Thursday, 20 April 2017

SRI AMANEESHWARAR TEMPLE, DEVANAAMPALAYAM, NEAR COIMBATORE & POLLACHI – A HERITAGE VISIT.

 A continuation post to Sri Theniswarar Temple at Vellalore….
14th April 2017
ஸ்ரீ தேனீஸ்வரர் தரிசனத்திற்குப் பிறகு எங்களுடைய அடுத்த இலக்கு தேவனம்பாளையம் ஸ்ரீ அம்மணீஸ்வரர் கோவில். இக்கோவில் கற்பகாநதியின் மத்தியில் மேற்கு நோக்கி கட்டப்பட்டது. இக்கோவில் ஒருகாலத்தில் சிவன் கோவிலாகவும் பின்பு அது சமணர்கள் காலத்தில் அது சமணர் கோவிலாகவும், பின்பு அவர்களுடைய வீழ்ச்சிக்குப்பிறகு மீண்டும் சிவன் கோவிலாகவும் மாற்றப்பட்டதாக குருக்கள் கூறினார். சமணர்கள் காலத்திய அம்மணீஸ்வரர் என்ற பெயரே நிலைத்துவிட்டதாகவும் கூறினார். அதற்கான ஆதாரமாக தூண்களில் காணப்பட்ட சிற்பஙகளைச் சுட்டிக்காட்டினார்.  எங்களுடைய ஊகமும் அதுவாகத்தான் இருந்தது. அதற்கு வலு சேர்ப்பது போல இருந்தது அவருடைய கூற்று. மேலும் ஆற்றின் நடுவே உள்ள பாறைகளில் இரண்டு இடங்களில் மருந்து அரைப்பதற்காக ஏற்ப்படுத்தப்பட்ட குழிகள் அதை மேலும் உறுதி செய்தது.

இக்கோவில் விக்கரம சோழன் ஆட்சிக்கு முன்பே கட்டப்பட்டது. அவருடைய ஆட்சி ஆண்டைச் சேர்ந்த பதினான்காம் நூற்றாண்டு ( 1302 & 1303 பொயு) கல்வெட்டுக்கள் கருவறையின் அதிட்டானத்தில் இருக்கின்றது. இக்கல்வெட்டுக்கள் 19 மற்றும் 20வது நூற்றாண்டுகளில் புதுப்பிக்கப்பட்டபோது கற்கள் மாற்றி கட்டப்பட்டுவிட்டது. ஆதனால் முழுவதும் தொடர்ச்சியாக படிக்க முடியவில்லை. இக்கல்வெட்டுக்கள் கோவிலுக்கு வழங்கிய கொடைகளைப் பற்றி கூறுகின்றது.

அர்த்த மண்டபத்தின் தூண்களில் சிவனின் ஊர்த்துவ தாண்டவமும், எதிர் தூணில் காளியின் உருவ சிலைகளும் எட்டு கரங்களுடன் மிக நேர்த்தியாக வடிவமைக்கப்பட்டு இருக்கின்றது. அதை அருகே சென்று காணவும் எங்களுக்கு அனுமதி கிடைத்தது. நாங்கள் ஆசீர்வதிக்கப்பட்டவர்கள்…

இக்கோவிலுக்கு வருவதற்க்கு முன்பு வழியில் குத்துக்கற்கள் ( மென்கிர் ), சதிகற்களைக் காண்டோம். இக்கோவிலிலும் சதிகற்கள் இருந்தது. அவைகளைப்   பற்றி பின்பு கான்போம்…

After dharshan of Sri Theneesawarar at Vellalore, our next destination was to Sri Amaneeshwarar temple at Devanampalayam. On the way we had seen Menhirs at Mayiladumparai two sati kal at Vadasithur & Kappalaankarai which will be written separately.

Iraivan : Sri Amaneehswarar
Iraivi    : Sri Akilandeswari

Some of the important features of this temple are…
The temple is facing west  in the middle of Karpaka river. The Garuda thoon is in front. The Sanctum sanctorum is with a Sanctum, Artha mandapam and mahamandapam. In addition to there is a open mandapam at front.

Lord Shiva is the kula theivam for Puluva Gounder kooda thalaiyan koodam, a sub section. It was told that Lord Shiva was worshiped by Athiri Maharishi and Anusuya Devi and they lived here. Pathanchali was born here. Ashtama siddhars worshiped Lord Shiva and their reliefs can be seen on the pillars.

As per Gurukkal there are 5 Shiva Lingas and three are in the sanctum and two are out side. The centre Shiva Linga is swayambu.

In the Artha mandapam pillars has the statues of Urthuva Thandavar ( as per Gurukkal Akora thandava murthy )  and Kali. Both has 8 hands facing each other. The other two pillars had the statues, probably the king of the persons who  re-constructed the temple.

Ambal is in the maha mandapam facing east. There are 4 Vinayagars, called sathuranga Vinayagars reliefs on the pedestal of Ambal and Athiri Maharashi is at the centre.

Important functions are Guru pooja for Athiri maharishi on Thursdays, Karthikai deepam, Pradhosham, Aruthra Dharishanam, Masi Shiva Rathiri, Chithirai Vishu and Monthly Shiva Rathiri. It was believed that Siddhars worships Lord Shiva on Shiva Rathri days.

The protection deity of this temple is Varaaki is facing west. On every Ashtami day “milakai” is being offered. 

Sannadhi for Sandikeswarar and Dhashinamurthy, built separately. There is no moortham in the koshtam. The temple was reconstructed and the stones are relocated many places. Due to this the inscriptions does not have the continuity.

On Tamil month Masi, before No moon day sun light ( Uthrayana ) used to falls on Lord Shiva.

As per Gurukkal, Originally the temple was constructed for Lord Shiva and latter converted as Jains temple. After the Jainism slowly loosed its power, the temple was again converted to Shiva temple and retains the Jainism name of  Sri Amaneeshwarar.  ( People used call Jain Gods as Amana Swamy, since they do not wear any dress ).
   
As per the inscriptions recorded, the temple exists before Vikrama Chozha period. The   14th century ( 1302 & 1303 AD ) inscription speaks about the  donations made to this temple. The 20th century ( 1904 AD ) inscription speaks about the reconstruction / jeerorthanam of the temple.  A 19th century inscription also there which mentions about the donations made to Devanampalayam Sri Mariamman temple

TEMPLE TIMINGS:
The temple will be kept open between 07.00 Hrs to 12.00 Hrs and 16.00 Hrs to 19.00 Hrs.

CONTACT DETAILS:
Mr Muthuraman Sivachariyar and his mobile number is 9655559023 and 9715127040 and the land line number is 04259 264747.

HOW TO REACH:
34 KM from Ukkadam bus stand
For Route map :CLICK HERE

LOCATION: CLICK HERE






 Kali statue on the Artha mandapam pillar

 Lord Shiva Urthuva Thandavar opposite to Kali 



 The person who constructed the mandapam?

  Mandapam pillars, Nandhi  – dilapidated 

 Mandapam pillars, Nandhi  – dilapidated 

The place to grind medicine by the Jain monks

 14th century Vikrama Chozha period inscription


20th Century inscription about re construction of the temple 


---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

No comments:

Post a Comment