Wednesday, 21 June 2017

VITTHALA TEMPLE – HAMPI RUINS, A HERITAGE VISIT.

 ... a continuation post to Sri Virupaksha temple, Hampi ruins.  
19th June 2017
The Vitthala temple, Lakshmi Narasimha and Badavi linga temples are covered after the lunch. This Vitthala temple is on the way to Kampali from Hampi, about 1.5 KM off the main road. Battery operated vehicles are there for commuting  from the main road on chargeable. Some of us preferred walking. 
  
Moolavar : Sri Vitthala

This is one of the master piece of the Vijayanagara architecture with a massive enclosure with a 5 tier Rajagopuram which is ruined now facing east. There two other rajagopurams on south and north. The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu  in the form of Vitthala. From the inscription Vitthala is known as Vitthaleswara. The sanctum existed since Devaraya II ( 1422- 46 AD). Latter expanded by the Vijayanagara Kings, especially  Krishna Devaraya (1509 -1529 AD) had contributed a lot.

Garudalwar sannadhi / stone chariot ins in front of the mahamandapam and Deepa sthambam in front of east side Rajagopuram had fallen down now. In the outer prakaram sannadhi for Thayar, Kalyana mandapam, 100 pillar mandapam and Utsava mandapam. The sanctum sanctorum consists of Sanctum, Antarala, Arthamandapam and mahamandapam.

The mahamandapam has symmetrically recessed on sides and stands on a ornate adhistanam with sculptured friezes of horses, soldiers, elephants and swans. The adhistanam has also miniature vimanas with incarnations of Lord Vishnu. Interestingly we found a Jain Theerthangara in one of the Vimana. The prominent feature of the mahamandapa is with continuous frieze of bas reliefs of deities and other images. Fragments of original decorative parapet made of brick bonded with lime mortar  with niches and images in kutas can be seen.

The mandapa has 56 pillars  of about 3.6 meters high, of which 40 are forms the 3 sides and 16 pillars forms the  centre court. Each pillar has the massive composite  sculptures. The pillars has the reliefs of Deities, animals, Squatting lions, women dancers, drummers, clowns etc. The entrance pillars are of Yali type. The centre court yard is open to sky now and visitors are not allowed to climb the maha mandapam.  

The kalyana mandapa is on the south east side of the temple complex, constructed  similar to Mahamandapam. The utsava mandapa is on the northeast  side of the outer prakaram  built by Krishna Devaraya.

The Thayar sannadhi was built like a separate temple  with sanctum, antarala,  arthamandapa, and a maha mandapa with a sub sannadhi facing north. The roof and vimana was damaged completely.

The Garudan  sannadhi is constructed like a chariot with meticulous decorations with four wheels. The stone chariot is the proto type model of a wooden ratha. The super structure made of brick with stucco images are missing now.
LOCATION:CLICK HERE

A Shiva’s dance posture stucco image on  a Vishnu temple Rajagopuram


 Kalyana mandapam




ceiling panel..

ceiling panel..

Garudan sannadhi- A chariot style with reliefs 
Garudan sannadhi- A chariot style with reliefs 
Garudan sannadhi- A chariot style with reliefs 
Garudan sannadhi- A chariot style with reliefs





Adhitanam reliefs, elephants, horse, Horse traders etc,.

Adhitanam reliefs, elephants, horse, Horse traders etc,.

Adhitanam reliefs, elephants, horse, Horse traders etc,.

Adhitanam reliefs, elephants, horse, Horse traders etc,.

Adhitanam reliefs, elephants, horse, Horse traders etc,. 
Adhitanam reliefs, elephants, horse, Horse traders etc,.

Adhitanam reliefs, elephants, horse, Horse traders etc,.

Adhitanam reliefs, elephants, horse, Horse traders etc,.

Adhitanam reliefs, elephants, horse, Horse traders etc,.

Adhitanam reliefs, elephants, horse, Horse traders etc,.

Is this  Jain theerthangara ?  with mahara thoranam in a niche of the mahamandapa adhistanam- 

Vitthala Bazar a huge bazaar with a sacred Lokapavani tank is constructed  in front of the Vitthala temple measures 946 meters in length and 396 meters width. Remnants of the dilapidated mandapa in either side of the pathway remain as mute testimony to the ancient market existed during its golden days.




Kudure gombe ( toy horse ) mandapa. On the left side of the path way a shrine with sanctum, Antarala and a open arthamandapa called Kudure Gombe. The pillars has the sculptures of horse riders in standing position. The mandapam was used during processions and urchavams.

Gejjala ( Parankusha) mandapa. This is a 16th century AD Mandapa on the way to Vitthala temple near the starting point of the main road. This mandapa is used to alight the deities during processions.

.... to be continued ( Lakshmi Narasimhar Temple )
---Om SHIVAYA NAMA---

No comments:

Post a Comment