Tuesday, 28 July 2020

Tiruvalleeswarar Temple / திருவலிதாயம் திருவல்லீஸ்வரர் கோயில்/ Tiruvalithayam / Thiruvalithayam, Padi, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.

This place, Thiruvalithayam, in the Thevara period, is now called Padi. This is the 21st Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam in Thondai Nadu. Since weapons for the war were stored in the temple premises, it is the so-called Padi. Sekkizhar mentioned the visit of Thirugnanasambandar in his Periyapuranam.


திருவேற்காடு அமர்ந்த செழுஞ்சுடர் பொன்கோயில்
        சென்று அணைந்து பணிந்து திருப்பதிகம் பாடி
வருவேற்று  மனத்து அவுணர் புரங்கள் செற்றார்
        வலிதாயம் வந்து எய்தி வணங்கிப் போற்றி
உருஏற்றார் அமர்ந்துறையும் ஓதவேலை
        ஒற்றியூர் கைதொழச் சென்று உற்றபோது
பெருவேட்கை தருவாழ்வும் பெற்ற தொண்டர்
        பெரும் பதியோர் எதிர்கொள்ளப் பேணி வந்தார்
... பெரியபுராணம்
Thirugnanasambandar has sung hymns in praise of lord Shiva of this temple.

பத்தரோடுபல ரும்பொலியம்மலர் அங்கை புனல்தூவி
ஒத்த சொல்லி உல கத்தவர் தாம் தொழுது ஏத்த உயர் சென்னி
மத்தம் வைத்தபெரு மான்பிரியாது உறை கின்றவலி தாயம்
சித்தம்வைத்தஅடி யார் அவர்மேல் அடை யாமற்று இடர்நோயே.

Moolavar  : Thiruvalleeswarar, Sri Valithaya Nathar.
Consort    : Sri Jagathambigai

Some of the important features of this temple are….
The temple faces east and has a 3-tier Rajagopuram. Balipeedam, Dwajasthambam, and Rishabam are after the Rajagopuram. In koshtam,  Vinayagar, Dakshinamurthy, Vishnu in place of Lingothbavar, Brahma, Durgai. Moolavar is a little big in size and swayambhu on a square avudayar.

Ambal sannidhi faces south. Standing in one place near the Rishabam, we could have the darshan of Moolavar and Ambal.

In the inner praharam are Urchavars and a Sannidhi for Somaskandar, Vinayagar (Vinayagar is with his two wives, Kamali & Valli). Subramaniyar, Meenakshi Sundareswarar, Nalvar, Hanuman worshiped lingam, Suryan, Bharadwaja Lingam, Bhairavar, Arunagirinathar, Balamurugan, and 63var (Complete 63 vars are not there). In the outer prakaram, Navagrahas and Guru Bhagavan. 

Arunagirinathar visited this temple and worshiped Murugan. Also  sang hymns in praise of Murugan.

    மருமல்லி யார்குழலின்                     மடமாதர்
        மருளுள்ளி நாயடிய                       னலையாமல்
    இருநல்ல வாகுமுன                           தடிபேண
        இனவல்ல மானமன                        தருளாயோ
    கருநெல்லி மேனியரி                         மருகோனே
        கனவள்ளி யார்கணவ                     முருகேசா
    திருவல்லிதாயமதி                              லுறைவோனே
        நிகழ்வல்ல மாதவர்கள்                    பெருமாளே
 
ARCHITECTURE
The temple consists of the sanctum sanctorum, antarala, and ardha mandapam. A two-tier brick Gajaprishta / Gajabrushta vimana is over the sanctum sanctorum. Stucco images of Shiva with Parvati, Dakshinamurthy, Maha Vishnu, and Brahma are on the Tala and Greeva kostams. 



HISTORY AND INSCRIPTIONS
The original brick temple existed between the 6th and 7th centuries. It was reconstructed during the Chozha period and extended during the Vijayanagara period. According to experts and Historians, the idols and sculptures belong to the 12th- to 13th-century Chozha Period.

The Thevaram hymns mention this place as Thiruvalithayam, which was corrupted to Thiruvallithayam during the Chozha Period. According to the inscriptions, this place was under the Jayangoda Chozha mandala Pauzhal Kottattu, Kundrathur Nattu (?) Thiruvallithayam. Lord Shiva was called Thiruvalithayamudaiya Nayanar and Thiruvallithaya-mudaiyar, and Ambal was called Thiruveethi Nachiyar (AR 217 of 1910). The inscriptions mainly record the donations in terms of Kasu (money) and land donated to the temple for poojas, prayers, Naivedyam, and celebrations.

மூன்றாம் இராசராச சோழனின் 10 ஆம் ஆட்சியாண்டு பொயு 1026, அர்த்தமண்டப வடக்குச் சுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு சென்னையில் உள்ள திருமங்கலம் பகுதியில் பிறந்த காரைகிழான் திருமலை உடையான் என்பவனும் பாடியில் வாழும் வெள்ளாளன் உய்யவந்தான் என்பவனும் திருவல்லிதாயமுடைய நாயனார் கோயிலில் இரண்டு சந்தி விளக்குகள் தினமும் எரிக்க,400 குழி நிலம் கோயிலுக்கு விலைக்கு வாங்கி பிறகு வழங்கி உள்ளனர். 400 குழி நிலத்தின் மதிப்பு 6 அன்றாடு நற்பழங்காசு ஆகும். சபை இறையிழிச்சு அளித்துள்ளது.
The Chozha king  Rājarāja III’s 10th year of reign 1026 C.Е., inscription on the north wall of the ardhamandapa in front of the Valliśvarar temple, records the grant of tax-free land measuring 400 kulis to the temple of Tiruvallidāyam in Pular Kottam for maintaining 2 twilight lamps by Tirumalaiyudaiyān and Uyyavandan. The land worth was 6 palaikāsu.

விஜயநகர வேந்தரான தேவராயனின் 10 ஆம் ஆட்சியாண்டு (பொயு 1419 சகம் 1342 விகாரி வருடம்),  கருவறை வடக்கு ஜகதிப்பட்டை உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, நுளம்பியாற்று மணஞ்சேரி என்ற நியாய பரிபாலனபேட்டை நிலவிற்பனையை இது குறிப்பிடுகிறது. விசையாலய நல்லூரான நுளம்பியாற்றுழார் இராச சிங்க விழுப்பரையர், கொங்கராயர், பெரியநாயனார், வல்லவரையர் ஆகிய காணியாளர்கள் திருவலிதாயமுடையார் கோயிலுக்கு நிலங்களை விற்றுள்ளனர். எல்லைகள் விரிவாகக் கூறப்பட்டுள்ளன. திருவலிதாயம் என்ற பெயருடன் பாடியும் கறைப்பட்டுள்ளது. இவ்விரண்டு பெயர்களும் தொன்மை வாய்ந்தவையாகும். நிலங்களின் விலை 180 காசுகள் ஆகும் தாங்களே இறை செலுத்துவோம் என்று கூறியுள்ளனர் இரண்டு மைப்படிகளும் ஒரே கல்வெட்டினைச் சுட்டுகிறது.
The Vijayanagara King Devarava’s 10th year of reign, 1419 С.Е, slightly damaged and incomplete inscription on the north wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine records the assignment of kani right of the village Niyāvaparipalanpettai to the temple of Tiruvallidayım udaiya näyanär for consideration of 180 väsıpadinarpanam by four persons holding the käni right of the village. It was stipulated that the tax and other dues in the state shall be paid by the seller of the käni.

விஜயநகர பேரரசு இரண்டாம் ஹரிஹர மகாராயரின் பொயு 1397 ஆம் ஆண்டு கருவறை வடக்கு, மேற்குக் குமுதத்தில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு மல்லன்ன உடையார் என்ற அதிகாரி திருவல்லிதாயமுடைய நாயனார்க்கு அரசின் சில வரிகளை ஒதுக்கி அவ்வாணையைக் குடிகள் நிறைவேற்றுமாறு கூறியுள்ளார். பட்டடைக்குடி செட்டிகள், கைக்கோளர், வாணிகர், எண்ணெய் வாணிகர் மற்றும் உள்ளிட்டார் செலுத்தும் பட்டடை ஆயம், பட்டடை நூலாயம், இரட்டித்து சர்வமான்யமாகக் கோயிலுக்கு வழங்க ஆணையிட்டுள்ளார். செக்குவரி மற்றும் உள்ள வரிகள் இதில் சேரும்.
The Vijayanagara King, Hariharāya II, 1397 С.Е. inscription on the north and west walls of the same shrine records the gift of taxes payable by the eighteen alias professional casts (Pattadai) of Pādi alias Tiruvalidayam in the temple of Tiruvallidāyam Udaiya nāyanār by the order of Mallanna udaiyār.

விஜயநகரப் பேரரசரான விருபாட்சிராயரின் பொயு 1472 ஆண்டு, கருவறை வடக்கு, மேற்குக் குமுதப் பட்டையில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, வேலூரில் பொம்மையா தேவமகாராஜா, பேரரசுக்குக் கட்டுப்பட்டு ஆண்டு வந்தார் என்பதையும், பொம்மையாதேவ மகாராஜா 4 விளக்குகளும் பொது ஜனம் ஒரு விளக்கும் கோயிலில் எரிப்பதற்காக 21 சோடி பணத்தை முதலீடாக அளித்துள்ளனர் என்பதையும் பதிவு செய்கின்றது. குறட்டூர் அகரம் இராசராச சதுர்வேதிமங்கல சபையார் திருவலிதாயமுடைய நாயனார் திரு முன்பு தினமும் விளக்குகள் எரிக்க உடன்பட்டுள்ளனர் குறட்டுரே தற்போது கொரட்டூர் வழங்கப்படுகிறது. பெருமக்கள் என்பதே பொது ஜனம் என்று வந்துள்ளது.
The Vijayanagara King, Virupākshā II’s 1472 CE inscription, on the west wall of the central shrine in the same temple, records the assignment of 21 Chodipaņam from Agaram Kurattür as a sarvamanya gift of Bommaiya dēva mahārāja for maintaining 5 lamps in the Tiruvaļlidāyamudaiyār temple in Ambattür-nādu. Now Kurattūr is called Korattür. 

தெலுங்கு சோழர் மதுராந்தக பொத்தப்பிச் சோழனுடைய 33-ஆம் ஆட்சியின், கருவறை மேற்குச் சுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு மன்னன் பிறப்பித்த உத்தரவை திருவலிதாயமுடைய வல்லீஸ்வரர் கோயிலுக்கு அனுப்பப்பட்டதைப் பதிவு செய்கின்றது. கோயில் திருப்பணிக்கும் திருஅமுது போன்றவற்றிற்கும் திருவலிதாய ஊர் வழங்கப்பட்டது. மன்னனே ஆணையில் ஒப்பமிட்ட விவரமும் கல்வெட்டில் உள்ளது. ஆட்சியாண்டு 33 என்றிருப்பதால் மூன்றாம் இராசேந்திரனுடைய கல்வெட்டாகக் கருதலாம். எனவே காலம் 1249 ஆகும். தெ.க.தொ.361 எண் 222- ஐ விடகூடுதலாக இதில் 2 வரி உள்ளது.
Teluguchola, Pottappi Chōla’s, 33 years of reign 1249С.Е., inscription on the west wall of sanctum sanctorum records the gift of the village of Tiruvalidāyam for the repair of the temple and the feeding of the māhēsvarās there in. The inscription ends with the signature of Gandagōpāla.

தெலுங்கு சோழர் விஜயகண்ட கோபாலனுடைய 3 ஆம் ஆட்சியாண்டு பொயு 1253, கருவறைத் தெற்குக் குமுதப் படையில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு திருவேகம்பமுடையார் பெருந்தெருவில் வாழ்ந்த தேவரடியார் தங்கச்சியார் மகள் கரிகால சோழப் பிள்ளையார் என்ற நாச்சியார் அம்பத்தூர் நாட்டு திருவலிதாயமுடையார் கோயிலில் திருவீதி நாச்சியார் மற்றும் நாயனார்க்குச் செப்புத் திருமேனிகள் செய்து வைத்ததுடன் பல அணிகலன்களும் அளித்துள்ளார். நெற்றிப்பட்டம், திருவிளம்பிறை, திருமங்கலநாண், முத்துக்கள், பவழம் கலந்த அணிகளுடன் பரிகலம், திருவாலத்தட்டு, அமுது வட்டில், முத்துவாளி மற்றும் வெள்ளி, பொன் ஆபரணங்கள் அளித்துள்ளார். கங்காதேவி என்ற நாச்சியார்க்கும் நகை அளித்துள்ளார். உள்ளூர் தேவரடியார் பொன்னாண்டையும் பட்டம் அளித்துள்ளார்.
The Telugu Chozha King Vijayaganda Göpäla Dēva’s, 3rd year of reign 1253 CE inscription on the south wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine in Tiruvalliśvarar temple at Pädi, records that a dancing girl of the Tiruvēgambam Udaiyä Näyanär temple at Kanchi consecrated the images of the goddess Tiruvidināchiyar in the temple and presented both to the god and goddess a number of jewels and vessels. Local devaradiyar, namely Ponnändai, also gifted jewels to the goddess.

மூன்றாம் இராசராசனின் 28 ஆம் ஆட்சியாண்டு, பொயு 1244, அர்த மண்டபம் தெற்குசுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, பாடியைச் சோந்த மாம்பாக்கிழான் பெருமாள் என்பவன் திருவல்லீஸ்வரர் கோயிலில் க்ஷேத்ரபால பிள்ளையாரை எழுந்தருளிவித்துடன் திருவமுதுக்காக ஐந்து நற்பழங்காசினை இக்கோயில் சிவப்பிராமணர்களிடம் அளித்துள்ளான் என்பதைப் பதிவு செய்கின்றது. அளக்கும் நாழியின் பெயர் திருஞானசம்பந்த நாழி.
The Chozha king Rajarāja Chola III’s 28th year of reign 1244 CE inscription on the south wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine records the gift of money (5palañkasu) for offerings to the shrine of Kshetra Palapillaiyār built in the same temple by a resident of Pādi. The donor's name was Māmpākkilān Perumal.

விஜயநகர அரசர் இரண்டாம் தேவராயரின் பொயு 1427 ஆம் ஆண்டு அர்த்த மண்டபத் தெற்குச் சுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, சந்திரகிரி ராஜ்யத்தைச் சேர்ந்த பலவற்றில் இடங்கையில் உள்ளாரும் வன்னியரும் திருவல்லிதாயமுடைய நயினாற்கு பாடியில் உள்ள பள்ளிகள் பேரில் இடங்கை வரி நீக்கி ஸர்வமான்யம் வழங்கியுள்ளனர். மற்றவரிடம் வசூலிக்கும் இடங்கை வரி இறைவன் திருவேட்டை திருவிழாவுக்கு வழங்கப்பட்டது. குறைவுறுப்பு வேறு கல்வெட்டுகளிலும் வந்துள்ளது. திருமெய்காப்பார்க்கு ½அளவு வரி செலுத்தினால் போதும் குடிகளுக்கு 3/4 அளவு வரி செலுத்தினால் போதும் என நிர்ணயக்கப்பட்டது. கல்வெட்டுத் தொகுதி 36-இல் எண் 215-கடைசி 3 வரிகள் இடம் பெறவில்லை. வன்னியர் வேறு, பள்ளி வேறு என்று இக்கல்வெட்டு கூறுகிறது. இனி, வன்னியப் பெரும்பிரிவில் பள்ளிகள் குறைவுறுப்பு என்றும் கூறலாம். தனிப்பிரிவாகக் கூறுகிறது.
The Vijayanaga King Devaraja II’s Year Plavanga. (Tamil rotating year)1427C.E, inscription on the south wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine records the gift of the tax idangai vari payable by Pallis of the village of Padi to the same temple by the community of Idangai classes and the Vanni yars living in the villages surrounding Chandragiri. No tax for people of Palligal living in Padi village. Other Idangai sect: ½ or ½ tax was fixed. Tiruvēţţai festival also mentioned in this inscription.

சோழ அரசர் மூன்றாம் இராசராசனுடைய 16-ஆவது ஆட்சியாண்டு, பொயு 1232 அர்த்த மண்டபத் தெற்குச் சுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, திருவல்லிதாயமுடைய நாயனார் கோயில் சிவப்பிராமணர்கள் ஒன்று கூடி உபயம் பெற்று கோயில் பணி செய்துள்ளனர் என்பதைப் பதிவு செய்கின்றது. மேலும் சோழமண்டலத்து நாங்கூர் நாட்டுத் திருவெண்காட்டுத் திருமடைவிளாகத்திலிருக்கும் திருவிடையான் திருவிராமீசுரமுடையான என்ற திருப்பதியம் விண்ணப்பம் செய்யும் திருச்சிற்றம்பலமுடையான, ஆச்சாயலிங்கமாக நாயனாரையும் அழகிய திருச்சிற்றம்பலமுடையார் (நடராசா) சிலையையும் செய்து வைத்துள்ளான் பூஜை, அமுதுபடி, சந்திவிளக்கு போன்றவற்றிற்காக அன்றாடு நற்பழங்காசு பத்துக் காசினையும் அளித்துள்ளார். மேலும் கோயில் சிவப்பிராமணர் மூவர் பெயர்களும் சாசனத்தில் உள்ளன. திருஞானசம்பந்தன் நாழி பயன்பாட்டில் இருந்தது.
The Chozha King Rajarāja Chola III’s 16th year of reign (1232 CE), inscription on the south wall of the mandapa infront of the central shrine records that a brahmana of Tiruvenkadu set up the god Alagiya Tiruchichirrambalam udaiya näyanär (Nadarasar) in the enclousure of the temple of Tiruvallidāyamudayan in Ambattür nädu a sub-division of Pular köttam in Jayangondasõļa mandālam and provided for offerings. Mentions the grain measure Tirugnänasampandan näļi.

சோழ அரசர்  மூன்றாம் இராசராசனுடைய 8 -ஆவது ஆட்சியாண்டு, பொயு 1224, அர்த்த மண்டபத் தென்புறச் சுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, செம்பூர் கோட்டத்துப் பரமேசுர மங்கலமுடையான் சிலம்பணிந்தான் யாதவராயர் பாண்டார், திருவல்லிதாயமுடைய நாயனார் கோயிலில் விளக்கொன்று வைத்ததுடன் தொடர்ந்து எரிவிக்க அன்றாடு நற்பழங்காசு மூன்றினைக் கோயில் சிவப்பிராமணரிடம் தந்துள்ளார்.
The Chozha King Rājarāja III’s 8th year of reign 1224 CE inscription on the south wall of ardha mandapam, records the gift of money (3 Palańkāsu) for lamp by a certain Silambanindan Yadavarāyar Pākkampāndar of Paramēsvara mangalam in Sempür köttam.

பார்த்திவேந்திரவர்மனுடைய  6வது ஆட்சி ஆண்டு, மதில் அருகே தனிப்பலகையில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, குறட்டூராகிய பராந்தகசதுர்வேதி மங்கலத்துச் சபை கோயிலுக்குரிய 1350 குழி நிலத்தை விற்று தந்த பதிவேடே இக்கல்வெட்டாகும். புலியூர் கோட்டத்து துடமுனி நாட்டு திருவலிதாயில் என ஊர் சுட்டப்படுகிறது. சபை மஞ்சக்கமான நில விற்பனையில் எல்லைகள் விரிவாக உள்ளன. அம்பத்துர் ஏரி, கொன்றூர் கால்வாய், சுட்டப்படுகின்றது. இறையிலியாக விற்றுத்தரப்படுகிறது. வாசகம் எழுதியவன் ஒப்பமும் மற்றவர் ஒப்பங்களும் காண்கிறோம். நுந்தாவிளக்கெரிக்க மேற்படி விலைப்பணம் முதலீடாக்கப்படுகிறது.
The King Pārthivēndra varman’s 6th year of reign inscription on the slab stone lying (erected) in the courtyard records the sale of 1350 kuli land for a perpetual lamp to the temple of Mahādēva at Tiruvalidāyil Tudamuni nādu, a sub-division of Puliyūr kottam by the assembly of Kurattür (Now Korattur), alias Parāntaka chaturvēdimangalam and Ambattür ērikil nādu, a sub-division of Pular köttam.

1. ஸ்வஸ்திஸ்ரீ கோப்பார்த்திவேந்திர பந்மந்தி யாண்டு ஆ
2. றாவது புழல் கோட்டத்து அம்பத்தூரேரிக் கீழ்நாட்டு
3. க் குறட்டூராகிய ஸ்ரீபராந்தக சதுர்வேதிமங்கலத்து
4. ஸபையோம் புலியூர் கோட்டத்துத் துடர்முணி நாட்டு 
5. திருவலிதாயில் மகாதேவ ர்க்கு யாங்கள் எம்மூர்த் 
6. தெ ன்கழனி ஸபை மஞ்சிக்கமான நிலம் விற்
7. பதற்குக் கீழ்பால் அம்பத்தூரே ரி நீர் கொந்-
8. ற்றூர்குப் பாய்ந்த காலின் மேற்கு தென்பால் 
9. அம்பத்தூரேரி நீர் வில்லிப்பாக்கத்துக்கும் கொன்றூர்-
10. க்கும் பாய்ந்த காலின் வடக்கு மேல்பால் ஸபை மஞ்ச்சிக்கும் வ
11. டபால் ஸபை மஞ்ச்சிக்கும் இன் நான்கெல்லை யுள்ளகப்ப 
12. ட்ட நிலம் பதினறுசாண் கோலால் ஆயிரத்து முன் நூற்றைம்-
13. பது குழியும் இது .......... 
Continued..


Puzhal Kottam

Ambattur
Thiruvalithayam (PC: Anbuvanthiyathevan)

முதலாம் இராசராசனின் 10 ஆம் ஆட்சி ஆண்டு பொயு 995 தனிக்கல்லில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, மத்திய அரசு கல்வெட்டுத்துறை படியெடுத்து பதிப்பித்துள்ள இக்கல்வெட்டு தற்போது இல்லை. எனவே தொகுதி 36 எண் 226 கல்வெட்டு மூலமே இங்கே இணைக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது. முதலாம் இராசராசனுடைய 10 ஆம் ஆட்சியாண்டின்போது திருவல்லிதாயமுடையார் கோயிலில் ஒரு நந்தா விளக்கு வைக்க 90 ஆடுகள் வழங்கிய விவரமே இக்கல்வெட்டில் உள்ளது.
The Chozha king Rajaraja-I’s 10th year, 995 CE, reign inscription on a separate stone slab is not available. So the original inscription from SII Volume 36 No 226 is given here. The inscription records the gift of 90 sheep for a perpetual lamp to the temple of Mahādēva at Tiruvallidayil in Tudāmuniyür nādu, a subdivision of Puliyür köttam, by Palayantali Ayanakkāļi, a Sankarappadi from Anithirappadi.

முதலாம் இராசராசனின் 23 ஆம் ஆட்சி ஆண்டு தனி பலகை கல்வெட்டு தற்போது கோயிலில் இல்லை. தெ.க.தொ.36 எண் 227 பாடமே இங்கு தரப்படுகிறது. முதலாம் இராசராசனுடைய ஆட்சியின் போது புலியூர்க் கோட்டத்து துடமுனியூர் நாட்டுத் திருவல்லிதாயில் மகாதேவர் கோயிலில் செங்கழங்கிழான் திருவேளி காளிப்பட்டன் உமா(மகேஸ்வர) செய்தளித்து திருவமுதுக்காக 120 காடி நெல் முதலீடாக வழங்க அதன் வட்டி கொண்டு திருவமுது படைக்கப்பட்டது.
The Chōla king Rājarāja-I’s 23rd year of reign,  inscription on the slab lying in the courtyard of the Tiruvallīśvaramudaiyār temple is not available now. Hence, the original record in SII Volume 36 No 227 is reproduced. The inscription records the gift of 120 kadi of paddy for sacred food offerings to the deity Uma consecrated by Chengalankiļān Tiruvēlikānippattan in the Mahādeva temple at Tiruvalidayil in Tudamuninādu, a subdivision of Puliyur Köttam.

திருவல்லீஸ்வரமுடையார் கோயில் அர்த்த மண்டபம் தரைப்பகுதி மற்றும் குருக்கள் வீட்டுவாயிற்படி உள்ள துண்டு கல்வெட்டுகள். முதல் துண்டு கல்வெட்டு சோழர் காலத்ததாக இருக்கலாம். திருவலிதாய ஊர்ப்பெயர் இடம் பெறுகிறது. நில எல்லை இடம் பெறுவதால் நிலக்கொடையாக இருக்கலாம். நின்றவூர் (தற்போது திருநின்றவூர் என்றழைக்கப்படுகிறது) இடம் பெறுகிறது. இரண்டாவது துண்டு மண்டபம் கட்டியதைக் கூறுகிறது.
The inscription on the steps of the Gurukkal’s house is in broken condition. The same inscription belongs to a later period and mentions land boundaries. mentions Ninravur village.
The second bit 2 is in modern characters. Mentions the construction of the mandapa.

மூன்றாம் இராசராசனுடைய ஒன்பதாவது ஆட்சியாண்டு மண்டபத்தின் தென்புறச் சுவரில் வெட்டப்பட்ட கல்வெட்டு, பழையதானத்தை உறுதிப்படுத்தி வெளியிட்ட விவரத்தைக் கூறுகிறது. சிந்தாமணிபுரத்தில் 1200 குழி நிலம் சூரியன் பையூர் நாடாழ்வாள் அசங்கா.(ஒருசில சொற்கள் மறைந்து விட்டன) முன்னதாக திருவலிதாயநாயனாற்கு வழங்கியிருந்தான். பூந்தோட்டம் இரண்டும் மனை இரண்டும் உட்பட குழி 1200 ஆகும். சாளுக்கி நாராயணன் யாதவராயன் மீண்டும் கோயிலுக்கு நிலம் வழங்க ஆணையிட்டுள்ளான்.
The Chōla king  Rājarāja III’s 9th year of reign, 1225 C.Е., inscription on the south wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine, seems to refer to an old grant of 1200 kulis of land as dēvadāna in Chintamanipuram to the temple of Tiruvalidāyamudiya Nāyanär by Nādālvān of Chūriyan Paiyyür. These lands were then regranted by Yadavarāyan.

Reference
தமிழ்நாட்டுக் கல்வெட்டுகள் தொகுதி – 30. திருவள்ளூர் மாவட்டக் கல்வெட்டுகள் தொகுதி - 2

The inscription (214 of 1910), without the King's name and period, records that Chitrambalamudaya Nayanar was installed from Thiruvenkadu for pooja. Andhanars are  also brought from there, and for their food, a land was donated in this Thiruvalithayam, which came under Jayangonda Chozha Mandalathu Puliyur Kottam, Sangama Chozha Valanadu. It also records that paddy is to be given to them, which should be measured in Thirugnanasambandar Nazhi, alias Marakkal.

Rajaraja-I’s 28th-year reign inscription (216 of 1910) records the construction of the Kshetrapala Pillaiyar temple, and Naivedyam land was also gifted to this temple.

During Rajaraja-I’s period, the inscriptions (218 & 219 of 1910) record that Naranan Yadhavarayan of Chalukya, two houses, and two Nandhavanam (flower gardens) in Chinthamanipuram, a part of Padi, were gifted to this temple. Also, Parameswaramangalathu Silambur Kottathu Silambanithan Madhavarayan donated gold for the lighting of the perpetual lamp. 

Ref:
1. Annual Report on South Indian Epigraphy, Year 1910. 


LEGENDS
This is also one of the Guru parihara Shalam in and around Chennai. The Guru, one of the Navagrahas, has incurred a curse out of his lust and desire. To get rid of the curse, Maharishi Markandeya advised Guru to worship Lord Shiva of this temple.

Bharadwaja, Ramar, Anjaneyar, Suryan, Chandran, Indiran, and Valiyan (as birds) worshiped Lord Shiva of this temple.

In another legend, Bharadwaja, son of Guru Bhagawan, was born to Valiyan (Sparrow – கருங்குருவி). Bharadwaja, depressed about his birth as Valiyan, did penance to Lord Shiva of this temple. Pleased by the devotion, Lord Shiva blessed him as the lord of birds. Hence, this place was called Thiru (Sri) Valithayam, and Lord Shiva was also called Tiruvalleeswarar.   

It was believed that this temple was used for storing weapons during the war; hence, this place was called Padi. (To support this, the temple authorities mention the Padavettamman, where soldiers stayed and prayed before the war, and offerings after the war, which included Navakandam).

POOJAS AND CELEBRATIONS
Apart from regular poojas, annual Brahmotsavam will be held in Chithirai (April-May), and special poojas are offered on Thai Kiruthigai (Jan-Feb), Annabhishekam in Aippasi (Oct–Nov), Thiruvathirai in Margazhi (Dec –Jan), Maha Shivaratri in Masi (Feb-March), pradosham and Guru peyarchi day / Transit day.  

TEMPLE TIMINGS
The temple will be kept open from 06.30 hrs to 12.00 hrs and from 17.00 hrs to 20.30 hrs.

CONTACT DETAILS :
The landline number is 044 2654 0706 and may be contacted for further details.

HOW TO REACH 
The temple is in Padi, an industrial area in the western part of Chennai (Wheels India and Lucas TVS bus stop). City and Town buses are available from various parts of the City.
The temple is about 7.5 km from Koyambedu,  9.6 km from Chennai Central, and 20 km from the Domestic Airport
The nearest Railway Station is Anna Nagar Metro (4 km), and the nearest Junction is Chennai Central.

LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE: CLICK HERE





---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

Monday, 27 July 2020

Thyagaraja Temple / Sri Thiyagesar Temple / Arulmigu Thiyagarajaswamy Temple / Padampakkanathar Temple / Adipureeswarar Temple / Manickathiyagar / Vadivudai Amman Temple / திருவொற்றியூர் ஆதிபுரீஸ்வரர் கோயில், Tiruvottiyur / Thiruvotriyur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.

This is the 20th Thevara Paadal Petra Sthalam of Thondai Nadu. This is an updated post on this temple, and for the earlier post, please click this Link. Moovar has sung hymns in praise of Lord Shiva of this temple.


Apart from Moovar, Saints Maharishis, Vallalar, Pattinathar, and many more praised the Lord Shiva of this temple. Sekkizhar has written about this place and how it flourished with various trees and plants even though it was close to the sea in Periyapuranam, and calls this place "Adipuri" /Adhipuri. Sekkizhar describes the arrival of Sundarar  to Thiruvotriyur as…

அண்ணல் தொடர்ந்து ஆவணம் காட்டி ஆண்ட நம்பி எழுந்தருள்
எணில் பெருமை ஆதிபுரி இறைவர் அடியார் எதிர்கொள்வார்
வண்ண வீதிவாயில் தொறும் வாழைகமுகு தோரணங்கள்
சுன்ணம் நிறைபொன் குடம் தூபம் தீபம் எடுத்து தொழ எழுங்கால்

Appar, Thirugnanasambandar, Sundarar, Pattinathar & many others have sung hymns on Lord Shiva of this temple.

விடையவன் விண்ணு மண்ணும் தொழநின்றவன் வெண்மழுவாள்
படையவன் பாய்புலித் தோல் உடையகோவ ணம்பல்கரந்தைச்
சடையவன் சாமவேதன் சசிதங்கிய சங்கவெண்தோடு
உடையவன் ஊனமில்லி உறையும் இடம் ஒற்றியூரே
திருஞானசம்பந்தர் தேவாரம்

ஒற்றி யூரும் ஒளிமதி பாம்பினை
ஒற்றி யூரும்அப் பாம்பும் அதனையே
ஒற்றி யூர வொருசடை வைத்தவன்
ஒற்றி யூர்தொழ நம்விணை ஓயுமே
…. திருநாவுக்கரசு சுவாமிகள்தேவாரம்

ஐயுந்தொடர்ந்து விழியுஞ்செருகி அறிவழிந்து
மெய்யும்பொய்யாகி விடுகின்றபோ தொன்று வேண்டுவன் யான்
செய்யுந் திருவொற்றி யூருடையீர்திரு நீறுமிட்டுக்
கையுந்தொழப்பண்ணி ஐந்தெழுத்து ஓதவங் கற்பியுமே
...பட்டினத்தார்

Sundarar came to Thiruvottiyur after the darshan of Sri Kalahastheeswar at Kalahasti. In his hymns, he recollects the memories of Thiruvarur and feels very sad for not having a darshan of Thiruvarur Thiyagarajar, and also for being separated for a long period. So he has sung as “paththimaiyum – பத்திமையும். 

பாட்டும் பாடிப் பரவித் திரிவார்
ஈட்டும் வினைகள் தீர்ப்பார் கோயில்
காட்டும் கலமும் திமிலும் கரைக்கே
ஓட்டும் திரைவாய் ஒற்றி யூரே
சுந்தரர் தேவாரம்

பத்திமையும் அடிமையையும் கைவிடுவான் பாவியேன்
பொத்தினநோய் அதுஇதனைப் பொருளறிந்தேன் போய்தொழுவேன்
முத்தினைமா மணிதன்னை வயிரத்தை மூர்க்கனேன்
எத்தனைநாள் பிரிந்திருக்கேன் என்ஆரூர் இறைவனையே
சுந்தரர் தேவாரம்

Moolavar  : Sri Padampakkanathar, Sri Adipureeswarar,
  Sri Manickathiyagar, Sri Putridamkondar, 
  Ezhuththariyum Peruman (எழுத்தறியும் பெருமான்)
Consort    : Sri Vadivudai Amman.

Why is this place called Thiruvotriyur?.
This place, Thiruvotriyur, has existed since the Paleolithic period with human habitation. As per the literature, this place was called Adhipuri; hence, this temple’s Lord is called Adhipuriswarar. Another version is that the creator of this universe, Brahma, created this place first; hence, this is called Aadhipuri. This place is also called Thiruvotriyur. Thiruvotriyur has different meanings. In Tamil, “oath” means a mortgage. Another meaning is “wiping out”. During Piralaya, this place was completely covered with water, and Shiva wiped out the water; hence, this place is called Thiruvotriyur. From the copper plate of Velanchery near Thiruthani, Vijayalaya Chozha’s father's name was mentioned as "Votriyuran". The same name appears in the Tiruchengode inscription also.  As per the Thevara hymns, the sea was very near, and they were able to hear the roaring sound of the sea waves.


The Rajagopuram and front mandapam…The east side of the Rajagopuram is of 5 tiers, with stucco images related to Saivism. Kumbha Pancharam is between the pilasters of the walls. This might have been built between the 10th and 13th centuries, probably during the Rajendra Chola period. The stucco images belong to the 16th-century Nayaka period. 


The front mandapam of the main shrine was built during the Chozha period. It is to be noted that the main sanctum and Rajagopuram are not on the same straight line. Thiyagesar Sannadhi was built during the 16th and 17th centuries. The fusion of the Chozha period mandapa with the later period Thiyagesar Sannidhi can be seen from the outside. The outer praharam has the 27 Shiva Lingas (old Lingas) representing the 27 nakshatras on the south side of the outer praharam.


The main sanctum front mandapa is called a "Nithya Yaga Sala", where yagam used to be conducted daily. This mandapa might have been built during the 12th Century, a later Chozha period. The ceiling has statues of Shiva’s Various forms. Of those, an amazing one is the small Pichadanar.  The dwarapalakas at the entrance of the main sanctum are worth seeing. The laladam of the crown has the simha image. Both crown images are different. Also, neither is installed on a pedestal. Since the inscriptions are on the back wall of the Dwarapalakas, they were brought from elsewhere and installed here. In the Nithya yaga mandapam near Natarajar Sannidhi, there is a Chandikeshwara, which belongs to the 8th to 9th Century.
 

Dwarapalakas
Dwarapalakas

In the inner praharam near Kaliya Nayanar Sannadhi, there is an old Chozha painting that was discovered during renovation and is faintly visible. Kaliya Nayanar, one of the 63 Nayanmars, belongs to this Thiruvotriyur. He spends all his money on lighting lamps for this temple. When he does not have money, he intends to light the lamp with his blood. When he tried to cut off his head, Lord Shiva appeared and blessed him. The inner praharam may belong to the 9th to 10th century. The pillars have the Chozha period inscriptions. The original temple may be of brick with a square base sanctum.  During the Chozha period, this was reconstructed as the Gaja Prishta sanctum with stone.








Chozha and Pallava Pillars

Vattaparai Amman Temple. This is actually a Saptamatrikas temple facing North. The Priests are not the usual Sivachariyars. For this sannidhi and Ambal Sannadhi, unmarried Kerala Namboothiris are performing pooja. It was learned that this Vattaparai Amman was treated as a Village deity, and animals were sacrificed. A balipeedam and Soolam were there in front of this temple, which were removed in recent years. The practice of sacrifice was also stopped a few years before. Since this sannidhi is very close to the main sanctum, the sannidhi might have been constructed at a later period.

Main Sanctum Sanctorum... Moolavar is in the form of an anthill, and abhisheka is done only to the avudayar. Moolavar is usually kept covered and will be opened only three days a year, from the Karthigai Deepam festival. Punuku and oil are applied. Iraivan is also called Padampakkanathar. As per the legend, the Snake Vasuki worshiped Lord Shiva and joined with Shiva with its body. This legend is very much associated with Kayarokana – Lakuleesa Pasupatha cult worship, ie, attaining Mukti and joining with Lord Shiva with the physical body. Incidentally, all Kayarokana Shiva temples are on the sea coast, in Nagapattinam, and a temple in Gujarat.


Thiagarajar sannadhi.  Thiyagesar is in the form of a Somaskandar. The flower decorations are done in such a way that Swamy and Ambal’s faces, with their hands, are only seen. The Nadanam of Thiyagesar is Ajaba. It was said that this Thiyagesar worshiping cult may belong to the Kalamukha sect, which wears spatika Kundala and Yagnopaveetha made out of hair. They ate food in Kapalam (the skull of the human head).  Appar has sung that Bikshadana came here after wandering in Mylapore. Thiagarajar is a Boga moorthy. During the procession, SomasKandar used to come out fully decorated with pooja articles. 12 people carried the open palanquin. On the outside of the inner Praharam wall and near the Thiagarajar Sannadhi, inscriptions were found. This speaks about donations like 28 Samaram and Thivetti made by the devadasis. One of the donors’ names was mentioned as “Sani Otriyur Akki”. Iraivan was also called Manikka Thiyagar. The sad part is that the inscriptions were covered by the flooring done in recent years. It was also said that, in the olden days, Somaskandar was brought out by the Devadasis. The main sanctum was built during the Chozha period. Later, the mandapam was added and renovated during the Vijayanagar Nayaks.

                             
Kowleeswar Sannadhi…. Kowleeswar Sannadhi is on the back side of the Thiyagesar Sannadhi. A form of Shiva holding a kapala and Trishul in the upper hands and lower hands is in chin mudra and meditating posture. This moorthy may be called "Agora Dakshinamurthy". People mistakenly claim him as Kowleeswarar and Lakuleesar.
 
"Agora Dakshinamurthy" and not the Lakuleesar or Kowleeswarar
As per the experts, Lakuleesa Pasupada Dakshinamoorth, known as Padresar

Bhairavar sannidhi…. A beautiful life-size Bhairavar with Jadamudi hangs down to the floor. A half-buried Bhairavi is also inside Shiva’s main sanctum, just opposite Bhairava. The presence of Bhairava and Bhairavi indicates that the Kapalika cult worship existed earlier.

Bhairavar sannidhi
Natarajar Sannidhi...

Thiripada Thiri Moorthy

Vadivudai Amman Temple… The Amman faces south with a separate balipeedam, Dwajasthambam, and Simha vahana. The whole temple is also called Vadivudai Amman Temple. For this sannidhi and Vattaparai Amman Sannadhi, Kerala Namboothiris, who are also unmarried, are doing pooja. It was said that Sankarachariyar brought Namboothiris from Kerala to do pooja to Ambal. A chakra was also installed by him. Thyagaraja Swamikal has sung hymns on this Ambal. Vallalar also sang Navamani Malai. Pattinathar, Vallalar, Sankaracharya, and Kanchi Periyava worshiped Lord Shiva and Ambal of this temple.
 


The 15th-century Arunagirinathar has also sung hymns on Murugan of this temple

கரியமுகில் போலு மிருளளக பார கயல்பொருத வேலின்      விழிமாதர்
கலவிகளில் மூழ்கி ம்ருகமத படீர களபமுலை தோய              அணையூடே
விரக்மது வான மதனகலை யோது வெறியனென நாளு           முலகோர்கள்
விதரணம தான வகைநகைகள் கூறி’விடுவ தன்முன் ஞான  அருள்தாராய்
அரிபிரமர் தேவர் முனிவர்சிவ யோகர் அவர்கள்பு ழோத          புவிமீதே
அதிகநட ராஜர் பரவுகுரு ராஜ அமரர்குல நேச                                குமரேசா
சிரகர் கபாலர் அரிவையொரு பாகர் திகழ்கனக மேனி                யுடையாளர்
திருவளரு மாதி புரியதனில் மேவு ஜெயமுருக தேவர்               பெருமாளே

HISTORY AND INSCRIPTIONS
It is believed that the original temple existed during the 6th-7th Century and was reconstructed in 750 CE during the Thondaiman period. In 1936 CE, Kumbhabhishekam was conducted after renovation by an ardent devotee called Thiruvottiyuran Adimai. The renovation work took 14 years, and he was present on all days. Later, Kumbhabhishekam was conducted in 1998 and 2013.

As per the inscription, Thiruvottiyur was under Jayangonda Chozha mandalam, Puzhal Kottam, Puzhal Nadu. The Grantha inscription mentions Adipuri, and Lord Shiva was called Adipureeswarar.  During the Chozha period, Lord Shiva was called Mahadevabhattaarar, Thiruvotriyur Mahadevar, Otriyur Alwar, Thiruvotriyur Nayanar, and Padampakka Nayakadevar. The inscriptions also mention the festival celebrated as Panguni Uthira Thiruvizha (on the 6th day, Urchavar will be kept, and the pooja will be done under the Mahizha Tree, and Sundara’s Sripuranam will be staged), Ani Thiruvizha, Masi Maga Thiruvizha, etc.

PALLAVA PERIOD INSCRIPTIONS
The Pallava king Nrpatungavarman’s 18th reign year, 887 CE inscription on a slab in the verandah round the central shrine of the Adhi-purīśvara temple, states that the sabha of Manali (a suburb of) Tiruvorriyūr received five kalañcu of gold, the fineness of which was tested with the (village-touchstone) (ürkkay-cemmai), endowed to god Mahādēva of the village by Paliyan Pilli, one of the queens of Videlvidugu-Pallavaraiyar of Umbala-nādu and agreed to provide without default four nālis of well pounded old rice by the (standard measure called) karu-nāli, one ulakku of ghee; one adukku of betel-leaves, five areca-nuts and four plantains, for offerings on the day of sankranti as fixed interest (nilaippoliyūttu) every month. By default, they also agreed to pay a daily fine of 44 kānam to the dharmāsanam. 

The Pallava King Kampavarman’s 7th reign year 876 (?) inscription, on a slab built into the floor of the mandapa in front of the central shrine in the Adhipurisvara temple, registers an agreement given by the sabhaiyar of Manali, a hamlet of Tiruvorriyür, in respect of 15 kalańcu of gold, the fineness of which was…. 

(This inscription must be a copy since it is engraved in continuation of an inscription where the king's name is lost and followed by a record of Aparajita, the first line of which is engraved in continuation of the present inscription. 

The Pallava King Kampavarman’s 9th reign year 878 (?), on a slab built into the floor of the mandapa in front of the central shrine in the Adhipuriśvara temple, Seems to register an agreement given by (the sabhaiyar of ūrār) of Püdür in Nāyaru-nādu, (a s d.) in Pular-kōttam in respect of 60 kalañcu of gold, of which 30 kalañcu was endowed by Amarnidi alias Pallavadiyaraiyar of Kancantur in Indalur-nādu (a s.d.) of Cola-nādu for a perpetual lamp and 30 kalañcu by another donor (name lost), a resident of Pulimārru in Kalmāy-nādu, (a s.d.) of Puliyürk-kōttam, for another perpetual lamp, the fineness of which was tested by village touch-stone (ürkkar-cemmai), that they would remit annually nine kalañcu of gold, being the interest on the gift-money, fixed at the rate of three mañcādi per kalañcu per year, in instalments of 4½ kalañcu every six months, the term commencing from the month of Tiru (?) (in the same regnal year) to the ani of Tiruvorriyür for the supply of ghee for the lamps and provide four meals daily to those who would come to collect the interest.

The Pallava King Kampavarman’s 1st reign year 880 -86 (?), inscription on a slab built into the floor of the verandah round the central shrine in the Adhipurīśvara temple, Records an agreement given by the ürar of Vaikkāttür, a suburb of Tiruvorriyür, in Pulal-nādu (a s.d.) of Pular-kōttam in respect of 27 kalañcu of gold received from Pudi Arindigai, wife of Vidēlvidugu [llańkove][ļār] of Kodumbāļūr family in Kō-nādu to provide for food-offerings with well hulled old rice, 50 plantains, ten palam of sugar, areca-nuts, betel leaves, cocoanut to god Mahādēva at Tiruvorriyür on the days of sankranti out of the interest on the gift money, fixed at the rate of three mañcādi per kalañcu per year, that they would deposit two kalañcu and mancadi of gold, every six months, the term commencing from the month of [Va]yyāśi (Vaikāśi) in the same regnal year, to the ani of Tiruvorriyūr and (pay a fine?) out of [2]00 kādi of paddy (in case of default) made up of the guarantee (?) (talaiccēmādu) for the gold viz., 40 kādi of... daya-p-patta-nel, 20 kādi of mudisuttup-[pā]-tta-nel and 20 kādi of mulapattip-patta-nel of Somadevan, and 120 kādi of paddy from the land called 'Jy-et [rap] pulam' (owned by) Vaikkādu kiļār. 

The Pallava King Kampavarman’s 19th reign year, 888 (?) CE, inscription on a slab built into the floor at the entrance into the second prākāra of the Adhipurīśvara temple, registers the sale of certain rights of irrigation and 20,000 kuli of land, house-sites made tax-free by the sabhaiyar of Manali, a suburb of Tiruvorriyūr, to Nirañjana-guravar of Tiruvorriyūr, who endowed the same as dēva-bhōga to the temple of Nirañcanēśvarattu Mahādēva at Tiruvorriyūr, which was constructed by him. The sale deed was written by the madhyasthan of the village, viz., Rudrappottar Kumārakālan, when he was present in the avanankuri and at the command of the sabhaiyar. The documents signed by several members of the......sanganattar of Manali, viz., (1) Vedavür Vennaya-kramavittan, (2) Kaļattür Nilavēțpai, (3) Kandarańgaśarman, (4) Asarai Bhavasvāmi-bhattan, (5) Seruppalli Veļikumāra-bhattan, (6) Irāyür Kumāra Kunraccadań-gavi, (7) Komburattu Sankaranārāyana-kramavıttan, (8), Karāmbiccețțu Māppa-kramavittan, (9) Seruppalli Candraśarman, (10) Vinnür Nārāyana-kramavittan, (11) Asarai Somadēva-kramavittan, (12) Kaļattür Kāļakumāra-bhattan, (13) Tirumundakkilavar Nārāyana-ccadańgavi, (14) Neduvētpür Druggaya-kramavittan, (15) Kaļattür Rāvidāsa-kramavittan, (16) Andirattār Candaya-ccadańgavi, (17) Kaļattur Nıladiccadangavi, (18) Sentoruttür Söma-cadańgavi, (19) Pulalür Kāļidoņaya-kramavittan, (20) Pārkulattu Nāgaya-bhattan and (21) (Tiruvorriyur) madhyasthan Rudrappottar Singanambi.

The following persons figured as witnesses, viz., (i) Tiruvorriyūr Panripāk-kiļān Porri, (ii) Tangotticatti, (iii) Peruntalaikkāvadi Tiruvorriyūrān, (iv) Kumaran, and (v) Soman.

The inscription refers to the lands of Mämbākkiļān, Pulalür Pōśar Pärkulattar, Seruppalliyār, Kārāmbiccețțār, Kommālaiyār, Neduvētpūrār, Andirattar, Kombaruttär, Irāyūrār, etc., as the boundaries of the land sold. Among the boundaries of the land extensively enumerated is the tank called Tenkeri.

The engraver of the record was Tiruvorriyür-ācāryan, alias Parameśvaran, son of Samundācāryan.

1. The inscription is damaged in the middle.

The Pallava King Aparajitavarman’s 4th reign year 889 CE inscription, on a slab built into the floor of the verandah round the central shrine in the Adhipurīśvara temple, Registers an agreement given by the sabhaiyar and the amrta-ganattar of Ādampākkam, a suburb of Tiruvorriyür, in respect of thirty kalañcu of gold, the fineness of which was equivalent to that of the village touch-stone (ürkkarcemmai), gifted by Amatti alias Kurumbakōļali, the mistress (bhōgi) of Vayiramēgan alias Vāņakōvarayar, for burning a perpetual lamp with ghee in the temple of god Mahādeva at Tiruvorriyür out of the interest on the gift money, fixed at the rate of three mañcādi per kalañcu per year. (They also agreed to pay) 2½ kalañcu of gold every six months, the terms commencing from the month of Aippigai (Aippaśi) in the same regnal year to the Ani of Tiruvorriyūr. 

The Pallava King Aparajitavarman’s 4th reign year, 899 CE inscription, on a slab built into the floor of the verandah round the central shrine in the Adhipurīśvara temple, records an undertaking of the sabhaiyar and the amrta-ganattar of Ādampakkam, a suburb of Tiruvorriyür, in respect of 30 kalañcu of gold, the fineness of which was equal to that tested by the village touch-stone (ürkkar-cemmai), gifted by Sappakkan alias Patradāni, the mistress (bhōgi) of Vayiramēgan alias Vāņakovarayar, son of Sami-Akkan for burning a per-petual lamp in the temple of god Mahādēva at Tiruvorriyür, with ghee, out of the interest on the gift-money, fixed at the rate of three mañcādi per kalañcu per year. (They also agreed to pay) 24 kalañcu of gold every six months (the term of payment) commencing from the month of Appigai (Aippási) (in the same regnal year), to the ani of Tiruvorriyür. They also agreed to provide two meals a day to the persons who would come to collect the interest and to pay a daily fine of 8½ kānam to the court (Dharmāsana) for failure, without producing undıgai and pattigai.

The Pallava king Aparajitavarman’s 6th reign year, 901 CE inscription, on a slab¹ built into the floor of the mandapa in front of the central shrine in the Adhipuriśvara temple, Registers an undertaking by the sabhaiyar of Manali, a suburb of Tiruvorriyür in respect of sixty kalañcu of pure gold received from the Panmāhēśvaras for burning two perpetual lamps to god Mahādēva at Tiruvorriyür, that they would remit 4 1/2 kalañcu in place of the interest thereon calculated at the rate of three mañcādi per kalañcu per year on the gift-money, at the end of every six months starting from the month of Kārttigai, to the ani of Tiruvorriyür. They also agreed to give two meals to the persons who would come to collect the interest. In case of any default, they agreed to pay a fine of 8½ kanam per day at the Dharmāsana without showing undigai and pattigai.

The Pallava King Aparajitavarman’s 7th reign year, 902 CE, inscription, on a slab built into the floor of the mandapa in front of the central shrine in the Adhipurīśvara temple, registers an undertaking of the sabhaiyar and the amrta-ganattar of Adambakkam, a hamlet of Tiruvorriyur in Puliyur-kōttam, (in respect) of thirty kalañcu of pure (ürkarcemmai) gold endowed by Mādēvi-Adigal, (queen of Aparajita), for burning a perpetual lamp to god Mahādēvar of Tiruvorriyūr, received by them that they would remit to the ani of Tiruvorriyür biannually 24 kalañcu of gold, the interest fixed on permanent basis (nilaippoliyūtțu), calculated at the rate of the three mañcādi per annum and give two meals a day to those persons who would come for the collection of the interest. They also agreed to pay, on default, a fine of 41 kāņam at the Dharmāsana, without presenting undigai and pattigai.

The Pallava King Aparajitavarman’s 8th reign year, 903 CE, inscription on a slab built into the floor of the mandapa in front of the central shrine in the Adhipurīśvara temple, Records an undertaking of the ūrār of Tiruvorriyūr, also called as the karmakkilavar in respect of 60 kalancu of gold, the fineness of which was tested by the village touch-stone (ürkkarcemmai) endowed by Kattūrudaiyān Paiytāngi Kandan, chief of Kattür in Innambar-nādu, a s.d. of Cola-nādu on the north bank(of river Kāvéri) for supplying, on the day of his asterism viz. Śōdi (Svāti), specified items of sacred offerings with half of the endowed money, i.e., 30 kalañcu, for burning a perpetual lamp with (the remaining half), i.e., 30 kalancu, that they would, in place of the interest payable at the rate of three mañcādi per kalañcu per year, on the endowed money of 60 kalañcu, supply the required provisions (for worship and lamp), to god Mahādēva of Tiruvorriyūr. The sacred offerings included sixteen nāli of well-hulled old rice, six nāli of ghee for snapanam (ablution) and tiruvamirdu (sacred food-offerings), eight plantains, one palam of sugar, one vegetable for kariyamirdu (vegetable preparation), 80 betel leaves and ten areca-nuts, for tiru-adaikāy-amirdu, 30 tender cocoanuts, the required items for pañca-gavya, sandal paste, incense, and camphor.

The Pallava King Aparajitavarman’s 12th reign year  907 CE inscription, on a slab built into the floor of the mandapa in front of the central shrine in the Adhipurīśvara temple, refers to a gift of land after purchase from a resident of the village Igaņaimüdür, to the god Siva of the temple of Coļamālyīśvaragaram at Orrimüdür, to provide for the worshipping priest and for food-offerings, perfume, incense, and a perpetual lamp.

The Pallava king Aparajitavarman’s 5th reign year 900 CE inscription on a slab built into the pavement of the south side of the first prahāra in the Välmikanātha temple registers 30 kalaicu of gold by Kuttiyali-Brahmādhirajan of Tirukkada-vür-nādu in Muttukkür-nādu, for a perpetual lamp to god Mahādeva at Tiruvorriyür. The endowed amount was deposited with the sabhaiyar of Manali, bearing interest at the rate of three mañcādi per kalañcu (per month).

References:  
1. ARE, 1911, 1912, 1937-8, no. 165; Ibid., part ii, para 25, 87.
2. South Indian Inscription Volume - XII
3. The inscriptions of Pallavas by T V Mahalingam.  

CHOZHA PERIOD INSCRIPTIONS
This inscription on a pillar lying to the south of the tank in front of the temple is dated in the 16th year of Parakésarivarman Uttama-Chôla. It refers to a scrutiny of accounts of the temple of Tiruvorriyûr made in this year and registers the assignment of a gold salver to the temple by the headman of Elinûr in Purangarambai-nadu. The district in which Purangarambai-nâdu was situated is not given; but we know from other records that it was in Arumolidêva-valanâdu also called Ten Kaduvây². The village of Elinur mentioned in the record may be identified with Elalur in the Tirutturaippandi taluk of the Tanjore district.

The sanctum sanctorum adhistanam has inscriptions of the Rajendra period in Sanskrit, and many inscriptions record donations made to this temple for burning lamps. Some of the donations are in terms of “Sava Moova Peradu /ewes," which means that at any point in time, the number of goats offered should not decrease. The name of the architect/sculptor of this temple is Veera Chozha Ravi Thachan. One of the inscriptions speaks about an officer who had not collected the tax from the property belonging to this temple, which was called “Shiva Thuroki,” and his property was confiscated and attached to this temple.  In one inscription, there was a 15% interest in terms of gold as tax to be collected once in six months, and food for the collector should be provided.

The inscription on the right-side wall (back of right-side Dwarapalaka) records a land distributed to 10 people who staged the life story of the Sundarar in the presence of Sathuranthantha Pandithar, Vasika Pandithar, Soma Siddhanatha Pandithar, and Otriyur Battar. In that, it is mentioned that the land value should be the same as the land that was sold at Dhandeeswaram, part of Chennai City.  

As per the Kerala Culture website, the 960 CE Chozha period inscription records that Valluvanad (a part of Malai nadu, present Kerala) King Vallabhan was a friend of Chozha King Rajadithya, who was killed by Rashtrakooda King Krishnan-III (his prince Bhutuka). The depression over his failure to join his friend in the war and his death prompted him to abandon worldly pleasures and adopt the name Sathuranana Pandithan to become the head of Tiruvottiyur Madam. Kulasekara King Vijaya Ragadevan is mentioned in the inscription. The Rajendra Chozha-I’s 31st-year reign inscription mentions that on Rajendra Chozha’s birthday, ie, Margazhi Thiruvathirai, Thiruvotriyur Thirumayanamudaiya Sthuranana Pandithar deposited 150 Kasu  for ghee to this temple of Lord Shiva.   

There were a lot of madams that existed during the Chozha period, and some of them are Sathuranan Pandithar Madam (Rajendran-I Inscription), Kulothunga Chozhan Madam, Rajendra Chozhan Madam (Built by Nagalavvaisani, an Arya woman belonging to Mehalapuram of Arya desam), and Angarayan Madam (Vijayanagara King Harihara-II period).

திரு ஒற்றியூர் கோயிலில் ஒரு கல்வெட்டு ராட்டிரகூட கன்னரதேவனின் 22 ம் ஆண்டைச்சார்ந்தது். இதில் கன்னரதேவனின் தாய் பூலைச்சி ராணியார் ஒற்றியூர் இறைவனுக்கு கோயிலில் விளக்கு எரிக்க 30 கழஞ்சுகள் அளித்ததைக் குறிக்கிறது. அந்தப்பொன் புழல்கோட்டத்து அம்பத்தூர் கீழ் ஏரிநாட்டு குறட்டூரான பராந்தக சோழ சதுர்வேதி மங்கல சபை யாரிடம் நிவந்தமாக வைத்ததாக கல்வெட்டு கூறுகிறது. ஆக குறட்டூரான பராந்தக சோழ சதுர்வேதி மங்கலம் தற்போது சென்னையில் உள்ளது. கல்வெட்டு காலம் 961AD.

This inscription (No. 106 of 1892) is engraved on the west and south walls of the first prâkâra of the Adhipuríśvara temple at Tiruvorriyûr in the Saidâpêt tâluka of the Chingleput district. The name of the temple is derived from Adhipura, i.e. the mortgage-village, which is the Sanskrit equivalent of Orriyur. That this Śiva temple is a very ancient one follows from the fact that Orriyûr is mentioned by each of the three authors of the Devâram.

Like the two next following inscriptions (Nos. 65 and 66), this one belongs to the Chozha King Râjakésarivarman, alias Rajendra-Chôladêva (II.)’s 2nd year of reign inscription from the Chellûr plates of Vira-Choda; we know that Rajendra-Choda was the original name of Kulôttunga I., who is distinguished from his maternal grandfather Parakésarivarman, alias Rajendra-Chôla I., by the surname Râjakésarivarman. That the Râjêndra-Chôla of this inscription is identical with Kulottunga-Chôla I. follows from its historical introduction, which mentions the capture of elephants at Vayirâgaram and the conquest of the king of Dhârâ at Sakkarakottam. The first of these two deeds is also referred to in the later inscriptions of Kulôttunga I. 

