24th to 26th January 2020.
The visit to this temple was a part of the Nanjil Nadu
Heritage Walk organized by Yaaooyaakay and Celebrate Kanchi in association with
Tamil Nadu Tourism and Development Department, Kanyakumari, scheduled on 24th
to 26th January 2020. During this Heritage walk we covered Hindu
Temples, Jain monuments, the oldest Christian Church, Old Forts, an overhead water
channel, and of course Natural Bonsai Garden too.
The first visit on 24th
January was to the Thanumalayan Temple at Suchindram. Thanumalayan may be split as Thanu+ Mal+Ayan, which signifies the Combination of Brahma, Vishnu, and
Shiva. It is believed that Lord Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma combined together in
this temple, to bless us.
Moolavar : Sri
Thanumalayan.
Consort :
Sri Aramvalartha Nayaki.
Some of the salient features of this temple are….
The temple faces east with a 7-tier Rajagopuram
and a Mandapam. Stucco images of Shiva & Parvati as Rishabaroodar, Vishnu
on Garuda, and Saraswati on Anna vahana
are on the top of the entrance mandapam. The Rajagopuram has stucco images
of Hindu Deities, both Shiva & Vishnu, Celestial Gods, Mythological story
images like Asuras and Devas Churning Milk ocean, etc,. Many deities like Lord
Shiva (for example Maha Sada Siva Murthy), Kali, and Subramaniyar have multiple
heads and hands. It is interesting to note that Kazhuvetra stucco images are
also in between Maha Sada Siva Murthy and Kali. The Rajagopuram was built with
stone up to the base and the superstructure was built with stucco. Some of the
important sculptures on the Rajagopuram base are Gangalar, Trivikrama, Uma
Maheswarar, Dakshinamurthy, Chandrasekar, Ashtadikpalakas, etc,. Natarajar is
in one of the niches of the Rajagopuram.
The temple complex consists of Shiva and
Vishnu Temples with Separate Dwajasthambams. A Stucco Rishabam, Dwajasthambam, and
balipeedam are in Front of Shiva’s Temple. Sannadhis for Dakshinamurthy,
Vinayagar, Vinayaki/Ganeshini, 18 feet Anjaneyar, Sri Konraiyadi
Sthanumalayan Adhi Moolavar, Neelakanda Vinayagar, Kailasanathar temple like
sannadhi (Built on boulders with Sanctum, and artha mandapam), Cheravathal
Sastha, Rama & Sita, Krishna, Jayantheeswara Mahadevan, Durgai Amman,
Rameswara Mahadevar, Subramanian sannadhi with beautiful Dwarapalakas, Kalabhairava, Vallabha Vinayagar,
Balasubramaniar sitting on Peacock vahana, Indra Vinayagar and Ambal
Aram Valartha Nayaki.
The mandapams, Oonjal mandapam, Shenbagaraman mandapam, Kulasekhara Mandapam, Vasantha
mandapam and Chitra mandapam are in the
temple complex. The Pillars of the mandapas have beautiful sculptures like Manmadhan, Rathi, warriors, Lord Shiva, Arjuna, Bhishma/Karna (somebody
says Karna), etc,. The famous musical
pillars are in the Kulasekhara mandapam.
HISTORY
AND INSCRIPTIONS
As per the inscriptions, this place was called “Thonnanagar Thiruchiveenthiram” and Lord Shiva was called Mahadevar. It is believed that the temple was built
before the 9th Century CE by the Ay Kings ( a small kingdom of present
Kerala – who ruled the Kanyakumari region). Totally 124 inscriptions are recorded
and the 9th century early Pandya King Maransadaiyavarman’s inscription
is the oldest one. This inscription records the gift of Brahmadeyam to the
Brahmins.
The 10th Century Parantaka-I (907 – 955
CE), period inscription speaks about a merchant of Kalakudi Nattu Karaventha Puram who gave a donation to this temple.
Rajaraja-I's (985 – 1014 CE) official
had donated Goats “Sava moova Peradus சாவா மூவா
பேராடுகள் (the quantity will not decrease or increase) –
Goats 50 nos towards burning a perpetual lamp.
Chozha Pandiya, Kulothunga-I period inscriptions record the gift to this
temple.
In 1410CE, Sri Udaya Marthanda Varma built the
Alangara mandapam with musical pillars.
The 19th-century inscription mentions that A
Devadasi played the musical pillars and staged dance and dramas.
The Veerapandian (946-966 CE ) who assumed the title as
“Chozhan thalaikonda“, donated Lamps, lands etc,. His Tamil inscription speaks
about A Brahmadeya land that was mortgaged and the same was informed to Nanjil Nattu
Brahamatheyathu Thiruchivintharaththu Mahasabha, by the Vanganur Devan. This was
enquired by the Mahasabha. Another Parakrama Pandyan celebrated the Parakrama
sandhi festival on his birth star
Mrigashirsha day.
The Thiruvithangur
King Kulasekara Perumal, 1730CE, excavated a well and a Temple tank.
In 1873 CE the temple was damaged due to heavy rain.
The same was rectified from 1881 to 1887 CE. This thirupani /renovation was
carried out by the Venattu King Ramavarman. Apart from Kings, individuals like Dobby
( Vannar), Merchants, and Devaradiyars also donated to this temple.
LEGENDS
The legend is associated with Indira. Athiri
Maharishi with his wife was staying in this forest. When the monsoon failed, Devas, Brahma, and Vishnu suspected Indira might have done it. Since
they do not know the reason they directed him to do a Yaga at Kailash leaving
his wife Anusuya in the Ashram. Since Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva did not want to
complete the Yaga, they sought the help
of Naradha to stop this. Naradha came along with Devas and asked them to get
what they wanted from Anusuya. Anusuya granted everything through her husband's patha
pooja water. So Naradha went to the
Consorts of Brahma, Vishnu, and Lord Shiva to fry the iron gram. When the three
couldn’t do it, Anusuya had done it. When
Narathar praised, Anusuya, the three Devis got jealous. They told this to Trimurti and they too want to test her.
They went in the form of aged persons and asked for food with the condition of
feeding them in her birth kola. With the help of her husband’s pada theertha, she converted them into Children and fed them. Anusuya took care of the
three for some time. When the Three Devis asked Naradha, the whereabouts of their
husbands were, he told them what happened. In the meantime, Narada went to Athiri Maharishi’s
Yaga place and told Anusuya had three children during his absence. Angered Athiri, stopped the Yaga in the
middle, came to the ashram, and realized everything. To his request and three Devi's
request, Anusuya converted back Tririmurti to the original form. Trimurthis
with their consorts gave darshan in this place.
POOJAS
AND CELEBRATIONS
Apart from regular poojas, Chithirai Theppa
thiruvizha, a 9-day festival during Avani, a 10-day festival in Margazhi
Thiruvathirai, and 9 days Thirukalyanam utsavam in Masi.
TEMPLE
TIMINGS:
The temple will be kept open between 04.30 hrs to
12.00 hrs and 16.00 hrs to 20.30 hrs
CONTACT
DETAILS:
The temple may be contacted on landline number +914652 241 421 for
further details.
HOW TO
REACH:
Suchindram is about 7 km from Nagercoil, 15 km from
Kanyakumari, 100 KM from Tirunelveli, and 800 km from Chennai.
The nearest Railway station is Nagercoil.
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE: CLICK HERE
Chariot Sculptures
Gangalar
Gangallar Sannadhi
Musical Pillars
Hanuman
Mahasadhasiva Moorthy & Kazhuvetra sculptures on the right
Temple Tank with Neerazhi mandapam
Manmathan
Rathi
Brahma with his consorts
Lord Shiva in standing posture under Kallala tree
Thirivikrama Panel
Shiva & Parvati
Krishna & Gangalar
Subramanyar Sannadhi Dwarapalakas
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---
No comments:
Post a Comment