23, July 2013
I had the opportunity of joining Tour organised by REACH Foundation, on 21st July 2013 to Neyveli, Thirupachur, Thiruvalangadu, Manavur and Pazhayanur. It was an wonderful experience. Learnt a lot from Mr Vagula Vradharajan, the Historian.
Initially I thought Neyveli is the place in North Arcot district where Neyveli Lignite Corporation is located. Then I understand that this Neyveli is near to Poondi ( Thiruvallur ). On the way to Thiruvallur Mr Chandrasekaran, PRO of REACH foundation narrated the incidents happened about the the Neyveli Shiva Temple. It was learnt that the Neyveli Shiva Temple is being worshipped by Siddhars in shusma roopam. The incidents happened are proof for the same. Miracles also happened through Lord Agneeswara Swamy of this temple. I am really glad to worship Lord Agneeswarar. Initially only the Shiva Lingam’s head was visible, through Kallala tree trunk. When excavated there was no damage and the Lingam was found intact with shining. Kumbabishekam was conducted recently and we went for the mandala pooja. The new temple was constructed in front of original Shiva Lingam. The details are as follows.
Iraivan : Sri Aadhi Agneewarar
Iraivi : Sri Lalithambigai
Sthala Virksham : Kallala Tree
Some of the important features of this temple are....
- The Rajagopuram is yet to be constructed and the entrance arch is on the south side. The temple is facing east.
- In the outer prakaram Sannadhi for Radha with Krishanan, Ganapathy, Sri Valli devasena Sametha Subramaniyar, Vana Durgai, Sandikeswarar, Naga Devar and Naga Devathai with a Child ( It was believed that if one worships naga Devathais they will be blessed with Childeren ) and Sri Dhakshinamoorthy is under the Kallala Tree facing south.
- The Sthala Viruksham is a real Kallala Tree and it is believed that the tree is more than 5000 years old. Also Yakshini’s are living in the tree hence the tree itself treated as sacred. There are some Latterite stones are seen in between the roots of the tree. These stones might have been used for the original temple.
- A siddhar in the form of snake lives in the tree and one or two people had the dharshan.
- Ambal is facing south in standing posture with four hands. Lotus on two hands and other two in abaya hastham and vara hastham.
- We, 15 member from REACH foundation went through a van from Chennai.
- Neyveli is on the way from Thiruvallur to Poondi. And the temple is about a km off main road on east side of the village in the mids of paddy field.
- For pooja and timings Please contact Ramamoorthy Gurukkal 9843685562 and Pradeep 9710709301.
Sthala Viruksham Kallala Tree
East side entrance arch
Nagadevar and Naga Devathai with a child
South side entrance arch and the Gajabirusta vimanam is on the left side
Kallala maram trunk
Sri Vana Durgai
Kallala maram fruits
After Dharshan of Lord Agneeswarar we proceeded to see the Poondi archaeological museum. On the way we had seen the the place where the stone weapons were are made during stone age period. The site is now under the control of Archaeological Department. Through Historian Mr Vagula Varadharajan it was learnt the site might be 1 lakhs years old. The stones we had seen are very much looks like stone age weapons.
Since the museum was closed, we returned back to Thiruvallur for second breakfast. At temple we had Lord Shiva’s prasatham as first breakfast.
It was 11.30 Hrs when we proceeded to Thirupachur after breakfast at Thiruvallur. We are lucky enough to enter in to the temple before closing the temple after pooja. After dharshan, our historian explained the details of the temple. Since Ambal is on the right side of the moolavar, this temple is important for the marriages. To prove that there is a Kalyana mandapam on the north east corner of the temple complex which is now in ruined condition.
This is the 16th Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam in Thondai nadu Appar and Thiruganasambandar has sung hymns in praise of Lord Shiva of this temple.
Iraivan : Sri Vaaseeswarar, Sri Paachur Nathar
Iraivi : Sri Thangathali ( Tham Kathali )
Sthala virksham : Bamboo
Some of the special features of the temple are ....
- The temple is facing east with a 3 tier rajagopuram on the south side.
- The moolavar was in a bamboo forest, when bamboo was cut by the hunters the vasi ( axe like tool to cut wood ) hit the moolavar. Still scar can be seen on side and top. Moolavar is of suyambu theenda thirumeni on square aavudayar. ( some people said the moolavar is also in bamboo )
- There is no sannadhi in outer prakaram.
- In the inner prakaram sannadhi for Selva murugan, Navagrahas, Somaskandhar, Vinayagars ( 5 in number ), Sabtha Kannigaikal, Naalvar.
- Urchava mootham for Chandrasekar, Sukravara Amman, Vinayagar, Shanmugar, Naalvar, Paachur Amman, Somaskandhar.
- In Koshtam Vinayagar, Dhakshinamoorthy, Lingothbavar, Brahma, Durgai
- Dwarabalakars are beautifull. ( Pictures are uploaded. )
- This temple is on the Chennai to Thirupathi bus route and 3 KM from Thiruvallur town.
- Town buses are available from Thiruvallur since the temple is on the highway.
- Autos are available from Thiruvallur.
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE : CLICK HERE
East side entrance with dwajasthambam
Raja gopuram ( South side ), Pali peedam with simha vahanam of Ambal temple
Ambal Sannadhi front view
3 tier Rajagopuram on the south side
Beautiful art in stone see the Chuzhiyam in the forehead and Simhmam on the head gear of Dwarabalakar
Full view of dwarabalakar
Tamil inscription on the karuvarai wall
Beautiful Brahma - See the hip belt with Simha face
Vishnu Durgai - different from others. Chakra is in round only half is visible and other half in the behind stone. Please see the sari frills on both side of the hips.
Ambal sannadhi Gopuram
The details of the temple are recorded in one of my earlier post. I had taken some photos this time which are rare to see. We tried to read some of the Tamil inscriptions, but could not do so, damaged due to sand blasting during renovation.
Many Pudai sirpam of Pallava period Pig, sword and half moon - As per historian Muslims hate pigs - so Muslims will not destroy the temple
Seppu and brass moortham of Kottaiyur Muthukauupan Chttiar and Kamu ammal - Might have done Thiruppani to this temple - Please see the turban of Chettiyar looks beautiful and looks like real.
a mural at the entrance of moolavar sannadhi
A statue kept in a ventilator behind Saba mandapam. Is it Karaikkal Ammayar?. May not be since left leg is not folded
Temple view from outer prakaram
Entrance of Shiva temple
SRI NANDHIKESWARAR SHIVA TEMPLE.
The Village Manavur was once a Manavur Kottam during Chozha period.
Manavur is very near to Thiruvalangadu, where we had the dharshan of Thiru Nandheeswarar. There was story for the construction of Rajagopuram. When they tried to construct the Rajagopuram and do the Kumbabhishekam, faced lot of problems and work was moving in a snail space. After prasannam they came to know that the delay was due to neglect of Ganapathy temple in front of Rajagopuram. After kumbabishekam was performed to Rajaganapathy, they could able to construct the Rajagopuram with out any hurdle.
Iraivan: Sri Nadheeswarar
Iraivi : Sri Anandhavalli.
Some of the details of this temple are ....
- Iraivan gave Thirumana kola dharshan to Agasthiyar.
- Iraivan gave moksham to Nandhi bhagavan.
- In the outer prakaram sannadhi for Mukkan Vinayagar, Pragadheeswarar and Nagars.
- In the inner prakaram sannadhi for An ammbal, Vinayagar, Ashta Lakshmi, Sandikeswarar, Sri Valli Devasena samedha Subramaniyar and Bairavar,
- In koshtamVinayagar, Dhakshinamoorthy, Lingothbavar, Brahma, and Vishnu Durgai.
- The temple is of 4th century. There is a valampuri Vinayagar on the left side of Karuvarai. The Pillayar belongs to Pallava period ( Very much similar to Pillayarpatti Vinayagar. ).
- Ambal is facing south in standing posture.
- There is a saying about the temple ie Aadiyathu Aalangattil, Amarnthathu Thiruvuralil and Manthathu Manavuril.( ஆடியது ஆலங்காட்டில், அமர்ந்தது திருவூரலில், மணந்தது மணவூரில் )
- Kumbhabishekam was performed on 25-03-2012.
- T2 bus is available from Thiruvallur to Thiruvalangadu via Manavur ( Daily two trip only )
- Manavur rly station is very near to the village on the Chennai to Arakkonam route.
- The temple is open between 08.00 Hrs to 12.00 Hrs and 17.00 Hrs to 20.00 Hrs.
- For pooja and details can be obtained from Mr Srinivasan at 8012247358 and 8098795873.
Entrance of Main shrine from south side
The newly built 5 tier Rajagopuram
Temple view from back side
Temple view from Dwajasthambam
Old Nandhi vahanam - may be 200 years old.
MANAVUR OLD SHIVA TEMPLE
After Lunch at temple we had been to a ruined temple out side village. Trees are found grown on the temple. ( Where it will get water during non rainy season ? ) Vinayagar sannadhi is little away from main shrine.
Iraivan: Sri Karkaatteeswarar
Iraivi: Sri Kamakshi
Some of the details are ....
- Sannadhi for Vinayagar, Sandikeswarar and Ambal
- Kanchi Periyavar once stayed in the temple, when he was on tour.
- This temple is for the KDAKA rasi temple, They can perform the parikaram in this temple.
- Iraivan gave moksham to nandu ( crab )
Devotees are requested for the reconstruction of this temple. Donations may please be sent to Mr Srinivasan at 8012247358 and 8098795873 and get the blessings of Lord Shiva karkaatteeswrar.
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE :CLICK HERE
Temple from a distance - looks the trees are not on the temple.
Closer look - yes the trees are grown on the temple itself
Moolavar and inside is intact
see the roots of banyan tree - goes up to the base.
Ambal Sannadhi - inside looks fine only the outer wall damaged
Old damaged well - Abishekam might have done using this well water
Pudai sirpam of Vinayagar
The damaged outer wall of the main shrine
Damaged outer wall of main shrine - pudai sirpams
Damaged outer wall of main shrine - pudai sirpams
Once again we came to Manavur and went to Kandasamy temple. The vahanam of this temple is Elephant. The archakar told that the temple was constructed before sura samharam period. The pecock vahanam has come after sura samharam. The moolavar is beautifull. This Kandhan gives ganam. There is no sannadhi for Sri Valli and Devasena. Old Tamil inscriptions are found on the base of the temple. As per historians the temple was built during Pallava Period.
MANAVUR KANDA SWAMY TEMPLE :
Elephant as vahanam
Also we worshipped Sri Veeraragava Perumal with Sridevi and Boodevi on both sides. All are in sitting posture. This temple was also an old one.
Sri Veeraragava Perumal with Sridevi and Boodevi
On the way to Chennai after Manavur we decided to see the Shiva temples and the memorial of vellalars who ends their life for a Marchant by jumping in to fire. First we went to a Shiva temple which was little away from the village in the midst of field.
Iraivan: Sri Kailasanathar
Iraivi : Sri Parvatha varthini
Moolavar is of suyambu. Also there is a Shiva Lingam in the Artha mandapam. Sannadhi for Ganapathy and Subramaniyar. Earlier period tamil inscriptions are found at the base on the temple. It was sad to see a inscription tablet is being used for the well water spout.
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE : CLICK HERE
PAZHAYANUR ANOTHER SHIVA TEMPLE
Inside the Village there is another important ancient ( belongs to Pallava Period ) Shiva temple which has its own history. It is believed that Lord Shiva called Karaikkal ammayar as mother ( Ammaye ) and hugged her. Karaikkal Ammayar went to the Shiva Temple of Thiruvalangadu through her hands from this temple, since the pebble stones on the way resembles as Shiva Lingam. Also another important feature of this temple is Naalvar has sung hymns on Thiruvalangadu Shiva from this temple without going there.
Iraivan: Sri Thazhuvakozhuntheesar
Iraivi: Sri Anantha Valli.
In artha mandapam Nallvar, Ganapathy and urchava moorthangal are there. In the outer prakaram sannadhi for Vijayaragava Perumal Subramaniyar and Sandikeswarar. In Koshtam Durgai, Brahma, Vishnu in place of Lingothbavar and Dhakshinamoorthy. The temple is facing west with out Rajagopuram.
Nandhi manndapam with Pali peedam
Entance mandapam arch
We had also seen the memorial constructed for the 70 vellaras who ends their life by jumping in to fire. The story behind that was the vellalars promised in front of Lord Shiva Sri Sakshi Bootheswarar temple to save the life of the merchant from Neeli, a ghost, but could not do so. The Neeli killed the merchant. So they ends their life. It is believed that this incident happened approximately 2500 years before. In side the pit pudai sirpans are found around the wall.
Sakshi Bootheswarar temple
Pudai sirpangal around the inner wall
Sudhai sirpam of Vellalar entering in to the fire
A memorial mandapam for the 70 vellalars jumped in to the fire to ends their life.
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA:---