Sunday, 20 November 2016

TIRUCHENGODE SRI ARTHANAREESWARAR TEMPLE, A HISTORY FROM 7th CENTURY - IN SEARCH OF HISTORY – KONGU NADU – A HERITAGE WALK.

13th November 2016.
We, six history enthusiasts M/s Srinivasan. Raja, Nandhakumar, Santhosh and Vijay trekked the Tiruchengode hill through steps, in which the 7th century poet and one of the Nayanmar Thiruganasambandar trekked the hill to have the dharshan of Sri Arthanareeswarar. Even though the hill temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva, Chengottu Velavar, Sri Subramanya Swamy is given more importance.  
The Tiruchengode hill was called as Kodimadachengundram during 7th century and Nayanmars also mentioned in their hymns. Even though I had been to Sri Arthanareeswarar temple number of times, this time we had seen the temple and the hill in  a different perspective. From start  of the steps to the Sanctum we had seen Chozha, Kongu Chozha,  Pandya, Vijayanagars, Kettimudali, Udayars, Nayaks and Britishers contributions. Yes Britishers too contributed to this temple.

We have inscriptions  from 10th century on the hill by the side of the steps. The Kings and individuals who contributed to this temple are  Chozha King 1st Rajendran ( 1032 CE),  Chozha King Rajakesari Varman ( 10th century), Chozha King ( Kongu - 13th Century), Chozha King 3rd Rajendran ( may be Kongu Chozha )( 13th century ),  Pandya king 2nd Sadaiyavarma Sundaran ( 13th century),  Kongu Chozhan Veera Rajendran ( 13th century ), Vijayanagar ( 16th century), Veeraprathaba Krishnaraya Maharayar,  Krishnadeva Maharayar, Sadasiva Maharayar, Nallathambi Kangeyan, Athappa Nallathambi Kangeyan, Athappa Irumudi Nallathambi Kangeyan ( 17th century ) Kumaraswamy kangeyan, Nayakkar  Viswanatha Chokkalingan, Vijayanagara ( 17th century )  Nayakkar Chokkanathan, Narashima Udayar, Nayakkar Boththu 9 18th Century ). Of the above Chozha King 3rd Rajendran has the maximum number of contributions.  ( for the copy of the inscriptions …. Please CLICK HERE ).

The inscriptions mainly speaks about gold, land, coins, mandapas, ponds to store water donated to Lord Shiva for the neivethyam, poojas,  Thirumanjanam, Annathanam, Burning of perpetual lamp, celebrating functions and chanting of Vedas & hymns.  Now it is very sad to note these inscriptions are being destroyed by cutting of snake reliefs in the name of parikaram.

There is no separate inscription of the Britishers. Davis W D ( 19th century ) an acting collector of Salem renovated the Vigneswarar Mandapam and his relief is on one of the pillar and also on the rock near the Sanctum. ( He also constructed a mandapam and a marriage hall for Sri Sukavaneswarar temple in Salem Town ).

LOCATION :CLICK HERE
FOR MORE PHOTOS AND INSCRIPTIONS ON GOOGLE :CLICK HERE 






 Cutting the nose of the defeated kings soldiers – a relief  - Mainly available in Salem dist temples 
 The person killing the tiger and his dog also biting the tiger.
 Jeyshta Devi- or the Thavvai Thai still in worship
 Iyyanar 

 Inscriptions - Near the Nagar Temple 
 Inscriptions - Near the Nagar Temple 
 Inscriptions - Near the Nagar Temple 

 Inscriptions between 325 to 365 steps 
 Inscriptions between 325 to 365 steps - see how do the people destroyed the inscriptions by cutting Nagars  
 Inscriptions between 325 to 365 steps - see how do the people destroyed the inscriptions by cutting Nagars 
 Inscriptions near 60 steps 
 Inscriptions near 60 steps 
 Bell structure was donated by the Britishers and the supporting rail was imported from UK during 1910
 Bell structure was donated by the Britishers and the supporting rail was imported from UK during 1910

Old bell  donated by and individual of course not used now 
 DAVIS, W D ( 19th century )The Salem collector since 1923 to 1926. He constructed the Vigneswarar sannadhi mandapam, whose relief is also on one of the pillar  
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

1 comment: