…..a continuation post of our Pulicat Heritage visit
25th Feb 2017
After Madi Poonga ( Terrace garden ) Visit, we headed towards Puazhal reservoir from where part of water supply is pumped to Chennai City.
The Puzhal reservoir was built in 1876 during the British rule. The reservoir was originally a small tank with a capacity of 500 million cubic feet (mcft) and two masonry weirs, built using locally available laterite stones, then functioned as surplus weirs to release excess water in to Kosasthalaiyar River. Today, these masonry weirs are water-retaining structures as they have been replaced by two shutters with motorized operation. In 1997, the storage capacity of the water reservoir was increased to 3,300 mcft and the depth to 21.20 ft to cater to the drinking water needs of Chennai and also to store Krishna water (Telegu Ganga ) received from Andhra Pradesh through Poondi reservoir and the Sholavaram Tank.
The motor operated weirs
The present inflow of water
Laterite stones are being used for construction of this reservoir
SHOLAVARAM RACE TRACK.
The abandoned air strip, ( used during world war ) was used as a race track between 1960 to 1980. Before moving to Irungatukkottai all the races for both motor cycles and cars are held here under Madras Motor Sports Club. Experts from Britian and Germany were consulted to modify the air strip in to race track. From 1988 the races were shifted to Irungatukkottai.
Now the track is being utilized by the defense may be for a secret mission. It does not have any sign board and the vehicles are not painted with military green. When we entered in to the gate, we were asked to leave from the place. We could see lot of military truck movement on the track.
LOCATION: CLICK HERE
…. To be continued ( Thamaraipakkam Shiva temple )
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---