Wednesday, 21 March 2018

IN SEARCH OF CHOZHA HISTORY – THIRUKACHINERIKARAIKADU, THIRUMALPUR TEMPLES OF THONDAI NADU.


18th March 2018.
We 5 persons from Chozha mandala Varalatru Thedal kuzhu  visited the Kachinerikaaraikkadu and Thirumalperu on 18th march 2018, in search of inscriptions connected to Chozha History. Had been to these temples earlier in connection with Padal Petra Sthalangal dharshan.
 
THIRUKACHINERIKAARAIKADU.
This, Sri Sathyanatha Swamy temple is one of the Padal Petra Shiva Sthalam, believed to be reconstructed as stone temple during Rajendra Chozha period. The  adhistanam has the inscriptions of Rajendra Chozha – I, his son Rajathirajan, who died on the elephant in Thakkolam war, with title “thingalortharu thanrongkal”, Rajendra –II, who defeated Melai Chalukyas in Koppam war with title as “ Thirumathu puviyenum”, Rajendra Chozhas grand son and the last King of Chozha empire Athirajendran with the title as “Thingaler malarnthu venkudai”

It was sad to see the inscriptions are discontinued at some points by inserting  stone blocks without inscriptions during renovations may be during Nayak period.  Koshta moorthams are added at a latter stage by placing pillars on the inscriptions, especially Dhakshinamurthy.  The paint applied  and the oil lamp burned for the koshta murthy’s added more difficulty to read the inscriptions.

While taking some pictures of inscriptions, happened to see Bhudhas bas reliefs on the two pillars. Due to dust, water and oil deposited on one of the relief  could not be identified easily.



 Buddha 

Buddha
Buddha 

THIRUMALPERU.
This, Sri Manikandeswar temple is also a Padal petra Shiva Sthalam of Thondai nadu. It was told that the original inscriptions are estempaged in the year 1905 by the Archeological  department.  During the renovations in 1936 all the inscription stones are not fitted on the original places, instead they are used as floor slabs around, Nandhi, Palipedam and Dwajasthambam. With great difficult we could trace the name of Mathuranthakan Kandarathithan and the title of Rajaraja Chozha.

Since this temple comes under the control of HR&CE department, request them to take out these inscription slabs and install some place  so that it will benefit to the younger generations to know the History of this temple and the Kings who contributed to this temple. Thanks to Dr Udhaya Shankar, Mr. Andvar Kani, Mis Harini and Mrs Radha for this Heritage Visit.


 Prakaram base - Inscription 
 Prakaram base - Inscription 
 Inscription stones are used on the floor

 Inscription stones are used on the floor

 Inscription stones are used on the floor

The recent years Inscription on the Rajagopuram wall 
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

1 comment: