11, February 2014.I was fortunate enough to have Lord Shiva’s dharshan during Masi ( A Tamil month ) thiruvizha / Bramotshavam at Maakaral, Thiruvothur and Vanparthan Panangattur ( Thiruppanangadu ) on 09-02-2014. It was a tough journey to all three places. Since the Sunday was a muhurtham ( Marriage ) day, crowd, crowd everywhere. All most throughout my journey, I had to travel by standing.
The Journey route was Guindy – Poonamallee – Kanchipuram – Maakaral – Kanchipuram – Cheyyar( Thiruvothur ) – Thiruppanangadu ( Via Vembakkam ) – Kanchipuram – Poonamallee - Guindy. From the Bus stand / Bus stop to Temple preferred to walk. Due to scorching sun found very difficult to walk, also did not took any food, since morning to evening. It aggravated further and I got completely exhausted.
Even-though I had been to these temples earlier twice, want to make it, again to take photographs and to get Lord Shiva’s blessings too. Before start of this travel I had collected details of these temples and Phone numbers. Since I was able confirm the temple will be kept open for Bramotshavam at Thirupanangadu, hence decided to keep it in the afternoon session. In all the three places I could not take the full view photograph of the Rajagopurams due to pandal ( Kottakai in Chettinadu ) erected for urchavam. The details of the temples are written below as per the order I visited.
7 – MAAKARAL.
This is the 7th Devaram Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam in Thondai Nadu. Thiruganasambadar has sung hymns in praise of Lord Shiva of this temple.
Iraivan : Iraivan is called by 12 names different names and they are Sri Adaikalam Thantha Nathar ( Parikara name), Sri Maham Vaazhvithavar, Sri Udumbeesar, Sri Paarathazhumbar, Sri Putridangondaar, Sri Nilaiyitta Nathar, Sri Mangalangathavar, Sri Parinthukathavar, Sri Agastheesar, Sri Abathsahayar, Sri Maakaraleeswarar, Sri Thaduthatkondavar.
Iraivi : Sri ThirupuvanaNayagi, Sri BhuvanaNayagi.
Some of the important features of this temple are….
- The temple is facing east with a 5 tier Rajagopuram. Sthala Viruksham is lemon tree and theertham is Agni Theertham.
- The temple is about 1500 years old and Iraivan gave dharshan to king Rajendra Chozhan in the form of golden Udumbu (உடும்பு = a Monitor Lizard ).
- The moolavar is like Udumbu tail. As per Gurukkal, Moolavar was made out of navapashanam and worshiped by Agasthiyar.
- The two asuraras called Maaharan and Maalayan worshiped Lord Shiva of this temple.
- The moolavar Vimanam is of gajabirushtam type and the sanctum sanctorum is in the form of agazhi.
- Urchava moorthams are kept in the artha mandapam.
- In koshtam Vinayagar, Dhakshinamoorthy, Brahma and Durgai.
- In the prakaram sannadhi for Aarumugaswamy ( sitting on peacock vahanam (Peacock’s face is on the right side, is an unusual one ), Adhikara Nandhi along with 63var, Valampuri Vinayagar, Mahavishnu, Valli Devasena samedha Subramaniyar, Ambal sannadhi, Arthanari Bairavar ( back side of Ambal sannadhi ), Murugan on white elephant ( story with picture is up loaded below ).
- After Murugan killed Surabadhman, he married Deivanai. On that occasion, Indran asked Murugan to sit on his white elephant Iravatham in presence of Thirumal. Also it is be noted that elephant was his vahanam before Peacock.
HOW TO REACH :
- Ilayanarvelur – Kanchipuram – Perungkattur bus passes through this place Maakaral.
- Buses from Kanchipuram to Uthiramerur via Orikkai passes through this place Maakaral
- Shaunmuga Sundara Gurukkal may be contacted through his mobile 9444810396 for poojas, Parikaram, etc., and his residence is nearby.
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE : CLICK HERE
Subramaniyar is sitting on peacock. Peacock's face is on the right side
Sri Murugaperuman is on the white elephant
Closer look of Sri Murugaperuman on white elephant
View of Front mandapam, Dwajasthambam, Nandhi mandapam
Front sudhai sirpam of mandapam
Nandhi mandapam ( facing moolavar )
Another view of the temple complex
The 5 tier Rajagopuram
Thiruvothur and Vanparthan Panangattur details are written in the next posts.
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA ---