of vaigai for Pittu, Shiva kicking Yeman for Markandeyar, Kannapparapplying his eyes of Shiva, Burning Muppuram, Ravanan lifting Kailash, Shiva gave dharshan to Karaikal ammayar.
- The sthala puranam sudhai sirpangal are Bhakirathan not respecting Narathar and Narathar gave sabam, Bhakirathan worshiping Lord Shiva, Lord Shiva gave dharshan to Bhakirathan.
- In the inner prakaram sannadhi for Ambal, Naalvar, Maha Ganapathy, Naagars, Bhakirathan, Kasi Viswanathar, Sekizhar, Kulachirai Nayanar, Suryan, Sri Valli devasena Subramaniyar, Uchista Ganapathy, Sri Oontreeswarar, Minnoli ammai, Shanmugar, Durgai, Bairavar, Dhakshinamoorthy, Palliyarai, Bairavar, Chandran, Suryan, Natarajar Saba.
- Naalvar reliefs on the pillar in front of Moolavar snnadhi.
- Once this place was with large number of Pursu trees, hence this place was called as Purasavakam
- Sanctum is of agazhi type. In koshtam Vinayagar, Dhakshinamoorthy, Vishnu, Brahma and Durgai.
- The office telephone number is 044 26422487
- The temple web site : http://www.purasawalkamgangadeeswarartemple.tnhrce.in/
- The temple is kept open for dharshan between 07.00 Hrs to 11.00 Hrs and 16.30 Hrs to 21.00 Hrs
- Bus facility is available from various parts of the city.
- 2 KM from Egmore station vis Gandhi Irvin road – Nair Road – Dr Alagappa Chettiar Road – Gangadheeswarar rtemple road.
The 5 tier Rajagopuran.
Entrance view of the temple after Rajagopuram
Lord Shiva’s Sudhai statue – Bhakirathan is worshiping Lord Shiva. It was said that there is a light and show about the history of the temple after 19.00 Hrs
Sudhai relief of Shiva’s Leela – burning of Muppuram
Sudhai relief of Shiva’s Leela – Churning the par kadal – Vasuki the snake – as thread and Mount meru as mathu
The story of Gana pazham (ஞான பழம் )
Sudhai relief of Shiva’s Leela-Ravanan Lifting Kailash
The temple sthala puranam - Bhakirathan’s court where Ladies are dancing and Narathar was respected when he visited Bhakirathan’s court. Narathar gave him sabam to get the decease of mega noi. (மேக நோய் )
The temple sthala puranam - Bhakirathan Worshiping Lord Shiva – Ganga flowed from Shiva’s head and Bhakirathan relieved from the decease.
This set of moorthams belongs to Thiruvenbakkam, presently called as Poondi, Shiva temple. While constructing the Poondi Reservoir Moolavar Sri Oontreeswarar, Ambal Minnoli Ambal, Vinayagar, Subramaniyar, Bairavar were brought and kept in this temple. After some years the moorthams were installed in this temple itself. After completion of the Poondi reservoir the present temple at poondi was reconstructed and when asked to shift the original moorthams, Lord Shiva has not given permission and stayed here itself. One of the nandhi's horn is in broken condition due to hitting of Sundarar's oontrukol, which can be seen. The sivachariyar told that 6 kaala poojas were performed at Thiruvenbakkam and now one Kaala Pooja is performed ( For my Thiruvenpakkam visit - CLICK HERE ).
After dharshan , thought of worshiping Sri Agastheeswarar at Villivakkam. I had been to this temple once and we used to cross the temple around 05.00 Hrs on the way to Thirupathi Patha yathra. Lot of renovations has been carried out and kumbhabhishekam was also performed recently ( Due to renovation the temple lost it’s identity, how ? written separately ). Walked to the temple from Villivakam bus- stand. Tried to get the sthalapuranam, ( for knowing epigraph details ) but the book shop was not open. Epigraph details are not mentioned in the temple web site.
VILLIVAKKAM - SRI SORNAMBIGAI SAMEDHA SRI AGASTHEESWARAR TEMPLE
This temple is at Villivakkam a part of Chennai City and close to Bus terminus and Railway station.
Iraivan : Sri Agastheeswarar
Iraivi : Sri Sornambigai
Some of the important features of this temple are...
- The main entrance is from south with a Mottai Rajagopuram and the arch above was built in recent years.
- Dwajasthambam, Palipedam and nandhi are at the east entrance in the outer prakaram. Sannadhi for Naagars, Lingas, Vilvambigai, Aadhi Sankarar and Navagrahas.
- In the inner prakaram sannadhi for Surayan, Nandheeswarar ( with nandhi head ), Naalvar, Ganapathy, Urchavars, Kasi Viswanathar, Agasthiyar, Palani Andavar, Lakshmi, Saraswathy, Sri Valli Devasena Subramaniyar, Sandikeswarar, Bairavar and Chandran.
- Vinayagar and Subramaniyar are at the entrance of sanctum. Dwarabalakars are little big in size and cute.
- In koshtam Vinayagar, Dhakshinamoorthy, Vishnu, Brahma and Durgai.
- Sanctum is of Gajabirustam type and Agazhi type of construction. Moolavar is in an elevated position. In nagabranam looks cute.
- Ambal sannadhi is in the same prakaram facing south. Lord Shiva permitted Ambal to give dharshan to Agasthiyar with gold ornaments, hence Ambal is called as Sri Sornambikai. This sthalam is one of the 108 Sakthi sthalam.
- The history says that Agasthiyar Killed demons Vilvalan and Vatapi. To get rid of pramahathi dhosham Sri Veerabathirar helped Agasthiyar and got relieved. Hence Sri Veerabathirar sannadhi is opposite to South side entrance and facing north.
- Mars created a spring and worshiped Lord Shiva. Naagars are around Neem and Peepal tree on a raised platform. Devotees worship during Aadi Tamil month.
- The temple has Chozha Period inscriptions and proves that the temple exists more than 500 years. ( A separate post is written about the inscriptions)
- The telephone number is 044 26172326
- TNHRCE Dept Executive officer 9790996743 & Clerk 9952038155
- Temple web site : http://www.villivakkamagastheeswarartemple.tnhrce.in/
- The temple is kept open between 06.00 Hrs to 12.00 Hrs and 16.00 Hrs to 20.30 Hrs with 4 Kaala poojas.
- Villivakkam is well connected with various parts of Chennai city and a KM from Bus terminus and Railway station.
The south side entrance of the temple
The south side entrance of the temple Dwajasthambam, Palipedam and Nandhi on east side small entrance from Thirukulam
Moolavar Gajabirusta Vimanam
Moolavar Gajabirusta Vimanam - an another view
Devotees worship Naagars under Neem and Arasa trees.
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA---