Continuation to the previous post……
SRI AZHAGIYA SINGAR PERUMAL TEMPLE – THIRUVELIKKAI, KANCHIPURAM.
07th August 2016.
Moolavar : Sri Azhagiya singa Perumal, Sri Narasimhar.
Thayar : Sri Amirthavalli, Sri Velikkaivalli
Some of the important features of this temple are …
- The name of the sthalam says that Perumal is there to help his devotees. “Vel” means wish and “Irukkai” staying there. Since Perumal wishes to stay here to help devotees in sitting posture called as “Vellikkai”
- Narasimhar is in sitting – iruntha – posture facing west direction in Yoga stage.
- Lord Perumal manifested as Narasimhar and proceeded westwards to banish the asura demons from the vicinity, where he stood in the posture of Yoga.
- Bhaktha Prakalathan story is associated with Yoga Narasimhar.
- Sannadhi for Andal, Alwars and Prakalathan are in the outer prakaram.
- The annual festival is celebrated during the month of Margazhi.
- Palipedam, Dwajasthambam are at front after 4 tier Rajagopuram.
- Moolavar Narsimhar in Yoga sitting posture under Kanaka Vimanam.
- The temple has the mangalasasanam by Thirumangai Alawar and Peyalwar.
- Sri Vedanta Desikar has sung “Kamaasi Ashtakam“ explains about Sri Narasimhar and wish to stay in this temple. ( Kamaasi = Kama+ Aasika – standing on his own wish ).
- Birhu muni worshiped Lord Narasimhar of this temple.
- The temple is believed to be constructed by Pallavas in late 8th century and Chozhas ( Rajathiraja and Kulothunga Chozha ), Vijayanagara Kings also contributed to the temple.
TEMPLE TIMINGS :
- The temple kept open for dharshan from 07.00 hrs to 12.00 hrs and 18.00 hrs to 21.00 hrs.
CONTACT DETAILS :
HOW TO REACH :
- The temple is in Vishnu Kanchi and about 3/4th KM from Ashtabuyagaram temple.
- Autos are available from Main bus stand.
……. To be continued
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA---