செல்வ விநாயகர் துதி மணிகொண்ட கிம்புரிக்கோட்டு ஐங்கரம் நால் வாய்மும்மை மதம் வாய்ந்தோங்கும் கணிகொண்ட கூவிளமும் நறை இதழிப் பூந்தொடையும் கலந்து சூடிப் பணிகொண்டவ் வுயிர்களையும் இகபரம் வீடு இவையுதவிப் பாரின் மீதே அணிகொண்ட வாமன்வூர்ச் செல்வ விநா யகன் திருத்தாள் அகத்துள்வைப்பாம்
This is the 49th Thevaram Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam and the 17th sthalam
on the banks of the river Kedilam at
Thirumanikuzhi near Cuddalore. (Under Nadu Naadu Temples). This place is
mentioned as “Uthavi Manikuzhi” in Thevara hymns. This temple is on a very
small kundru / small hill called Jyothi giri or Rathna giri. In the Purana, this
place was called Vamanapuri, Indralokam, Bheemasankara Kshetram, etc.
Even though Sekkizhar mentions that
Sundarar took a bath in Kedilam and worshiped Lord Shiva. The pathigam was not
traceable. Thirugnanasambandar, after worshiping Natarajar of Thillai /
Chidambaram on the way to Thirupathiripuliyur, worshiped Lord Shiva of Thiruthinai Nagar and Thirumanikuzhi.
செல்வம் மல்கிய தில்லைமூ தூரினில் திருநடம் பணிந்து ஏத்திப் பல்தொண்டர் எதிர்கொளப் பரமர்தம் திருத்தினை நகர்பாடி அல்கு தொண்டர்கள் தம்முடன் திருமாணி குழியினை அணைந்து ஏத்தி மல்குவார் சடையார் திருப் பாதிரிப் புலியூரை வந்துற்றார்
Thirugnanasambandar has sung hymns
in praise of Lord Shiva of this temple. Since Lord Shiva was referred to as
Uthavimanikuzhi. Lord Shiva is also called Uthavinayagar.
பொன்னியல் பொருப்பரையன் மங்கையொரு பங்கர்புனல் தங்கு சடைமேல் வன்னியொடு மத்தமலை வைத்தவிறல் வித்தகர் மகிழ்ந்துறைஇடம் கன்னியிள் வாளைகுதி கொள்ள இள வள்ளைபடர் அள்ளல் வயல்வாய் மன்னியிள மேதிகள் படிந்துமனை சேர்உதவி மாணி குழியே...... திருஞானசம்பந்தர் -" ஆற்றமயல் காணிக்குழிவீழ் கடையர்க்குக் காண்பரிய மாணிக்குழிவாழ் மகத்துவமே".........திரு அருட்பாMoolavar :Sri Vamanapureeswarar, Sri Uthavinayagar, Sri
ManikkavaratharConsort :Sri Ambujakshi, Sri Uthavinayagi, Sri Manickavalli.
Some of the important features of
this temple are...The temple faces east with a 5-tier Rajagopuram. Balipedam, Dwajasthambam, and Rishabam are after the
Rajagopuram. Rishabam is looking straight at the moolavar. The entrance to the
sanctum sanctorum is through the south side opening in the mukha mandapam. A Jala is
provided on the east side wall of the mukha mandapa. Bala Ganapathy and Bala
Murugan are on both sides of the Jala. Moolavar is a short Swayambu Linga on a
short Avudayar. In koshtam, Vinayagar (A Bhoota gana is on the left),
Dakshinamurthy, Lingothbavar (Brahma and Maha Vishnu are on both sides),
Brahma, and Durgai.
On the left side of the sanctum
sanctorum wall are the bas-reliefs of Vamana Avathara Sthala Purana. In the inner praharam, Vinayagar,
63var, Saptamatrikas, Yuga Lingas, Gajalakshmi, Natarajar Sabha, Pancha Murtis,
Theraya Maharishi, Markandeyar, Thirunavukkarasar, Moovar, Sattanathar, Navagrahas,
Bhairavar, Suryan, Chandran, and Chandikeswarar.
Vinayagar and Valli Devasena Subramaniyar are in the outer prakaram.
Ambal is in a separate temple with
vimana and koshta murtis like Ichcha Sakthi and Gnana Sakthi. Ambal is in a standing
posture facing east. Dwarapalakis are Jaya and Vijaya. On both sides, Vinayagar
and Dandapani. Balipedam, Dwajasthambam, and Vahana Simha are in front of the
temple.
The 15th-century Saint
Arunagirinathar worshiped Lord Muruga of this temple and sang hymns.
குதித்து வானர மேலேறு தாறுகள் குலைத்து நீள்கமு கூடாடி வாழைகொள் குலைக்கு மேல்விழ வேரேறு போகமும் வஞ்சிதோயுங் குளத்தி லூறிய தேனூறல் மாதுகள் குடித்து லாவியெ சேலோடு மாணிகொள் குழிக்குள் மேவிய வானோர்க ளேதொழ தம்பிரானே
HISTORY AND INSCRIPTIONSThe original temple existed before the 7th century, may have been built by the Pallavas, and was reconstructed and extended during the Chozhas and Vijayanagaras. As per the inscriptions, this place was called “Uthavi,” and Lord Shiva is called “Uthavi Nayagar”, “Uthavimanikuzhi
Mahadevar”, Thirumanikuzhi Mahadevar, Uthavithirumanikuzhi Udaya Nayanar, Ooseri Uthavi Nayagar (Vijayanagara
Period). The recorded inscriptions belong to Chozha Kulothunga Chozha-I, II
& III, Rajarajan-III, Vikrama Chozha, Pandya King Vikrama Pandyan,
Vijayanagara King Pratabadeva Maharayar. This place was under Viruthabayanga Valanattu Merkaa Nadu Uthavi Thirumanikuzhi, Rajaravalanattu Merkanattu Uthavi
Thirumanikuzhi, Jayankonda Chozha Mandalathu Chozhavala Nadu.
Vikrama Chozha’s 15th-year reign inscription (AR 148 of 1902 SII Volume VII- 772) records the gift of the Land of 6 ma to Aadichandeswara Nayanar’s worship, for which a supply of 200 Kalam
paddy was provided by Vanavan Mahadevipura Nagaratha Velan, Mudikonda Chozha Mooventha Velan, and Thillainayaga Moovenda Vellalan.
Vikrama Chozha’s 10th-year reign inscription starts
with his meikeerthi (AR149 of 1902 SII Volume VII- 773) records the covering of a gold
plate for the Natarajar sannadhi. 3rd-year reign inscription (AR
150 of 1902 SII Volume VII- 774) records the gift of lands and gold, also mentioned. 4th-year reign inscription (AR 151 of 1902 SII Volume VII- 775) records the endowment of burning
2 perpetual lamps for which 5 kasu was gifted.
Rajadhi Rajan period inscription (AR
153A of 1902 SII Volume VII- 778) records the endowment of naivedyam for which land was
donated to this temple.
Kulothunga Chozha-II’s 8th-year reign inscription (155 of 1902 SII Volume VII- 780) records his son Rajarajan-II’s
coronation at Natarajar Temple of Thillai / Chidambaram. It also registers the
birth Nakshathra as Uththaradathi, special poojas on his birthday, naivedyam
for Vikrama Chozha’s sandhi, and worship for which the land of 62 ma was donated to this temple after
purchase. The land was donated after erecting the Soolakkal on the 4 periphery
limits.
Vikrama Chozha’s 6th-year reign inscription (AR 158 of 1902 SII Volume VII- 783) records the endowment of burning a
perpetual lamp for which 12 goats/sheep were donated, and the same was converted as Sava Moova Peradu. It was received by Sathan Arangan. One nazhi ghee for one goat,
totaling 12 nazhi ghee to be supplied to the temple.
Kulothunga Chozha’s 49th-year reign Inscriptions (AR 160 of 1902 SII Volume VII-785) record the existence of Sri
Kazhi Nadudayan Thirumadam. For which an amount of 40 kasu was loaned, and the
interest to be paid to this mutt.
This inscription (No.
165 of 1902) is engraved on the right of the entrance into the east wall of the
prahara of the Vâmanapuriśvara temple at Tirumânikuli in the Cuddalore taluka¹
of the South Arcot district. This village is called Udavi-Manikuli by
Tiruñanasambandar, and Udavi-Tirumânikuli in some of its inscriptions.
According to the subjoined record (1. 31.), it belonged to the district of
Rajaraja-valanadu, and according to other inscriptions to Mélkkâl-nâdu, Môrkanādu
or Mērka-uâdu, a subdivision of Vadakarai-Rajendra-Chôla-vaļunâdu,
Virudarajabhayamkara-valanâdu, or Rajaraja-valanādu.
The inscription is dated in the 3rd year of
Kulôttunga-Chôla III. on a day which corresponds to the 12th August C.E. 1180.
It records the gift of 32 cows for a lamp. The donor was a native of Kûdal,
which was situated in the same district as Tirumāņikuļi and seems to be
identical with the modern Küdalûr (Cuddalore).
Veera Rajendran’s 7th-year reign inscription (AR 164 of 1902 SII Volume VII- 791) records the endowment of one
sandhi lamp for which 4 cows are donated by Thirunattaperumal.
Pandya King Konerimai Kondan’s (Vikrama
Pandyan) period inscription (AR 168 of 1902 SII Volume VII- 795) records the endowment
of naivedyam for the Rasakkanayan sandhi
and birthday, which was established in the King’s name.
Ref:1. Annual Report on South Indian Inscriptions and2. South Indian Inscriptions Volume VII and III
The Moolavar & Ambal Vimana and
Rajagopuram were repaired under Kanchi Mutt Jeyendra Saraswati Swamikal’s Golden Jubilee, and Kumbhabhishekam was conducted on 14th September 1989. The
re-wiring of the lighting system was done in 2011 by the employees of SPIC - PHARMA,
Cuddalore.
LEGENDSThis is the only Shiva Sthalam where a screen with a print of Bheema Rudra, one of the Ekadhasa Rudras, is
hung in front of the sanctum sanctorum. It was said that this Bheema Rudra guards the worship of Maha Vishnu
without disturbance as a “Mani – Brahmachari- Bachelor”. It is believed that
Lord Shiva is always with Parvati. Since Sanctum Sanctorum is considered a
Palliyari, there is no separate Palliyarai. Also, there is no Arthajama Palliyarai
pooja conducted. The Gurukkal will show Arathi first to the screen and then to the moolavar. Hence, Moolavar darshan can be done only with the help of Gurukkal.
Vinayagar, Lord Shiva, and Ambal are
called with a prefix ‘Uthavi- உதவி '. The same is mentioned in Thevara Hymns as Uthavimanikuzhi.
It may be presumed that this place was once called Uthavi; the temple’s name
“Manikuzhi” might have been added – Uthavimanikuzhi, and the place also has the temple’s name. To prove this, the Sthala Purana says that a North Indian
merchant called Aththiri, on his way
through this place, thieves tried to rob his money and materials, but Lord Shiva
helped the merchant from the thieves. Hence, this Place was called Uthavi and
Lord Shiva as Uthavi Nayagar and Ambal as Uthavi Nayagi. It was said that
Urchavar is also inscribed as “Uthavi”
உத விநாயகர் துதி சீர்பூத்த நீலகிரி திருமாணிக்குழிவளரும் தெய்வக்கோயில் வார்பூத்த களபமுலை மோகினிமா தினைத்தடந்தோள் மகிழப் புல்லும் கார்பூத்த சுந்தரமுக் கண்ணான் காந்திங்கட் கங்கைவேணி ஏர்பூத்த வாமனே சுரனுதவி நாயகனை ஏத்தி வாழ்வாம்
அம்புஜாட்சி ( உதவி நாயகி ) துதி தருண நறை மலர்க்கோயில் பூமகளும் நாமகளும் சார்ந்து போற்றக் கருணைபுரி வாமனே சுரனுதவி நாயகனைக் கலந்து வாழும் பொருள் நிறைந்து வளந்தரும் பூஞ்சோலை வாமன புரத்துப் புளகக் கங்கை அருணமலர் வதனஉமை அம்புயாட்சியின் மலர்த்தாள் அகத்துள் வைப்பாம்
Also, in another legend, Mahavishnu
in Vamana avatar came as an unmarried Brahmachari (Bachelor), took Thiruvikrama
avatar, measured the two feet, and kept the third foot on Mabali’s head and
killed him. To get rid of the brahmahathi dosha, Maha Vishnu came to this temple and
worshiped. Lord Shiva took the short form for Vamana in the pit (Kuzhi) (Mani kuzhi – Mani- Brahmachari, bachelor, and Kuzhi – pit). It is believed that in Vamana’s continuous worship without disturbance, Lord Shiva asked Bheema Rudra
to guard the sanctum.
Also, it is believed that worshiping Lord Shiva of this temple for 2 minutes in this temple will be equal
to worshiping for 12 days, 16 times at Kasi,
3 times at Thiruvannamalai, and 3 times at Chidambaram.
It is believed that the 4 pillars in
the artha mandapa represent 4 Vedas, 6 pillars in the maha mandapa represent 6
sashtras, and 28 pillars in the mukha mandapa represent 28 agamas.
POOJAS AND CELEBRATIONSApart from regular poojas, special
poojas are conducted on Pradosham, Maha Shivaratri, Thirukarthikai on Rohini
Nakshatra (the Deepam will be lit on the Jyothi giri hill near the temple), Big function in Karthikai,
Adipooram, Navaratri, Sashti, Natarajar Abhishekam,
TEMPLE TIMINGSThe temple will be kept open
from 07.00 hrs to 11.00 hrs, and from 16.30 hrs to 20.30 hrs.
CONTACT DETAILS: Archakar can be contacted for
darshan by Gurukal Natarajan at +919486387154.
Alternatively, this landline may also be
contacted at +91 4142 224 328.
HOW TO REACH :Cuddalore to Panruti bus No. 16 goes through Thirumanikuzhi bus stop
on the main road, and the temple is 1.5 km (walk and cross the river
bridge). City bus from Cuddalore to Kumanangulam passes through this place. The temple is 14 km from Cuddalore,
17 km from Panruti, 45 km from Chidambaram, 45 km from Villupuram, and 196 km from Chennai.The nearest Railway Station is Panruti.
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE: CLICK HERE
The inscription is dated in the 3rd year of Kulôttunga-Chôla III. on a day which corresponds to the 12th August C.E. 1180. It records the gift of 32 cows for a lamp. The donor was a native of Kûdal, which was situated in the same district as Tirumāņikuļi and seems to be identical with the modern Küdalûr (Cuddalore).
சீர்பூத்த நீலகிரி திருமாணிக்குழிவளரும் தெய்வக்கோயில்















No comments:
Post a Comment