The visit to this Madikeri Fort, at Madikeri, in Kodagu
District, Karnataka, was a part of “Kodagu Heritage Walk”, from 22nd
to 24th May 2026, organised by “எண்திசை வரலாற்று மரபுநடைக்குழு”.
The town of Madikeri
was established by Mudduraja of the Haleri dynasty in 1681 C.E. and was known as
Muddurajanakeri, which, with the passage of time and usage, became Madikeri to the
locals and Mercara to the British. The fort at Madikeri appears to have been
built of mud during the Kodagu Rajas and later on rebuilt in granite masonry and
laterite blocks after it was captured by Tipu Sultan, who named it Jaffarabad.
Madikeri Fort, also
called Mercara Fort, was first built in the last quarter of the 17th
century (1681 CE) by Mudduraja, with a palace, which is about 110 feet long. It
was rebuilt into a fort of stone and bricks by Tipu Sultan, who gave it the
name of Jaffarabad. In 1814, the fort was rebuilt with mortar and bricks by Lingarajendra Wodeyar II.
The fort on the plan is an
irregular hexagon, almost conforming to the shape of the hilltop. There are
six circular bastions at the angles, each with a small bulbous dome covering
the top. The entrance to the east is an intricate and circuitous route guarded
by three successive gates, facing different directions. Towards the north, inside
the fort, two life-sized elephants made of masonry mortar stand in majesty. The
palace is an imposing two-storey structure, square in plan and with an entrance to
the south. Inside, a corridor runs along all four sides, on both floors, and
opens at the top to an inner courtyard paved with granite slabs. The sloping red tiled
roof covers this structure all around. The palace and the annexure buildings
appear to have been made of laterite blocks with lime masonry.
Presently, the palace
houses the state government office and court complex. An imposing church of the 19th
century, situated in the south-east corner, now converted into a museum, is
maintained by the state Department of Archaeology. The marble plaques in this
museum point to a part of history when British planters opened up this area and
set up coffee plantations. A brass plate inscription in Kannada, English, and
Urdu in the court premises mentions the construction of the palace from 1812 to
1814 C.E, by Linga Rajendra II of Kodagu.
There have been battles
that the fort has seen, and thus it represents a rich historical and cultural
background. In 1790, it came under the control of Doddavira Rajendra. Later, it
was renovated by Tipu Sultan. This reconstruction was followed by the renovation
by King Lingarajendra Wodeyar II.
Two
life-sized elephants made
of mortar are at the entrance. A labyrinth of passageways and alleys inside
the Madikeri Fort adds an element of mystery to it. The fort’s Veerabhadra
Temple was demolished and a Gothic-style Anglican church – St. Mark's Church – was built
in its place in 1855 with stained glass windows. The church now houses a museum
which displays historic items relating to Kodava life.
British also renovated
the fort twice. In the year of 1933, a clock tower and a portico to park the
commissioner’s car were added to the complex. And now it serves as the office
of the Deputy Commissioner.
The museum is now
maintained by the state archaeology department. There are other buildings as
well inside the fort. These are the Mahatma Gandhi Public Library, the Kote Maha
Ganapathi temple, and the district prison. Kote Maha Ganapathi temple is one of
the temples that compete for the Madikeri Dasara festival.
World War 2 Memorial.
The obelisk was erected
in memory of the Gallant sons of Goorg, who died fighting for democracy in
World War 2, 1939 and 1945.
LOCATION OF THE MADIKERI
FORT: CLICK HERE

















































No comments:
Post a Comment