19th November 2016
This protected monument inscription starts with “This Bridge” is between Saidapet and Nandanam separately fenced in the PWD vehicles repair shop. This was originally built with obelisk, which is missing now. This was built on the surplus water channel from a large tank, which once existed along the western edge of Mount Road, starting at Saidapet and curving along the Nungambakkam High Road. The water in the channel flows between the present Tod Hunter Nagar and Pern Pet. This memorial pillar is under the control of Archaeological Survey of India ( ASI) as protected monument.
This monument was erected in the year 1786 CE, by a merchant called Adrin Fourbeck ( 1712 to 1783 CE ). As per his will, Chief Engineer of Madras ( Government ) Let. Col. Patrik Ross built this bridge for the benefit of the general public under the guidance of his secretaries Thomas Pelling, John de Fries and Peter Bodin. The four sides of the pillar has the same message inscribed in Tamil, English, Latin and Persian.
For further reading, a post by Mr Venkatesh, writer and the Historian on the face book click here.
LOCATION: CLICK HERE