24th
August 2019.
The Visit to this
Penneswaraswamy/Pennai Nayanar temple at Penneswaramadam was a part of the Heritage walk to the Temples, Hero stones (Nadukal – Veerakallu), and Rock
arts in & around Kaveripattinam in Krishnagiri
District. Thanks to Mr. Sadanandam Krishnakumar, who organized this Visit along with Mr. Srinivasan and the Participants Mrs. Sakthi Prakash, Mr. Gandhirajan, Mr. John Peter and Dr. Saravanakumar Ramachandran. The temple is on the South bank of the river Thenpennai.
Moolavar : Sri Penneswarar
/ Pennai Nayanar / Penneswaraswamy
Consort :
Sri Vedanayaki ( Thiru Kamakottamudaiyar )
Some of the Salient features of this temple are…
The temple faces east with an entrance 7-tier Rajagopuram on the south
side. The details of the Hero stones installed in front of the temple will be
written separately. Nagars are under banyan trees. The entrance arch is also on the
south side. Sri Sankatahara Ganapathy (facing the south entrance) and Rishabam are in Artha mandapam. In
Koshtam Vinayagar,
Dakshinamurthy, Vishnu, Brahma and Durgai.
In praharam Nalvar
with Sekkizhar, Saptamatrikas, Seetha Rama & Lakshmana with hanuman,
Vinayagar, Arputha Linga, Ananda Linga, Mangala Langs, Iswarya Linga, Poorna
Linga, Sri Valli Devasena Arumugar (In standing posture), Bhairavar (Naga
Bhairava – without Dog), Rishabam, balipeedam, Chandikeswarar and Kulothunga Chozha-III.
ARCHITECTURE:
The temple consists of sanctum sanctorum, antarala, artha mandapam and mukha mandapam. The sanctum sanctorum is on a simple pada bandha adhistanam with jagathi and three patta kumuda. A 3 tier Vimana is over the sanctum. The
Ardha mandapam and mukha mandapam pillars are of cylindrical
(vrutha) type. The Prakara sannadhis are on a raised platform.
HISTORY & INSCRIPTION:
There are about 40 inscriptions recorded in 1973 and
published by the Tamil Nadu State Department of Archaeology. The Kulothunga
Period 1188 CE inscription is the earliest. Hence it may be assumed that the
temple might have been constructed during his period. The inscriptions belong to Chozhas,
Kulothunga Chozha-III (1188 CE, 1206 CE) and Rajaraja-III (1233 CE), Hoysalas
Veera Ramanathan (1295 CE), Someswaran and Viswanathan (1208 CE), Nulamba King
Madurantaka Nulamban (1344 CE) and Vijayanagaras Virupaksha Raya (1476 CE),
Veerakampa Wodeyar and Pukkurayar (1410 CE) and an 18th-century inscription also available.
The inscriptions
mainly speak about donations of Gold, lands (Kandaka – a measure), cows, Articles
like Lamps (with weight like 800 palam), reservoir (Eri), etc, towards
burning of perpetual lamps, regular poojas and Naivedyam offered to Lord
Shiva. The Chozha King Rajaraja-III’s queen and Vanakovaraiyan’s daughter
Koothadum Thevar Nachiyar directly donated 10 Cows & a Rishaba towards the burning of the perpetual lamp to this temple and this inscription ends with a Chozhas Tiger Symbol. Villages like Paroor, Kooththandankuttai,
Kandaka Kazhani, Paiyur, etc, are mentioned in the inscriptions.
One of the
inscriptions mentions about renouncing of doing pooja for 6 days to Seemakeswara Battan by
Vidukathan. A 13th-century inscription mentions that a “Cheraman
Perumal Madam”, indicates that a Thevara School may be functioning and land belonging to
Nagakandakanputhur was donated to this madam.
A 13th
Century Hoysala King Vira Ramanathan’s Period inscription is considered an important
one, since, if any person doing Soru
venduthal (the meaning of the word சோறு வேண்டுதல் is considered as seeking a cooked food/begging is treated as crime), or obstruction to the gifts/ donations in
Penneswaramadam or in the Villages gifted to Sri Pennai Nayanar will be
beheaded or slicing his head on his own (Navakandam) and the severe punishment will be
given to the officer and the Accountant.
Kulothunga Chozha-III
(1208 CE), inscription mentions that Chandeswarar was installed along with a
donation of land by Jayangondan Mallan on behalf of his son Erandai. A 14th-century inscription is in
the form of a Venba song which resembles Sri Adi Chandeswarar himself speaking about the celebration function of the 6th
day of the Chithirai festival by a devotee
of Kathari Village.
An 18th-century inscription mentions that the mandapa ceiling was paved by a Vellappa
Nadan Mecheri Kandan Kanda Chetty. A Vijayanagara period 13th
Century inscription mentions places like Thamal Village near
Kanchipuram, Kanchipuram, Sathurangapattinam, Kovalam, Thanda malai,
Aanaikundhi, etc which are far away from Penneswaramadam.
LEGENDS:
It was told that
after constructing this temple the Thenpennai River changed its course and an
island was formed. The Bhairavar is with
Snakes instead of Dog. Hence this temple is famous for Naga Dosha Nivarthi
sthalam. Also, Ashtami Theipirai poojas are conducted to this Bhairavar. Sun
Light will fall on moolavar on Masi Maha Nakshatra day.
THE
TEMPLE TIMINGS
The temple will be
kept open between 07.00 hrs to 12.00 hrs and 17.00 hrs to 20.30 Hrs.
HOW
TO REACH:
The Penneswaramadam
is about 5 km from Kaveripattinam, 28 km from Krishnagiri, and 290 km from Chennai.
Autos and private buses
are available from Kaveripattinam.
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE: CLICK HERE
Its blessing from siva to read this🙏
ReplyDeleteThanks Sir
DeleteHoly sir phone number please
ReplyDeleteYou can send a message in the e-mail with phone number, I will contact you Sir,
DeleteSir phone number please
ReplyDeleteSir phone number for temple
ReplyDeleteSorry, I do not have the phone number Sir..
DeleteT. Ragavachari 9841140126
ReplyDeleteஇவர் யார் சார்.. தெளிவாக கூறினால் நன்றாக இருக்கும்..
Delete