16, September 2012
This is the 25th Padal
Shiva Sthalam of Thondai Naadu. Once
it was a south end of Chennai city and
now it is south part of petra ( City expands ). Chennai City
Even though I had been to this temple at Thiruvanmiyur many times, one of the Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam in Thondai Naadu, this may be special dharshan for me. On 16th Sep 2012, I had a chance to worship lord Shiva of this temple and also I had been to Sri Bamban Swamikal samadhi. It is just 10 Km from our residence. There are two Rajagopuram on the east side, of which one is constructed in this 21 century ( But the temple was constructed early 11th century ) and one Rajagopuram on west side along
The temple and moolavar are facing west. But we have to go to main shrine through south side entrance after worshiping Thiyagarajar. Moolavar is suyambu white in colour and scars of kamadhenu’s leg on moolavar is found, since Kamadhenu worshiped Lord Shiva. Only milk abhishekam is done to moolavar and the rest of the abishekams are for aavudayar only. In koshatam, Brahma, Durgai, Vishnu, Dhakshinamoorthy and Vinayagar. In the Prakaram Sannadhi for, Vinayagar, Naalvar, Gajalakshmi, Subramaniyar with Arunagirinathar, Natarajar, Shiva Lingams ( 108 ), Sri Unnamalai, Arunachaleswarar, Shiva on Rishabha vaganam and arupathumoovar sila roopam
When we go round outer prakaram we can worship Vinayagar, Sthalaviruksham with Naagars and Ambal. Ambal is in standing posture in a separate temple near the east side entrance facing south. There is no koshta moortham in the nitches of ambal temple. There is a silaroopam for Sukravaara Amman in the prakaram facing west. Sarabeswarar pudai sirpam ( relief ) in one of the pillar of the Ambal temple is to be seen. Sri Subramaniyar and Sri Vinayagar Sannadhis are facing east at the east side entrance. There is also a 4 pillar mandapam on the left side of the east entrance. In the south side wall, Iratai vinayakar, Office, lecture hall and Gosaalai.
Between the east side Rajagopurams on the left side there is a theerthakulam called Chithiraikulam. Opposite to Chithraikulam there is cultural hall called Thiyagarajar kalai arangam. Out side of the temple, by the side of vehicle parking there is a another thirukulam with neerazhi mandapam at the centre.
Iraivan: Sri Aushatheeswarar, Sri Maruntheesar, Sri Paalvanna Naathar .Iraivi : Sri Thiripurasundarai, Sri Chokka nayagi, Sri Sundara nayagi.
Some of the special features of this temple are….
- There is a devotee called Appayatheekshithar used to come for worship lord shiva from Velachery ( In older days it was called as Vethesnaery.) When he was not able to come near to the temple due to flood around, Lord Shiva himself turned to west and gave dharshan to him.
- Lord shiva danced and gave dharshan to Vaanmeeki Munivar.
- Lord Shiva taught the herbal medicine to Agasthiyar in this temple, hence Lord Shiva is called a Authastheesar or Maruntheesar ( in tamil ).
- The dwarabalakaras Dhandi and mundi are the not the normal sila roopam with gadha in their hands.
- Devars, Suryan, Brungi munivar worshiped lord of this temple.
- Thiruganasambandar and Appar has sung hymns in praise of Lord Shiva of this temple.
- The Samadhi of Sri Pamban Swamygal is about 0.5 Km from this temple.
- It is believed that Suryan worshiped lord Shiva during night, hence important functions are held during night including kodiyetram.
- Regular Vilakku pooja is conducted during Aadi month.
- One of
the latest kalvettu in front of
Ammansannadhi says, a devotte gifted a land with house to this temple and the income from the property should be used for this . If any amount is not given, it is a Paavam equivalent to extinguishing the deepam of moolavar Sannadhi. ( This shows the intense faith on this lord and the paavam and punyam ) temple urchavam
- The temple is facing west with Dwajasthambam, Palipeedam and nandhi. Murugan sannadhi is at the east side entrance.
HOW TO REACH:
- Town buses available from various parts of the city and very near to Thiruvanmiyur city Bus stand
- Land line number is : +91 44 2441 0477
( Newly constructed east side RajaGopuram with sun shade)
( 16 pillar mandapam with vehicle parking on east side with Rajagopuram on the back ground.
( This is the Sri Thiyagarajar Kalai Arangam where dance program /religious discourses are conducted )
( West side Rajagopuram - view from Dwajasthambam)
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA ---