Monday, 10 September 2018

Forts of karnataka - Nandhi Hilss Fort, Begur Fort, Virupaksha Fort and Devanahalli Fort ( Tippu Sultan's Birth Place ), Karnataka.

22nd August 2018.
This visit was not aimed at Forts alone, but we came across these forts on the way to the Chozha period temples.

NANDI HILLS FORT
Nandi Hills obtained this name since the hill looks like a sleeping Nandhi, which is 1480 meters high above MSL. The Fort top may be accessed through an 8 KM stretch tar-topped road with 40 hairpin bends from the base. The Fort is also called Nandidurg (Nandhi Fort). Sri Yoganandheeshwara Swamy Temple, Tippu Summer House, Amrutha Sarovar, Basara mandapa, Andhra ganga, Arkavathi River origin point, Tippu drop, Sri Gavi Veerabhadra Swamy Temple, Nallikayi Basavanna, Brahma Ashram, Palar River origin point and Horse steps are inside the Fort. Some of the temples/structures within the fort are, built by the Banas, Chozhas, and Vijayanagara dynasties.

The Fort was Constructed by Tippu Sultan, covering all the above structures and ¾ of the circumference is inaccessible. Tippu built a Palace and used to stay during summer. The fort came under the control of the British after the first Anglo-Mysore war on 17th October 1791 CE, commanded by Cornwallis. British officials used to stay during summer and Francis Cunningham built a residence for Sir Mark Cubbon.

The Amruth Sarovar was built during the period of Sir Mirzan Ismail K C I E O B E, Dewan of Mysore, and opened on 22nd February 1936. The Tippu drop is a place where his enemy soldiers were thrown out from a high altitude to death, as a part of punishment.

LOCATION OF THE FORT: CLICK HERE

 Tippu Sultan's Summer residence
 Fort entrance




BEGUR FORT
When we were in search of a Cave temple with Jain statues in Hulimavu, a part of Bengaluru, happened to see this Fort. This circular fort was built on plains using mud for the rampart. As per the experts, since the rampart was constructed with mud, might have been supported by stone slabs to prevent mud from sliding down. As time passed stone slabs were taken away by the villagers, leaving a mud layer at the centre. The entrance was built with a stone structure like a mandapa. There is a moat excavated around the fort. It was learned that the fort must be 400-odd years old, to house a few families inside the fort. From the mandapa inscription, it was learned that Tondabbe, the daughter of Nagattara - the chief of Begur ( then known as Vepura) in the late tenth century, died performing the Jain ritual of Sallekhana (Fast unto Death). ( This detail was taken from a website.. since the fort is 400 years old, then how could be possible that a 10th-century inscription can come here? Is that stone was brought from a Jain monument..? ). It was told that there was an underground secret tunnel which was closed now.
 
The inside fort land was encroached on by the miscreants and cultivation was also done. After stiff resistance from the public, the encroachment was vacated. At present the 17th 18th century Sri Kashi Viswanath and Venugopala (Krishna) Swamy temples have there, renovated in recent years. It was also claimed that the original Venugopala statue is kept at Vishweshwaraiah Museum.   

LOCATION OF THE FORT: CLICK HERE



Moat around the fort

VIRUPAKSHA FORT.
Originally called “Guttahalli” it turned into the present name of Virupakshapura or simply Virupakshi. This place is about 2 KM  from Mulbagilu / Mulbagal. The Virupaksheeshwara temple with strong walls built by the Vijayanagar King Devaraya –II was also within the fort complex. The present Village and the temples are once protected by the strong Fort walls. The stones of the wall are missing in many places, reminds that a fort existed once. The gateway or entrance of the fort was also found in three places in the Village.

LOCATION: GPS Co-ordinates : 13°8'37"N   78°21'58"E CLICK HERE

The Virupaksha temple entrance


DEVANAHALLI FORT.
The refugees of Kanchipuram, belonging to Morasu Wokkalu  settled at this place Devanahalli, under the leadership of Rana Baire Gowda’s son Malla Baire Gowda, at the end of the 15th century. The founder of Bengaluru city, Kempegowda belongs to the Morasu Wokalu group ( This group offered their forefinger to Sri Kalabairava at Sitti Betta ). This place Devanahalli was with Gangas, the power shifted to Rashtrakutas, Nolambas, Pallavas, Chozhas, Hoysalas, and lastly to the Vijayanagara Dynasty.

During Vijayanagara rule, Malla Baire Gowda constructed a mud fort in 1501 CE with the consent of Devaraya II, at Devanadoddi ( Devanahalli ). During the change of the fort, in the hands of many rulers, the fort walls were strengthened and re-constructed with granite stones. In 1747 CE, the fort was passed on to Mysore Wodeyars under the command of Nanja Raja. The fort went under the control of Marathas many times and finally came under Haider Ali and his Son Tippu Sultan.  Tippu renamed Devanahalli as “Yousefabad”. The Fort finally fell in the hands of the British after the first Mysore war, under the command of Cornwallis in 1791 CE.

The fort is spread over 20 acres, east oriented in oval shape and fortification has 12 semi-circular bastions. The bastions have the provision of locating the cannons, which will not be visible from the ground. The entrance has 2 bastions on the left and right. The arch was plastered with lime and mortar. The passage is just enough to pass his army and horses. The houses of Tippu and Hyder Ali still exist in the Fort. The house of their high-profile officer Dewan Purnaiah also exists in the Village. A memorial mandapa was constructed at a place where Tippu Sultan was born in 1751 CE, which is about 500 meters away from the Fort Entrance. We could see remains of the Fort Wall in many places of this village with the original gateway. The Village expanded exponentially outside the fort breaking the walls. The remains of the Fort are maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)

LOCATION OF THE FORT: CLICK HERE



semi circular bastion

 A Memorial mandapa of Tippu Sultan's birth place

---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

No comments:

Post a Comment