24th December 2016
Mr Venkatesh, Mrs Sreemathy, Mrs Sakthi Prakash, Mr Raja and self went for a Heritage walk on 24th December 2016, from Chenna Kesava Perumal temple to Nattukkottai Nagarathar Viduthis. On the way we peeped inside some of the heritage buildings like, YMCA, Pachaiappa’s College Higher Secondary School also.
Moolavar : Sri Chennakesava Perumal
Thayar : Sri Kamalavalli Thayar.
Some of the important features of this temple are ...
The temple facing east with a 4 pillar mandapam and an entrance arch. The 3 tier Rajagopuram with dwarabalakas are after the mandapam.
In the outer prakaram, sannadhis for Alwars ( Chakkarathalwar is in a separate sannadhi ), SenKamala Valli Thayar, Andal ( a Kili – Parrot - mandapam is in front ), Kothanda Ramar. The old temple was in the present High court complex. The temple was demolished for a clear view from the port by the British East India Company. Due to public protest British east India Company allotted land and donated money to reconstruct the temple. The temple was reconstructed during 1762 by Manali MuthuKrishna Mudaliar .
The original urchavar was sent to Thiruneermalai for safe custody during Tippu Sultan and Portuguese invasion. After that the present Urchava murthy ( which was not belongs to this temple ) was brought back to the temple.
During annual Bramotsavam at Thirupathi the Umbrellas will be taken from this temple in a procession. Temple tank and the Chariot are shared by both Sri Chenna Malleeswarar Temple and Chenna Kesava Perumal temple. There is an interlinking passage between these two temples.
The temple will be kept open between 07.00 Hrs to 12.00 Hrs and 17.00 Hrs to 20.30 Hrs.
CONTACT DETAILS :
HOW TO REACH :
The temple is about 500 meters from Broadway bus terminus and 200 meters distance from Pookadai Police Station.
About 1.5 KM from Fort Suburban Railway station.
Kili – parrot - mandapam
an owl relief on the Pillar
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA---