02, September 2013During my temple visits I used to upset over the vegetation growth in side the temple premises and on the gopurams / vimanams. Lord Shiva has given me an opportunity last week on 01-09-2013 to remove the vegetation grown on the moolavar vimanam of Palur Shiva Temple. I joined with “Thirukkoil Uzhavarapani Mandram “ ( திருகோயில் உழவாரப்பணி மன்றம் - வேளச்சேரி , சென்னை -600042 ), under the head of thiru Adalarasan. The mandram used to do this thirupani on 1st Sunday of every month. This month’s Uzhvarappani was at Palur Shiva temple, which is on Chengalpattu to Kanchipuram Train and bus route. The Thirupani was a complete painting. The morning breakfast and lunch was organized through donors. About 500 Shiva devotees participated from various places. There are many regular participants also. With the Iraivan’s blessing I was lucky enough to join in September month’s thirupani.
It was 08.00 when I reached to the temple and preparation of breakfast was in progress. Few devotees arrived on Saturday itself. The rest of the devotees arrived one by one. It was interesting to see that small children also participated in the thirupani. The temple is big one and very old. The moolavar vimanam up to nandhi level was made of stone and the top with sudhai. I and two devotees selected in cleaning of moolavar vimanam. First we have removed the vegetation growth and then we cleaned the pigeons shit to enable for painting. When the sun raised it was very hot and by noon we have completed the cleaning of moolavar vimanam. I wonder how the vegetation grow in between the stone joints. It gets the fertilizer from the pigeon’s shit and water from rain. Okay, what will happen during summer and non rainy season. But it is a nature’s wonder vegetation survives with out water for a long period, may be at-least 6 months, from where it gets water ( Iraivan also feeds them too)?.
I was very tired due to sun heat and we worked till 12.00 hours. In the evening I was given the task of distributing the notice for the next month’s Uzhvarapani at Villampakkam next to Palur and painting of dwarabalakars. In the evening we had the delight of hearing the IOC sivanadiyar’s Thirukkayilaya music. It was an wonderful sight to see two girls playing the drums. The same music troop will also play in the next Uzhvarapani also. Anybody who reads this post can join in next Uzhavara thirupani on 06-09-2013. I had taken many photographs from morning to evening and up loaded in this post.
ARULMIGU SRI BRAMARAMBIGAI, VANDARKUZHALI MANGAI UDANURAI SRI PATHANGEESAR TEMPLE, PALUR, NEAR CHENGALPATTU.
Iraivan : Sri Pathangeesar
Iraivi : Sri Bramarambigai, Sri Vandaarkuhzali Mangai
Some of the important details of this temple are…….
- This is one of the very old Pallavar, Chozha and Kadavar period shiva temple on the north side of River Paalar. Palur was once called as "Thirupathangadu". There are many tamil inscriptions found around the moolavar karuvarai and front artha mandapam walls.
- Suryan ( sun ) worshiped Lord Shiva of this temple to get cleansed from the graha thosam as per the advice of Lord Vishnu. ( few names of Suryan are Pathangan, Parithi, Baskaran, Aathithan ). Since on the name of Suryan is Pathangan, Iraivan is called as Pathangesar and the place was called as Thirupathangadu.
- The temple is facing east. When we enter in to the temple arch, there is a vast open space on both sides. Nandhi and Palipeedam are in front of a small 2nd level Rajagopuram. There is no Dwajasthambam.
- Sri vinayagar, Ambal, Kalabairavar, Navagrahas, Suryan , Vinayagar, Sandikeswarar sannadhis are in the outer prakaram. Since Suryan worshiped Lord Shiva there was no Navagraha sannadhi during old period and the present Navagraha sannadhi was built during recent years.
- In koshtam Sri Vinayagar, Dhakshinamoorthy, Lingothbavar, Brahma and Vishnu Durgai.
- When we enter through east side mandapam we have to enter through south side entrance to the moolavar artha mandapam.
- In the inner prakaram sannadhi for Sri Murugan with valli and deivanai, Naalvar. The murugan has six faces sitting on his vahanam peacock with Ohm arch behind. All this are chiseled from a single sand stone . Murugan sannadhi is on the left side facing North ( A rare position). Latter addition of walls, his vahanam and palipeedam are forced to ouy to the outer prakaram. The additional wall constructed also obstructs the direct Circumference path to moolavar karuvarai.
- We found that in the naalvar, Sundarar moortham is not matching the regular moortham available in many temples. ( Headgear – greedam - is missing. ). Gurukkal told us the naalvar previously out side and brought during recent years, which are very old.
- There is no regular Dwarabalakars and the recent period sudhai dwarabakars in standing posture.
- Moolavar looks cute with nagabrana alangaram.
- Amman Sri Vandar Khuzhali is in a separate temple facing east in standing posture. Her vahanam simmam is in front. Amman with four hands. Rudhrakshamalai, Kamandalam in the upper hands and abaya and vara hastham in the lower hands.
- Theertha well is dry now and was not utilized for long period.
- It was very sad to hear that the temple has many lands and are swallowed by the rogues who are not inclined to offer any thing to this temple.
HOW TO REACH :
- PALUR is on the Chengalpattu to Kanchipuram bus ( Get down at Railway station stop ) and train route. The Beach to Thirumalpur passes through Palur and the ticket is Rs 15.00 from beach. And Rs 5 from Chengalpattu both fares are in train.
- Lot of buses both private and Govt buses available from Chengalpattu to Kanchipuram, Arakonam.
- Gurukkal Sri P S Ekambaram, Sannadhi street, Palur can be reached through his land line 044 27437011.
THE FOLLOWING PHOTOGRAPHS ARE TAKEN BEFORE UZHAVARAPANI
Front entrance arch
Palipeedam, nandhi mandapam with 2nd level Rajagopuram
a beautifully chiseled Nandhi under the simha muga pillar mandapam
Moolavar vimanam - see the vegetation growth - The vimanam was built with stone up to nandhi then with sudhai.
View of the temple complex
Entrance to the main shrine - through the front mandapam
THE FOLLOWING PHOTOGRAPHS ARE TAKEN DURING UZHAVARAPANI
Suryan & Ganapathy sannadhi and 2nd level rajagopuram painting in progress
Painting of compound wall Vinayagar sannadhi
Nandhi mandapam cleaning is in progress
2nd level rajagopuram
2nd level Rajagopuram
THE FOLLOWING PHOTOGRAPHS ARE TAKEN AFTER UZHVARAPANI.
Palipeedam with simha vahana mandapam of Ambal sannadhi
Moolavar vimanam view from west side
Ambal temple vimanam
View of moolavar vimanam from south side
Back side of rajagopuram
Nandhi mandapam with simha face pillars
Shiva painting in the Ambal temple mandapam wall - drawn by the real artist.
SIVA - SIVA Written on the compound walls by the real artist
MOORTHANGAL IN KOSHTAM & NAALVAR
Vishnu Durgai - see the frills of the sari
Naalvar - நால்வர்
As per Gurukkal this is the moortham of Sundarar installed in the old period. Originally Naalvar was in the outer prakaram and latter brought inside- During this period the moortham might have changed. Please see that the head gear is missing to Sundarar - Greedam (கிரீடம்)
An abandoned relief of a warrior in the ground on southeast corner of the temple outside compound wall – This is a Nadukal who ends his life by cutting his head through his own sword. The practice is called Navakandam
These Tamil inscriptions belongs to Pallava, Chozha and kaadavar period and some of them has the details of land donated to this temple
IOC SIVANADIYAR's THIRUKKAYILAYA VATHYAM - MUSIC
See the two girls are playing the drums on the right side
--- OM SIVAYA NAMA---