The
Visit to this temple was a part of the “Trichy Heritage Walk” organized by
“Yaaooyakay – யாஊயாகே- Group”, to the Historical Chozha
period temples, in and around Trichy aka Tiruchirappalli, scheduled on 20th
& 21st March 2021. Even after the damages done by the Muslim
invaders, they still stand majestically with 1000 and odd years of history,
Heritage, and cultural values. Even though they were contributed by the Pallava,
Chozha, Pandya, Vijayanagara Kings, and the present Nattukottai Nagarathars,
they are less popular.
Moolavar : Sri Sundareswarar Temple
Consort : Sri Komalambigai
Some
of the salient features of this temple are...
The
Temple faces east with an entrance arch. The stucco images of Lord Shiva
with Parvati as Rishabroodar, on both sides are Vinayagar, Valli Devasena
Subramaniar, Parvati, and Lord Shiva on their respective vahanas. Balipeedam and
Rishabam are in front of the Entrance arch. In Koshtam Dakshinamurthy, Maha
Vishnu.
In
the praharam Agandeswarar (The experts think this must be a half-buried Dwarapalaka) – a Theenda Thirumeni, Saptamatrikas, Bhairavar,
Chandikeswarar, Vinayagar, Valli Devasena Arumugar, Arunagirinathar, Thavvai/Jyeshta Devi with Mandhan and Manthi, Durga, Navagrahas, Maha Ganapathy and
Dhandapani.
Ambal
is in a separate temple on the Northeast of the temple complex facing South. Ambal
is in a standing posture.
ARCHITECTURE
The
Temple complex consists of Sanctum Sanctorum, antarala and artha mandapam. The
dwarapalakas are at the entrance of the sanctum with jada maguta, padra kundalam,
Sarapalli, yagnopaveetha, and protruding side teeth. They were believed to
be from the early Chozha period. The adhisthana is of simple padabandha adhisthana
with three patta kumuda. A Two-tier Vesara Vimana is over the Sanctum. Maha
nasis are on the Sikaram in all four Cardinal directions. Dakshinamurthy, Maha
Vishnu, and Brahma are in the griva koshtam.
The
temple was constructed with stone from Adhisthana to Prastaram. Vishnukantha
pilasters with regular features of kalasam, kumbha, palakai, etc are on the
sanctum walls. The kapotha is with Nasikoodu and Chandramandalam. Bhuta ganas
are in the valapi. viyyalavari is in the bhoomi desam.
HISTORY AND
INSCRIPTIONS
There
were 13 inscriptions recorded from this temple. The earliest inscription
belongs to Arinjaya Chozha. The other inscriptions belong to, Uthama Chozha,
Rajendran-I, Rajathirajan-I, Rajathirajan-II, Vikrama Chozha, Sundara Pandyan, and 20th Century. Hence it is believed that this temple belongs to the 10th Century. As per the inscription this place was called Maravaneri and Lord Shiva was called Maravaneeswarar. This place was also called Nangai Brahmadeyam alias Arinjigai Chathurvedimangalam.
An
inscription records the endowment of celebrating the birthday with special
poojas of Irukkuvelir descendants, Bhuthiparantaka’s Queen PeralNagai, for which
1080 kalanju gold was gifted to the temple. To equate this gift, a 3.5 veli
land was exempted from the Tax and treated as devathanam by the Sabha.
The
Village Sabha increased the musical instruments from 2 to 4 and manpower/musicians also increased suitably. For the same land was gifted for their
livelihood.
Another
inscription records the endowment of burning a perpetual lamp with ghee by a
Merchant called Maravaneri Udayan. For which 33 kasu was gifted.
Sundareswarar
Temple thirupani was done at Rs 10000, by N N Ramanatha Iyer in the
year Kaliyugathi 5045 and Tamil Year Subanu ( 1933- 34 )
Sri
Komalambigai Temple thirupani was carried out between 1939 – 1940 at
Rs 5000 by Nangavaram Periya Pannai N A Renganatha Iyer.
In
the Year 1952 – 53, the north side of the compound wall near Sri Subramaniyar
sannidhi was reconstructed for Rs 3500 by N R Sundaraja Iyer and and
N N Ramanatha Iyer.
The
temple’s arch thirupani was done at Rs 1000, in the year Thurmukhi –
Hevilambi, ( 1956 – 57 ), by Nangavaram Periya Pannai N N Ramanatha Iyer.
Sri
Sundareswarar Sanctum Sanctorum, Vimanam, Artha mandapam, Maha mandapam
thirupani / maintenance and replacement of terrace tiles was carried out between
2002 – 2005 at 275000 by Nangavaram Chinna Pannaiyar N L Durai Iyer’s
family.
The
entrance arch salakara Panchamoorthy are in stucco, Nandhikeswarar Mandapam,
Vimana Thirupani was done by N S Rajagopalan, daughter Mrs. Radhamani &
Muthu Krishnan in memory of their father, Nangavaram Periya Pannaiyar, N R
Sundararaja Iyer at 1.25 Lakhs in the year 2002 (started) -05 (Completed). Maha Kumbhabhishekam was conducted on 20th June 2005.
LEGENDS
As per the legend a female child was born with the human body and a Fox’s/Jackal face (Horse face), to a Chozha King. He went to
many temples to change to human face. When he came to this place Nangavaram,
Lord Shiva came in his dream and advised him to bring the Shiva Linga from Kasi
and worship him, which is being worshiped by a Maharishi. The King ordered his
men to bring the Shiva Linga. His men brought the Shiva Linga and a temple was
built by the Chozha King. The Chozha King worshiped this Lord Shiva and his
daughter’s Fox’s face has turned to Human face. Hence this place was called “Nangaivaram”, which has been corrupted to the present name of Nangavaram.
In the meantime The Maharishi Akandeswara came to
know through Lord Shiva that the Shiva linga worshiped by him is at this place.
It was dusk when he reached this place and the temple was also closed. So he
jumped the compound and stuck up in the mud and stayed here. Hence he is
worshiped as Akanda Eswarar and treated as Theenda thirumeni. For applying sandal paste, it was told that the paste was thrown from a distance. All the
poojas conducted to Lord Shiva are also conducted to this Aganda eswarar.
POOJAS AND
CELEBRATIONS
Apart
from regular poojas, special poojas are conducted Thai Poosam in the month Thai (Jan – Feb),
Vaikasi Visakam in the month Vaikasi ( May – June), Vinayagar Chathurthi in
the month (August-Sept),
Annabhishekam & Skanda Sashti (6 days) in the month Aippasi (October –
November), Deepavali in the month Oct, Karthigai
Somavaram 108 Sangu abhishekam in the month Karthigai (Nov – Dec), Panguni
Uthiram in the month Panguni (March – April), Maha Shivaratri in the month
Masi (Feb – March) and monthly pradosam.
TEMPLE TIMINGS
The
temple will be kept open between 06.30 hrs to 12.00 hrs and 16.00 hrs to
20,.00 hrs
CONTACT
DETAILS
HOW TO REACH
This
temple is 20.9 km from Woraiyur, 25.00 km from Srirangam Temple, 22 km from
Main Guard Gate, 23.5 km from Central Bus stand and Railway station, 74 km from
Thanjavur, 105 km from Kumbakonam and 343 km from Chennai.
The nearest
Railway Junction is Tiruchirappalli.
LOCATION OF
THE TEMPLE: CLICK HERE
---
OM SHIVAYA NAMA---
அற்புதம் அண்ணா ! வாழ்த்துக்கள்
ReplyDeleteநன்றி பிள்ளாய்...
Deleteஅருமையான பதிவு
ReplyDeleteநன்றி ஐயா தங்களுடைய கருத்திற்கு...
Deleteஅருமை ஐயா
ReplyDeleteநன்றி.. நன்றி
Delete