And both these and the Kalingattu-Parani report that he conquered Sakkarakõttam when still a Yuvaraja. Further, the subjoined inscription says that he took possession of the eastern country, by which his original dominion, the country of Vêngî, may be meant. Perhaps he took Vêngî from his uncle Vijayâditya VII., who appears to have received it from the Chôla king Virarajêndra I. The southern limit of the dominions of Rajendra-Chôla II. in the second year of his reign is perhaps roughly indicated by a line connecting Tiruvorriyûr, Tiruvalangadu and Kôlâr, the localities of the inscriptions Nos. 64 to 66. The subjoined inscription implies that he felt himself already at that time as a member of the Chôla family to which his mother and grandmother belonged, and not as an Eastern Chalukya, because it mentions as his crest the tiger, and not the boar. But he cannot yet have taken possession of the Chôla country on the banks of the Kâvêrî. For, his victory over the Kuntala king (Vikramaditya VI.) and his accession to the Chôla throne are referred to only in later inscriptions of his, and in these he bears the new name Kulûttunga, which, to judge from verse 11 of the Chellûr plates, he assumed on the very occasion of his coronation as Chôla king and after his victory over Vikramaditya VI."

The purpose of this inscription is to record that a general, whose name we know already from an inscription of Adhirajendra, granted 240 kasu, which the temple authorities employed for purchasing certain land from five villages. Three of these belonged, like Tiruvorriyûr itself, to Pulalnâdu, a subdivision of Pularkôttam; one to a subdivision of Puliyûr-kottam; and the last to Elumûr nâdu. Both Pulal' and Puliyûr now belong to the Saidâpêt tâluka. Pulal nâdu must have comprised the north-eastern portion of that taluka, where we find Tiruvorriyûr and two of the three other villages which the inscription locates in Pulal-nâdu, viz. Manali and Ambilavâyil. Elumûr-nadu owes its name to Elumbûr (Egmore), now a portion of the city of Madras.

This inscription (No. 106 of 1892) is engraved on the west and south walls of the first präkars of the Adhipuriśvara temple at Tiruvorriyûr in the Saidapêt taluka of the Chingleput district. The name of the temple is derived from Adhipura, ie, 'the mortgage-village,' which is the Sanskrit equivalent of Orrigúr. That this Siva temple is a very ancient one follows from the fact that Orriyûr is mentioned by each of the three authors of the Devaram.

Like the two next following inscriptions (Nos. 65 and 66), this one is dated in the 2nd year of the reign of Rajakésarivarman, alias Räjëndra-Chôladeva (II.). From the Chellûr plates of Vira-Choda we know that Rajendra-Choda was the original name of Kulôttunga I., who is distinguished from his maternal grandfather Parakésarivarman, alias Rajendra-Chola I., by the surname Räjakésarivarman. That the Rajendra-Chola of this inscription is identical with Kulöttunga-Chôla I. follows from its historical introduction, which mentions the capture of elephants at Vayiragaram and the conquest of the king of Dhara at Sakkarakottam. The first of these two deeds is also referred to in the later inscriptions of Kulöttunga 1. And both these and the Kalingallu-Parani report that he conquered Sakkarakõttam when still a Yuranija. Further, the subjoined inscription says that he took possession of the eastern country, by which his original dominion, the country of Vêngi, may be meant. Perhaps he took Vengi from his uncle Vijayāditya VII., who appears to have received it from the Chôla king Virarajendra I*. The southern limit of the dominions of Rajendra-Chola II. in the second year of his reign is perhaps roughly indicated by a line connecting Tiruvorriyûr, Tiruvälangadu and Kõlar, the localities of the inscriptions Nos. 64 to 66. The subjoined inscription implies that he felt himself already at that time as a member of the Chôla family to which his mother and grandmother belonged, and not as an Eastern Chalukya, because it mentions as his crest the tiger, and not the boar. But he cannot yet have taken possession of the Chola country on the banks of the Kaveri. For, his victory over the Kuntala king (Vikramaditya VI) and his accession to the Chôla throne are referred to only in later inscriptions of his, and in these he bears the new name Kulôttunga, which, to judge from verse 11 of the Chellûr plates," he assumed on the very occasion of his coronation as Chôla king and after his victory over Vikramaditya VI."

The purpose of this inscription is to record that a general, whose name we know already from an inscription of Adhirajendra, granted 240 kasu, which the temple authorities employed for purchasing certain land from five villages. Three of these belonged, like Tiruvorriyûr itself, to Pulal-nâdu, a subdivision of Pularkottam; one to a sub-division of Puliyûr-kottam; and the last to Elumûr-nâdu. Both Pulal' and Puliyûr now belong to the Saidapêt tâluka. Pulal-nâdu must have comprised the north-eastern portion of that taluka, where we find Tiruvorriyûr and two of the three other villages which the inscription locates in Pulal-nâdu, viz. Manali and Ambilavâyil. Elumûr-nadu owes its name to Elumbûr (Egmore), now a portion of the city of Madras.

References
South Indian Inscriptions Volume -III.

LEGENDS
As per the legend, Thondaiman was ruling Kanchipuram, and this place was a part of it. Two small kings, Onnan and Vannan (Demons?), refused to submit to Thondaiman’s authority. Thondaiman led a war against the two Kings. The two Kings (demons) ate Thondaiman’s army. Thondaiman sought the help of Sage Vromasa to fight against the demons. The sage gave a Dharbai leaf, which he threw at the Demons. The Tharbai leaf transformed into mazhu (a weapon of Lord Shiva) and chased the demons away from the territory. Thondaiman was an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva, and he reconstructed this temple in 750 CE. He also constructed Parivara Devadas temples and installed 1000 Lingas, brought from Kasi.   

Moolavar is called Padampakkanathar since “Vasuki” got Sivadeeksha from Upamanyu Maharishi and worshiped Lord Shiva of this temple. Lord Shiva accepted  Vasuki on his body; hence, Lord Shiva is called Padampakkanathar.

Lord Shiva is called Ezhuththariyum Peruman – எழுத்தறியும் பெருமான்- since during the king's rule, all the orders/circulars were sent, in which it was stated as – except Otriyur இவ்வாணை ஒற்றியூர் நீங்கலாக”- This is mentioned in Periyapuranam written by Sekkizhar.

    ஏட்டு வரியில் ஒற்றியூர் நீங்கல் என்ன எழுத்து அறியும்
    நாட்டம் மலரும் திருநுதலார் நறும் பொன்கமலச் சேவடியில்
    கூட்டும் உணர்வு கொண்டு எழுந்து கோதுஇல் அமுதுஇசை கூடப்
    பாட்டும் பாடிப் பரவி  எனும் பதிகம் எடுத்துப் பாடினார்

Kaliya Nayanar, one of the 63 Nayanmars, was from this place. He used to worship Lord Shiva daily by lighting a lamp. He continued even during poverty. At one stage, he couldn't do it and tried to kill himself, and Lord Shiva appeared and blessed him. 

Kaliya Nayanar

POOJAS & CELEBRATIONS
Apart from regular poojas, special poojas are done on Vattapparai Amman Urchavam in Chithirai, Vasantha Utsavam in Vaikasi, Aani thirumanjanam in Aani, Aadi Pooram, Avani Moolam, Vinayagar Chathurthi, Navaratri, Kanda Sashti Utsavam, Thirukarthigai (Moolavar Kavasam will be opened and "Thaila Kappu" will be done, kept open for 3 days to general public’s darshan), Manickavasagar Urchavam, Thai Poosam with Theppotsavam, 10 days Brahmotsavam in Masi (which includes Mahizhadi Thiruvizha, Mahashivaratri and important days. 

TEMPLE TIMINGS
The temple will be kept open from 06.00 hrs to 12.00 hrs, and from 17.00 hrs to 21.00 hrs.

CONTACT DETAILS
The Temple office Phones: 044-2573 1032, 2573 3703
E-Mail: vadivudaiamman@tnhrce.com.

HOW TO REACH
City Town buses are available from Various parts of the City.
The temple is about 1 km from Tiruvottiyur Railway Station,  11 km from Chennai Central, 26 km from Koyambedu, and 28 km from Meenambakkam Airport.
The nearest Railway Station / Junction is Chennai Central.
The nearest Metro is Theradi Metro.

LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE: CLICK HERE



Votreeswarar Sannadhi



Ayyanar
Valapi sculptures
Valapi sculptures
Chandikeswarar
Nandhavaneswarar Sannadhi Under construction
Nandhavaneswarar Sannadhi After Completion
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---