22nd March, 2016.
Last Sunday ie 20th March 2016, had been to Puzhal Thirumoolanathar darshan. One of my friend whose residence is very near to the temple wants to come my home along with his brother on Sunday afternoon in a hot summer heat ( I do not wants them to travel a long distance especially on Sunday after noon ). Since I visited this Puzhal Sri Thirumoolanathar temple about 10 years before, thought of visiting once again and pay a visit to his house. To know more details about the temple, searched in the web site and I could not get any details, except real estates.
From Velachery chosen the outer ring road ( Chennai by pass road) which ends at Puzhal, to avoid traffic of Ashoknagar- VadaPalani- Koyambedu – Annanagar – Rettai Yeri route. The traffic was also less on Sunday. The route is okay to ride on my scooter except on some places.
To my surprise there were lot of changes in and around the temple. Outer prakaram was paved with tiles after raising the floor level of 2 feet, sannadhis are also constructed for Anjaneyar, Mahaprirthyangara Devi, Sarabeswarar. And inside tiles also paved on the floors and walls are also fixed with tiles. 63var was also installed in L shape. The inscriptions are damaged and some of the stones with inscriptions were used for steps during renovation.
Iraivan : Sri Thirumoolanathar
Iraivi : Sri Sornambigai.
Some of the important details of this temple are...
- The temple is facing east with Dwajasthambam, Palipedam and nandhi.
- Sannadhi for Sri Maha Ganapathy, Sri Anjaneyar, Maha Prithiyangara devai, Sarabeswarar, Sri Kasi Viswanathar & Visalakshi, Nagar, Navagrahas, Bairavar, Sandikeswarar.
- In the inner prakaram sannadhi for Sakthi Ganapathy, Shiva Lingam, Gajalakshmi, Veerabathirar, Valli Devasena Subramaniyar, Astothara Lingam, Maha sarasvathy, 63var, Swarna akarshna Bairavar, Chandran, Suryan and a mandapam.
- In koshtam Niruthiya Lingam, Dhakshinamurthy, Maha Vishnu ( in place of Lingothbavar), Brahma and Durgai. Moolavar looks beautiful in Nagaabarana kavas am.
- Ambal is in a separate temple like sannadhi with koshtam. In koshtam Maashentri Vaaraki, Brahmani, Maheswari & Narayani.
- There is a under ground passage and it is believed that it goes to Thirumullaivayila dn Thiruvotriyur.
- I was believed that Sundarar, Thirumoolar worshiped Lord Shiva of this temple ( Hence called as Thirumoolanathar ). Agasthiyar had seen Lord Shiva’s kalyana kolam in the Shiva Lingam.
- It was believed that the temple is 1300 years old and constructed during 14th Century Pallava period.
- The temple is kept open between 06.30 hrs to 11.00 hrs and 17.00 hrs to 20.00 hrs
CONTACT DETAILS :
- Gurukal Natarajam may be contacted over his mobile 9566258425. For further details.
HOW TO REACH :
- Puzhal is on the way to Red hills on the Nellore route and lot of town buses are available from Koyambedu.
- Get down at overhead tank bus stop (opposite to Puzhal new prison ) and the temple is about 1 KM off main road.
Anjaneyar Sannadhi & Sri Pritiyangara devi Sannadhi
Back side of Moolavar Vimanam
Back side of Ambal sannadhi
Sri Sarabeswarar sannadhi
Mandapam with Boothapothikai ( present office room
Pallava Period pillar relief
Bottom grill is the under ground passage believed to passage for Thirumullaivayil and Thiruvotriyur
The painting near Ambal Sannadhi ceiling- can any one tell me what is this?
inscription stone is used as a step
inscription back side of Ambal sannadhi
---OM SHIVAYA NAMAHA:---
.... to be continued for Madras war cemetery.