Sunday, 25 November 2018

Sri Thirukandeshwarar Temple at Chakkaramallur, near Arcot, Vellore District, Tamil Nadu.

17th November 2018.
It was around 13.00 hrs when we were crossing the Chakkaramallur Shiva temple. Knowing that the temple might have closed and want to test our luck. On reaching Chakkaramallur, the temple was found closed as expected. When asked to open the door for us, the trustee accepted with hesitation and opened the door for the darshan of Lord Shiva. Thanks to the Trustee and Lord Shiva.


Moolavar    : Sri Thirukandeshwarar
Consort      : Sri Tripura Sundari

Some of the salient features of this temple are….
The temple faces east with an entrance arch on the south. On the top stucco images of Shiva with Parvati as Rishabaroodar, Vinayagar, and Subramaniyar. Dwajasthambam, balipeedam, and Rishabam are in the outer praharam.

In Koshtam Vinayagar, Dakshinamurthy, Vishnu, Brahma, and Durgai. In the artha mandapam Kasi Visalakshi with Kasi Viswanathar and Ganapathy. Ambal Sannidhi is attached to the Maha mandapam and faces south. Navagrahas, Subramaniyar and Vinayagar sannidhis are in Maha mandapam.

ARCHITECTURE
The sanctum sanctorum consists of sanctum, antarala, artha mandapam, maha mandapam, and front mandapam. A Gajabirushta vimana is on the sanctum built with brick and mortar. The sanctum was built with Green stone is a specialty of this temple.

The prati bandha adhistanam is on a raised upanam and padma peedam. The Pratibandha adhistanam consists of jagathy, vrutha kumudam and viyyalavari. The Bhitti starts with vedika. The salas are padra salas protruding a little outside. Brahma kantha pilasters are with malaithongal, kalasam, kudam, plain mandi, palakai, veerakandam, and vettu & poo mottu pothyals. Pancharas are on the outside wall of antarala. 

The Prastaram consists of valapi, kapotam, and viyyalavari. Nasi koodus are on the kapotam. The wall/Bhitti is raised up to the first level. Maha Vishnu, Brahma, and Dakshinamurthy are in the tala and greeva kostam.  


 Gajabirushta Vimana Sanctum was built with green stone


HISTORY AND INSCRIPTIONS
This temple might have been built during the 12th Century or before. A maximum number of  Vikrama Chozha ( 1118- 1135 CE ) Inscriptions with meikeerthi are found in the sanctum walls, adhistanam and Kumudam. The inscriptions mainly record donations of land given to the temple and the Village. (Thanks to Saravanan Raja of Incredible Vellore Facebook page)

As per the inscriptions, this place was called "Chakramoothoor"/Chakramudur also called "Narlokaveera Nallur". (The Chozha King Vikrama Chozha named one of his Chieftains Arumbakkathu Kalingarayan as "Naralogaveeran" appreciating his bravery and the Village name as Naraloga Veera Nallur). After completing the thirupani at Thillai as per the King's order, he had done thirupani to this temple also.

During a severe drought in this area, a King called Veeraprathaban distributed rice and saved the people. This is inscribed in the form of a song, and the same reads as...

மண்ணி லெங்கும் நெல்லிலா
திருந்தகா விரை எல்லா வழங்கு
சக்கிர புரி தழைக்க வாழி திரந்து விட்டவ
முதுகால்திண்ணில்ம் பரந்த குன்
இராயன் மந்திரி கிரி வை வாழ் சைவ
சக்கிர பிரதாபனே!  

As per ARE 1939 - 44
The Chozha King Tribhuvana Charavarthi Rajarajadeva's 15th reign year inscription records the endowment of 500 Kuli land for the early morning service in the temple of Mukkannadevar ar Chakramudur in Damarkottamof Jayangonda Chozhamandalam, made by the order of the King through agency of Pillaiyar Padhurantakap-Pottappichcholar alias Gandagopala, by Damodaran Arulalapperumal, the head man of Somangalamin Mangala Nadu a subdivision of Tirumunaippadi nadu in Rajaraja vala Nadu. 

Saka 1683 (1761 CE) year inscription records the sale of land by the Maudalinar of Chakramudur to Pushpanatha Nayinar and to Agastiya(pa) Nayinar son of Kuntiyappa (Nayinar) two Jaina residents of Tirupparambur for 405 Chennapattanam Varaha.

The Pallava King Koperunjingadeva's 22nd reign year records an agreement by the Sivabrahmnas of the temple, of Mukkandevar to burn a twilight lamp in the temple  in return for 300 kasu received by them from Tamattan Arulalaperumal of Somangalam ( evidently the donor mentioned in the 1st inscription )

Tribhuvana Charavarthi Rajarajadeva's 19th reign year inscription records a similar agreement to burn three twilight lamps in the temple in return for the gift of a buffalo costing 3 madai by Taluvinan, the son of Devargalsundaran, the pädikappan of the village.

This inscription records an order of Sambuvarayar issued to tho úravar of Chakramüdür to take 100 veli of land in their village as coming under taram (for the purpose of taxation) from the 5th year onwards ( of the reign of the king) and to record the fact on the walls of the Mukkannadevar temple.

A Chozha's period 14th reign year inscription records an agreement by the Sivabrahmanas to burn a perpetual lamp before the god in return for 600 kasu endowed by Periyanachchi alias Periyanattunangai, a dévaradiyal of the temple, and the bestowal by the Sthanattar on her and her descendants the right of owning the first house in the tiru madaivilagam and of precedence of honor on festival occasions in the temple in consideration of another gift of 500 kāšu made by her.

Vikrama Chozha’s 7th reign year inscription begins with the meikeerthi of "Pumadu punara....", etc. Gives a detailed list of the lands with their extent specified in each case, which had been endowed to the temple for its various requirements and recorded on its wall before its renovation by Tiruchchirrambalamudaiyan Tirunagai devan alias Sembiyan-Müvendavēlan of Alattur in Alattür nadu, a subdivision of Nittavinoda-valanadu in Sola-mandala and which were now confirmed by the ürar of the place. A few donors of the lands mentioned in the list also figure as signatories at the end of the record.

Vikrama Chozha’s 7th reign year inscription records the gift of lands in Naralökaviranallür measuring 13500 kuli in extent as dévadana to god Mukkandēvar by the urar of the village to provide for expenses of festivals in the temple with the Velikkäiu, Vellimuttaiyal and other taxes accruing therefrom. All the signatories of the previous inscription figure in this record also.

Vikrama Chozha’s 11th reign year inscription records the gift of two lamps to the temple, weighing 588 pulam by s certain Siyaradevan. 

Rajakesarivarman…. 6th reign year inscription states that the gold and paddy received as nirvilai from the tax-free lands of the village as well as from the devadana and Pallichchandam lands were set apart for the celebration of the festivals in the temple of Somisvaramudaiya-Mahadeva by the urar in place of the interest on a lump-sum received by them for the purpose from a certain lady named Achcham Arasi, wife of Vikkaladevan.

Tribhuvana Chakrvarti Kulothunga Chozha Deva’s 25th reign year inscription records an agreement by the Sivabrahmanas to burn two twilight lamps in the temple for the two palam-kasu which they had received from Siddaraman, the headman of Punnai, but which had accumulated with the interest thereon to 4 pudukkasu by their default.

Tribhuvana Chakravarti  Allun Tirukkalattideva Gandagopala’s 6th reign year inscription states that the circuit around the temple was built of stone by Surappa-Nayaka of Vinnamalai in Mělaippattai-nadu, a chieftain under Tyagasamudrappattai Vimarasar, who also made a gift of all the (ayam) income (due to him) from the dévadana (lands) of the temple and of the taxes on looms working in the tirumadaivilagam area and also of the fee in oil realized from the oil-presses in the village, for the sacred cloth and other requirements of the god and for burning 4 twilight lamps in the temple. 

Tribhuvana Chakrvarti Kulothunga Chozha Deva’s 14th reign year inscription records remission of certain taxes like antarayam, kättigaikasu, kaikkuli, and kurradandam due to the chief Sengeni Virasani Ammal-Appan Tirumendan Kannudaiperumal alias Vira Vino da-Vikramachola-Sambuvaraya in favor of the temple.

Tribhuvanachakravati Jatavarman alias Sundara Pandyadeva’s 12th reign year inscription records the gift of two cows left in charge of the Sivabrahmanas for a twilight lamp in the temple of Mukkannadeva by Kariya perumal Champan Jinattaraiyan of Kayirür near Sõlakula Vallinallar, the headman of Manarpakkam.

Rajarajadeva’s 1st (2nd ) reign year inscription records the gift of a buffalo for a sayadai (cart?) to the temple by Devagasundaran alias Maddivarayapparaiyan, son of Tondaiman Solapparaiyan, the pädikappan of the village.

In characters of about the 13th century CE. Praises the liberality of Siddhinatha alias Saivakekerappiratapan, a resident of Mandiradara, who is said to have supplied the people of Chakrapuri with an abundance of rice during a severe famine. 

Tribhuvanachakravati Jatavarman alias Sundara Pandyadeva’s 12th reign year inscription records the gift of two cows left in charge of the Sivabrahmanas for a twilight lamp in the temple of Mukkannadeva by Kariya perumal Champan Jinattaraiyan of Kayirür near Sõlakula Vallinallar, the headman of Manarpakkam.

Slab on the street much Damaged. Kulothunga Chozha’s 29th reign year inscription records an order of (Ammai)-appan Alagiyasola Sambhuvarivan, probably remitting the taxes on some lands in Chakramudur in connection with the formation of a new village called Sittiraméli-Padinen…lunippattinam alias Vijayapattinam.

Ref: 
Annual Report on South Indian Epigraphy, Year 1939 - 44.
 
 Vikrama Chozha's inscription
Vikrama Chozha's inscription

TEMPLE TIMINGS:
The temple will be kept open between 07.00 hrs to 10.00 hrs and 18.00 hrs to  19.00 hrs.

HOW TO REACH:
This Village Chakkaramallur is 15 KM from Arcot, 48 KM from Vellore, and 36 KM from Kanchipuram.
Bus facility is available from Arcot.

LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE:    CLICK HERE

 Entrance arch
 Gajabrushta Vimanam
 Inner Praharam entrance
 Ambal Shrine
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA--- 

2 comments:

  1. Sir is deity also called sakkara malleswarar pls clarity to my email I'd muralee765@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete