24th December 2016.
As part of Heritage walk in George Town area, after Sri Chennakesava Perumal temple and Sri Chenna Malleeswarar temple, we continued our walk on the Armenian street.
The Armenian street was named after this Church built during 1712 by the Armenian peoples exclusively for their worship. The deceased Armenians are buried in the Church Complex. In front hall paintings Jesus, Old Church, etc,
The bell tower was built separately and will be strike manually around 18.00 hrs. Regular prayers are not conducted in the church. The church is opened for public on all the days with fixed timings and it is extended to Armenians. During Armenian archbishop’s arrival mass will be conducted. In the alter picture of Mary carries Jesus ( child) to the heaven. The original alter is maintained till date and the paintings of Jesus can be seen on steps of the alter.
There is a memory stone fixed on the wall, which speaks about an Armenian merchant Kojah Petrus Woskan’s contribution for the reconstruction of the Marmalong Bridge ( Saidapet Bridge ) and steps laid to St Thomas Mount. His wife Mamakhatoon died in Madras in the year 1781 and buried in this Church Complex. We could see lot of tomb stones paved on the floor of the church premises and it was told that many Armenians buried here.
---Om SHIVAYA NAMA---