…. A Continuation post to Sri Panayathamman Temple - Exploring Poonamallee – A Heritage Walk
15th April 2018.
During our walk we had covered this Mosque also, apart from Hindu Temples and Churches. As per the inscription this Mosque was built and completed on 3rd August 1653 AD by one Rustam and his father Asthirabath Dhul-fikr, who worked under Nawab Janablath-Ul-Mulki Mir Muhammed, the representative of Golconda, during this period Madras was under the rule of Golconda King, Hajrat Alampanna Sultan Abdullah Syed. Sujayitha was the Hawaldar of the fort Punamallee at that time.
This inscription was estampaged and recorded by Pulavar Se. Raju, when he was worked with Thanjavur Tamil University. This inscription is recorded in Indo-moslemica, 1938 and Annual report on Epigraphy (B) 303 & 304 of 1939. This is the first Mosque built in Indo – Saracenic Style in Tamil Nadu. After renovations it is not looking like Indo Saracenic style and also it was learnt this has been converted as Dhargah. In the inscription plaque, they thanked Se. Raju for identifying the details of this mosque. Now the inscription was completely covered with tiles. The Mosque follows the principles of Ahle Sunnath-wal-Jama’th.