16th March, 2016.
After out visit to Sri Samayaeswarar we had been to the Dutch Cemetery. The Cemetery is under the control of ASI ( Archeological Survey of India ). A person in the tea stall with the key opened the gate and showed us the graves and told some details also. The skull at the top of the arch and skeletons on both side of the entrance welcomed us to visit the Cemetery.
THE DUTCH CEMETRY.
The Portuguese established a factory for trading port at Pulicat with the permission of Vijayanagara king during 1502. They built a port and controlled till 1609. They were defeated by Dutch and Pulicat port came under their control. The Pulicat was become the capital for Dutch Coromandal.
The Cemetery has 77 graves of which 62 are identified and all of them are covered with single stone slabs intrinsically carved flowers, birds human faces, borders, etc. The names and descriptions are inscribed in Dutch language ( Hope it might have been brought from Dutch with engravings ). 5 greaves were built with domes/ structures. There are three oblique, in one Pulicat was mentioned as Palliacatta. ( Initially the name was Pazhakatta and during British period the name has become Pulicat. ). The graves are between 1646 to 1777.
For the details of the graves please click the link :
Dutch Cemetery II at Pulicat : http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GSvcid=81878&CRid=2298278&pt=Dutch%20Cemetery%20II&
Dutch port, Fort, Houses and sea carved one of the grave slab
Pazhaverkadu ( Pulicat was called as Palliacatta during 18th century
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMAHA:---
……. To be continued with the Shiva temple at Thirupalaivanam.