1st
February 2016.
Participated
with Sevas for the Uzhavaram at Sri Kamakshi Samedha Sri Somanatha Eeswarar
temple at Somangalam. The work involves cleaning the temple, clearing the
bushes on the side of the temple premises, and shifting Dakshinamurthy and Varahi Amman (both damaged) to the other Murtis kept adjacent to the south side
of the compound wall. We also moved an epigraph tablet near the sthala Vruksham. It is one of the 108 Gajabirushta Vimana-type temples constructed by
Choozhas. This is the Chandran Sthalam and one of the Navagraha sthalams in
Thondai Nadu.
Moolavar : Sri Somanatheeswarar
Consort : Sri Kamakshi Amman.
Some
of the important details of this temple are….
The
temple faces east without Rajagopuram and Dwajasthambam. The only entrance
arch is on the south side. The sanctum is of the Gajabirustam type. In the koshtam are Vinayagar, Dakshinamurthy, Mahavishnu,
Brahma, and Durgai. Nandhi is facing east, opposite Moolavar. The story
behind this was that during the construction of this
temple, Rishabam was sent to fight with the enemies
of the Chozha King.
In
the front mandapam, sannidhi for Brahma in a sitting posture. Bala Murugan,
Mahavishnu, and Balasubramaniar.
In
the outer praharam, Murtis are positioned on a pedestal (damaged) adjacent
to the Compound wall: Chandikeswarar, Subramaniyar, Ambal, Bhairavar, Navagrahas,
Chandran, and Suriyan.
Brahma (in sitting posture), Subramaniyar, and Maha Vishnu
Subramaniyar Sannadhi - in Mandapam
Chandran
ARCHITECTURE
The sanctum sanctorum was built in Gajaprishta style from adhistanam to sigaram. The temple consists of sanctum sanctorum, antarala, ardha mandapam, and maha mandapam. The sanctum samctorum is on a pada bandha adhistanam with jagathy, three patta kumudam, and pattikai. The bhitti starts with vedikai. The pilasters are of vishnukantha pillasters with square base, kalasam, kudam, palakai with lotus petals, and pushpa pothyal. The prastaram consists of valapi, kapotam with nasi kudus, and vyyalavari. One stala vimana, greevam, and Gajaprishta sigaram are on the bhumi desam. Shiva, Dakshinamurthy, Maha Vishnu, and Brahma are in the tala and greeva koshtams.
HISTORY
AND INSCRIPTIONS
This
Gajabirushta Vimana temple is believed to have been built during the 9th to
10th century Chozha period. As per the inscriptions, this place
was called Jayangonda Chozhamandalathu Sengattu Kottathu Somangalam, alias Rajasikamani Chathurvedi Mangalam, and Lord Shiva was called Someswarar. The inscriptions belong to Kulaothunga Chozha-I (1070
– 1120 CE), Rajaraja Chozha-II (1150 – 1163 CE), and Kulothunga Chozha–III with his meikeerthi மதிரையும் ஈழமும் கொண்டருளிய (1178 – 1216 CE). During the Rajaraja-II period, this place, Somangalam, was under Puliyur
Kottam, Kulothunga Chozhavalanattu, and Kundrathur Nadu. Kulothunga
Chozha-III inscription 1192 CE records the damage caused
by the Adyar River flood and the rectification of the Eri (reservoir). The inscriptions mainly record the gifts of lands, Cows, money, etc., towards the burning of perpetual and Sandhi lamps. As per the inscriptions, this place
was called Rajasigamani Chathurvedimangalam under Puliyur Kottathu
Kulothunga Chozhavalanattu Kundrathur Nadu, and later changed to Panchanadhivan
Chathurvedi Mangalam.
This
inscription (No. 182 of 1901) is engraved on three walls of the
Saundararaja-Perumal temple at Sômangalam, a village north of Manimangalam in
the Chinglepat district. The ancient name of the temple was Chitrakûta (1.3).
Like Manimangalam, Sômangalam belonged to Maganûr-nâdu, a subdivision of the
district of Sêngâttu-kottam (1. 2 f.).
Rajathiraja-II’s (1174
CE) inscription records the endowment of burning a lamp by Ekkattu Kottathu
Perumunaiyur Karanaththan Chandrasekaran. For which 2 cows were gifted to this
temple?
Kulothunga
Chozha-III's (1190 CE) inscription records that the eri breached seven
places due to heavy rain. Thiruchurakannappan Thiruvekambamudaiyan, alias Kaman
Kanda Vanavan, rectified the breaches. He also gave a gift of 40 pazhangasu to
rectify it in case the eri breaches again. Again, in 1192 CE, he rectified the eri
bund, which breached again.
A 1206 CE inscription
records the endowment of burning a sandhi lamp by Athipattu merchant ChikkaNdi
Chekkar. For which one pazhangasu was gifted to this temple? Another 1209 CE inscription records the gift of 2 Pazhangasu to burn a lamp at the Somanathar shrine by Udaiya Pillai.
Another 1244 CE inscription records the cows that were gifted to this temple for Naivedyam by Kulothunga Chozha Kannappan Adhi
Nayakan Neelagangarayan and Ullarilnallan Kalingatharaiyan.
Koperusinga-I’s 1257 CE inscription
records that the Gopuram was built.
References
South Indian Inscriptions Volume - III
LEGENDS
Chandran worshipped Lord Shiva to get rid of the curse given by Dhakshan; hence, this is one of the Navagraha Sthalam in Thondai Nadu.
THE
TEMPLE TIMINGS
The
temple is kept open from 07.00 hrs to 10.30 hrs, and from 17.00 hrs to 19.30 hrs.
CONTACT
DETAILS :
Sivachariyar
Suresh Gurukkal may be contacted for further details on his mobile at +91 9962003496.
HOW
TO REACH :
The town bus facility is available to Kundrathur from various parts of the city.
And
Somangalam may be reached through Town bus nos M89 and 88 R from Kundrathur and
18S from Tambaram.
LOCATION
OF THE TEMPLE: CLICK
HERE
Temple view with temple tank Vinaitheertha Kulam/ Somanatha Theertham
Rishabam / Idabam is also facing the same direction as Moolavar
Sri Kamakshi Amman sannidhi
Sri Kamakshi Amman sannidhi
Subramaniar Sannadhi
Bairavar sannidhi
Navagrahas
Sthala Vruksham Lingam and Nagar
Sthala Purana
Moorthams kept adjacent to the Compound wall
Jyeshta Devi
Dakshinamurthy and Varahi damaged; the Murtis shifted near the other Murtis kept adjacent to the compound wall
Is it Kuberan? –a relief on the pillar of the
front mandapam half disappeared under the floor
SEVAS
ON THE JOB
A Vinayagar temple at the entrance of the street
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA: ---
No comments:
Post a Comment