Tuesday, 28 July 2020

Tiruvalleeswarar Temple / திருவலிதாயம் திருவல்லீஸ்வரர் கோயில்/ Tiruvalithayam / Thiruvalithayam, Padi, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.

This place, Thiruvalithayam, in the Thevara period, is now called Padi. This is the 21st Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam in Thondai Nadu. Since weapons for the war were stored in the temple premises, it is the so-called Padi. Sekkizhar mentioned the visit of Thirugnanasambandar in his Periyapuranam.


திருவேற்காடு அமர்ந்த செழுஞ்சுடர் பொன்கோயில்
        சென்று அணைந்து பணிந்து திருப்பதிகம் பாடி
வருவேற்று  மனத்து அவுணர் புரங்கள் செற்றார்
        வலிதாயம் வந்து எய்தி வணங்கிப் போற்றி
உருஏற்றார் அமர்ந்துறையும் ஓதவேலை
        ஒற்றியூர் கைதொழச் சென்று உற்றபோது
பெருவேட்கை தருவாழ்வும் பெற்ற தொண்டர்
        பெரும் பதியோர் எதிர்கொள்ளப் பேணி வந்தார்
... பெரியபுராணம்
Thirugnanasambandar has sung hymns in praise of lord Shiva of this temple.

பத்தரோடுபல ரும்பொலியம்மலர் அங்கை புனல்தூவி
ஒத்த சொல்லி உல கத்தவர் தாம் தொழுது ஏத்த உயர் சென்னி
மத்தம் வைத்தபெரு மான்பிரியாது உறை கின்றவலி தாயம்
சித்தம்வைத்தஅடி யார் அவர்மேல் அடை யாமற்று இடர்நோயே.

Moolavar  : Thiruvalleeswarar, Sri Valithaya Nathar.
Consort    : Sri Jagathambigai

Some of the important features of this temple are….
The temple faces east and has a 3-tier Rajagopuram. Balipeedam, Dwajasthambam, and Rishabam are after the Rajagopuram. In koshtam,  Vinayagar, Dakshinamurthy, Vishnu in place of Lingothbavar, Brahma, Durgai. Moolavar is a little big in size and swayambhu on a square avudayar.

Ambal sannidhi faces south. Standing in one place near the Rishabam, we could have the darshan of Moolavar and Ambal.

In the inner praharam are Urchavars and a Sannidhi for Somaskandar, Vinayagar (Vinayagar is with his two wives, Kamali & Valli). Subramaniyar, Meenakshi Sundareswarar, Nalvar, Hanuman worshiped lingam, Suryan, Bharadwaja Lingam, Bhairavar, Arunagirinathar, Balamurugan, and 63var (Complete 63 vars are not there). In the outer prakaram, Navagrahas and Guru Bhagavan. 

Arunagirinathar visited this temple and worshiped Murugan. Also  sang hymns in praise of Murugan.

    மருமல்லி யார்குழலின்                     மடமாதர்
        மருளுள்ளி நாயடிய                       னலையாமல்
    இருநல்ல வாகுமுன                           தடிபேண
        இனவல்ல மானமன                        தருளாயோ
    கருநெல்லி மேனியரி                         மருகோனே
        கனவள்ளி யார்கணவ                     முருகேசா
    திருவல்லிதாயமதி                              லுறைவோனே
        நிகழ்வல்ல மாதவர்கள்                    பெருமாளே
 
ARCHITECTURE
The temple consists of the sanctum sanctorum, antarala, and ardha mandapam. A two-tier brick Gajaprishta / Gajabrushta vimana is over the sanctum sanctorum. Stucco images of Shiva with Parvati, Dakshinamurthy, Maha Vishnu, and Brahma are on the Tala and Greeva kostams. 



HISTORY AND INSCRIPTIONS
The original brick temple existed between the 6th and 7th centuries. It was reconstructed during the Chozha period and extended during the Vijayanagara period. According to experts and Historians, the idols and sculptures belong to the 12th- to 13th-century Chozha Period.

The Thevaram hymns mention this place as Thiruvalithayam, which was corrupted to Thiruvallithayam during the Chozha Period. According to the inscriptions, this place was under the Jayangoda Chozha mandala Pauzhal Kottattu, Kundrathur Nattu (?) Thiruvallithayam. Lord Shiva was called Thiruvalithayamudaiya Nayanar and Thiruvallithaya-mudaiyar, and Ambal was called Thiruveethi Nachiyar (AR 217 of 1910). The inscriptions mainly record the donations in terms of Kasu (money) and land donated to the temple for poojas, prayers, Naivedyam, and celebrations.

மூன்றாம் இராசராச சோழனின் 10 ஆம் ஆட்சியாண்டு பொயு 1026, அர்த்தமண்டப வடக்குச் சுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு சென்னையில் உள்ள திருமங்கலம் பகுதியில் பிறந்த காரைகிழான் திருமலை உடையான் என்பவனும் பாடியில் வாழும் வெள்ளாளன் உய்யவந்தான் என்பவனும் திருவல்லிதாயமுடைய நாயனார் கோயிலில் இரண்டு சந்தி விளக்குகள் தினமும் எரிக்க,400 குழி நிலம் கோயிலுக்கு விலைக்கு வாங்கி பிறகு வழங்கி உள்ளனர். 400 குழி நிலத்தின் மதிப்பு 6 அன்றாடு நற்பழங்காசு ஆகும். சபை இறையிழிச்சு அளித்துள்ளது.
The Chozha king  Rājarāja III’s 10th year of reign 1026 C.Е., inscription on the north wall of the ardhamandapa in front of the Valliśvarar temple, records the grant of tax-free land measuring 400 kulis to the temple of Tiruvallidāyam in Pular Kottam for maintaining 2 twilight lamps by Tirumalaiyudaiyān and Uyyavandan. The land worth was 6 palaikāsu.

விஜயநகர வேந்தரான தேவராயனின் 10 ஆம் ஆட்சியாண்டு (பொயு 1419 சகம் 1342 விகாரி வருடம்),  கருவறை வடக்கு ஜகதிப்பட்டை உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, நுளம்பியாற்று மணஞ்சேரி என்ற நியாய பரிபாலனபேட்டை நிலவிற்பனையை இது குறிப்பிடுகிறது. விசையாலய நல்லூரான நுளம்பியாற்றுழார் இராச சிங்க விழுப்பரையர், கொங்கராயர், பெரியநாயனார், வல்லவரையர் ஆகிய காணியாளர்கள் திருவலிதாயமுடையார் கோயிலுக்கு நிலங்களை விற்றுள்ளனர். எல்லைகள் விரிவாகக் கூறப்பட்டுள்ளன. திருவலிதாயம் என்ற பெயருடன் பாடியும் கறைப்பட்டுள்ளது. இவ்விரண்டு பெயர்களும் தொன்மை வாய்ந்தவையாகும். நிலங்களின் விலை 180 காசுகள் ஆகும் தாங்களே இறை செலுத்துவோம் என்று கூறியுள்ளனர் இரண்டு மைப்படிகளும் ஒரே கல்வெட்டினைச் சுட்டுகிறது.
The Vijayanagara King Devarava’s 10th year of reign, 1419 С.Е, slightly damaged and incomplete inscription on the north wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine records the assignment of kani right of the village Niyāvaparipalanpettai to the temple of Tiruvallidayım udaiya näyanär for consideration of 180 väsıpadinarpanam by four persons holding the käni right of the village. It was stipulated that the tax and other dues in the state shall be paid by the seller of the käni.

விஜயநகர பேரரசு இரண்டாம் ஹரிஹர மகாராயரின் பொயு 1397 ஆம் ஆண்டு கருவறை வடக்கு, மேற்குக் குமுதத்தில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு மல்லன்ன உடையார் என்ற அதிகாரி திருவல்லிதாயமுடைய நாயனார்க்கு அரசின் சில வரிகளை ஒதுக்கி அவ்வாணையைக் குடிகள் நிறைவேற்றுமாறு கூறியுள்ளார். பட்டடைக்குடி செட்டிகள், கைக்கோளர், வாணிகர், எண்ணெய் வாணிகர் மற்றும் உள்ளிட்டார் செலுத்தும் பட்டடை ஆயம், பட்டடை நூலாயம், இரட்டித்து சர்வமான்யமாகக் கோயிலுக்கு வழங்க ஆணையிட்டுள்ளார். செக்குவரி மற்றும் உள்ள வரிகள் இதில் சேரும்.
The Vijayanagara King, Hariharāya II, 1397 С.Е. inscription on the north and west walls of the same shrine records the gift of taxes payable by the eighteen alias professional casts (Pattadai) of Pādi alias Tiruvalidayam in the temple of Tiruvallidāyam Udaiya nāyanār by the order of Mallanna udaiyār.

விஜயநகரப் பேரரசரான விருபாட்சிராயரின் பொயு 1472 ஆண்டு, கருவறை வடக்கு, மேற்குக் குமுதப் பட்டையில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, வேலூரில் பொம்மையா தேவமகாராஜா, பேரரசுக்குக் கட்டுப்பட்டு ஆண்டு வந்தார் என்பதையும், பொம்மையாதேவ மகாராஜா 4 விளக்குகளும் பொது ஜனம் ஒரு விளக்கும் கோயிலில் எரிப்பதற்காக 21 சோடி பணத்தை முதலீடாக அளித்துள்ளனர் என்பதையும் பதிவு செய்கின்றது. குறட்டூர் அகரம் இராசராச சதுர்வேதிமங்கல சபையார் திருவலிதாயமுடைய நாயனார் திரு முன்பு தினமும் விளக்குகள் எரிக்க உடன்பட்டுள்ளனர் குறட்டுரே தற்போது கொரட்டூர் வழங்கப்படுகிறது. பெருமக்கள் என்பதே பொது ஜனம் என்று வந்துள்ளது.
The Vijayanagara King, Virupākshā II’s 1472 CE inscription, on the west wall of the central shrine in the same temple, records the assignment of 21 Chodipaņam from Agaram Kurattür as a sarvamanya gift of Bommaiya dēva mahārāja for maintaining 5 lamps in the Tiruvaļlidāyamudaiyār temple in Ambattür-nādu. Now Kurattūr is called Korattür. 

தெலுங்கு சோழர் மதுராந்தக பொத்தப்பிச் சோழனுடைய 33-ஆம் ஆட்சியின், கருவறை மேற்குச் சுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு மன்னன் பிறப்பித்த உத்தரவை திருவலிதாயமுடைய வல்லீஸ்வரர் கோயிலுக்கு அனுப்பப்பட்டதைப் பதிவு செய்கின்றது. கோயில் திருப்பணிக்கும் திருஅமுது போன்றவற்றிற்கும் திருவலிதாய ஊர் வழங்கப்பட்டது. மன்னனே ஆணையில் ஒப்பமிட்ட விவரமும் கல்வெட்டில் உள்ளது. ஆட்சியாண்டு 33 என்றிருப்பதால் மூன்றாம் இராசேந்திரனுடைய கல்வெட்டாகக் கருதலாம். எனவே காலம் 1249 ஆகும். தெ.க.தொ.361 எண் 222- ஐ விடகூடுதலாக இதில் 2 வரி உள்ளது.
Teluguchola, Pottappi Chōla’s, 33 years of reign 1249С.Е., inscription on the west wall of sanctum sanctorum records the gift of the village of Tiruvalidāyam for the repair of the temple and the feeding of the māhēsvarās there in. The inscription ends with the signature of Gandagōpāla.

தெலுங்கு சோழர் விஜயகண்ட கோபாலனுடைய 3 ஆம் ஆட்சியாண்டு பொயு 1253, கருவறைத் தெற்குக் குமுதப் படையில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு திருவேகம்பமுடையார் பெருந்தெருவில் வாழ்ந்த தேவரடியார் தங்கச்சியார் மகள் கரிகால சோழப் பிள்ளையார் என்ற நாச்சியார் அம்பத்தூர் நாட்டு திருவலிதாயமுடையார் கோயிலில் திருவீதி நாச்சியார் மற்றும் நாயனார்க்குச் செப்புத் திருமேனிகள் செய்து வைத்ததுடன் பல அணிகலன்களும் அளித்துள்ளார். நெற்றிப்பட்டம், திருவிளம்பிறை, திருமங்கலநாண், முத்துக்கள், பவழம் கலந்த அணிகளுடன் பரிகலம், திருவாலத்தட்டு, அமுது வட்டில், முத்துவாளி மற்றும் வெள்ளி, பொன் ஆபரணங்கள் அளித்துள்ளார். கங்காதேவி என்ற நாச்சியார்க்கும் நகை அளித்துள்ளார். உள்ளூர் தேவரடியார் பொன்னாண்டையும் பட்டம் அளித்துள்ளார்.
The Telugu Chozha King Vijayaganda Göpäla Dēva’s, 3rd year of reign 1253 CE inscription on the south wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine in Tiruvalliśvarar temple at Pädi, records that a dancing girl of the Tiruvēgambam Udaiyä Näyanär temple at Kanchi consecrated the images of the goddess Tiruvidināchiyar in the temple and presented both to the god and goddess a number of jewels and vessels. Local devaradiyar, namely Ponnändai, also gifted jewels to the goddess.

மூன்றாம் இராசராசனின் 28 ஆம் ஆட்சியாண்டு, பொயு 1244, அர்த மண்டபம் தெற்குசுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, பாடியைச் சோந்த மாம்பாக்கிழான் பெருமாள் என்பவன் திருவல்லீஸ்வரர் கோயிலில் க்ஷேத்ரபால பிள்ளையாரை எழுந்தருளிவித்துடன் திருவமுதுக்காக ஐந்து நற்பழங்காசினை இக்கோயில் சிவப்பிராமணர்களிடம் அளித்துள்ளான் என்பதைப் பதிவு செய்கின்றது. அளக்கும் நாழியின் பெயர் திருஞானசம்பந்த நாழி.
The Chozha king Rajarāja Chola III’s 28th year of reign 1244 CE inscription on the south wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine records the gift of money (5palañkasu) for offerings to the shrine of Kshetra Palapillaiyār built in the same temple by a resident of Pādi. The donor's name was Māmpākkilān Perumal.

விஜயநகர அரசர் இரண்டாம் தேவராயரின் பொயு 1427 ஆம் ஆண்டு அர்த்த மண்டபத் தெற்குச் சுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, சந்திரகிரி ராஜ்யத்தைச் சேர்ந்த பலவற்றில் இடங்கையில் உள்ளாரும் வன்னியரும் திருவல்லிதாயமுடைய நயினாற்கு பாடியில் உள்ள பள்ளிகள் பேரில் இடங்கை வரி நீக்கி ஸர்வமான்யம் வழங்கியுள்ளனர். மற்றவரிடம் வசூலிக்கும் இடங்கை வரி இறைவன் திருவேட்டை திருவிழாவுக்கு வழங்கப்பட்டது. குறைவுறுப்பு வேறு கல்வெட்டுகளிலும் வந்துள்ளது. திருமெய்காப்பார்க்கு ½அளவு வரி செலுத்தினால் போதும் குடிகளுக்கு 3/4 அளவு வரி செலுத்தினால் போதும் என நிர்ணயக்கப்பட்டது. கல்வெட்டுத் தொகுதி 36-இல் எண் 215-கடைசி 3 வரிகள் இடம் பெறவில்லை. வன்னியர் வேறு, பள்ளி வேறு என்று இக்கல்வெட்டு கூறுகிறது. இனி, வன்னியப் பெரும்பிரிவில் பள்ளிகள் குறைவுறுப்பு என்றும் கூறலாம். தனிப்பிரிவாகக் கூறுகிறது.
The Vijayanaga King Devaraja II’s Year Plavanga. (Tamil rotating year)1427C.E, inscription on the south wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine records the gift of the tax idangai vari payable by Pallis of the village of Padi to the same temple by the community of Idangai classes and the Vanni yars living in the villages surrounding Chandragiri. No tax for people of Palligal living in Padi village. Other Idangai sect: ½ or ½ tax was fixed. Tiruvēţţai festival also mentioned in this inscription.

சோழ அரசர் மூன்றாம் இராசராசனுடைய 16-ஆவது ஆட்சியாண்டு, பொயு 1232 அர்த்த மண்டபத் தெற்குச் சுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, திருவல்லிதாயமுடைய நாயனார் கோயில் சிவப்பிராமணர்கள் ஒன்று கூடி உபயம் பெற்று கோயில் பணி செய்துள்ளனர் என்பதைப் பதிவு செய்கின்றது. மேலும் சோழமண்டலத்து நாங்கூர் நாட்டுத் திருவெண்காட்டுத் திருமடைவிளாகத்திலிருக்கும் திருவிடையான் திருவிராமீசுரமுடையான என்ற திருப்பதியம் விண்ணப்பம் செய்யும் திருச்சிற்றம்பலமுடையான, ஆச்சாயலிங்கமாக நாயனாரையும் அழகிய திருச்சிற்றம்பலமுடையார் (நடராசா) சிலையையும் செய்து வைத்துள்ளான் பூஜை, அமுதுபடி, சந்திவிளக்கு போன்றவற்றிற்காக அன்றாடு நற்பழங்காசு பத்துக் காசினையும் அளித்துள்ளார். மேலும் கோயில் சிவப்பிராமணர் மூவர் பெயர்களும் சாசனத்தில் உள்ளன. திருஞானசம்பந்தன் நாழி பயன்பாட்டில் இருந்தது.
The Chozha King Rajarāja Chola III’s 16th year of reign (1232 CE), inscription on the south wall of the mandapa infront of the central shrine records that a brahmana of Tiruvenkadu set up the god Alagiya Tiruchichirrambalam udaiya näyanär (Nadarasar) in the enclousure of the temple of Tiruvallidāyamudayan in Ambattür nädu a sub-division of Pular köttam in Jayangondasõļa mandālam and provided for offerings. Mentions the grain measure Tirugnänasampandan näļi.

சோழ அரசர்  மூன்றாம் இராசராசனுடைய 8 -ஆவது ஆட்சியாண்டு, பொயு 1224, அர்த்த மண்டபத் தென்புறச் சுவரில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, செம்பூர் கோட்டத்துப் பரமேசுர மங்கலமுடையான் சிலம்பணிந்தான் யாதவராயர் பாண்டார், திருவல்லிதாயமுடைய நாயனார் கோயிலில் விளக்கொன்று வைத்ததுடன் தொடர்ந்து எரிவிக்க அன்றாடு நற்பழங்காசு மூன்றினைக் கோயில் சிவப்பிராமணரிடம் தந்துள்ளார்.
The Chozha King Rājarāja III’s 8th year of reign 1224 CE inscription on the south wall of ardha mandapam, records the gift of money (3 Palańkāsu) for lamp by a certain Silambanindan Yadavarāyar Pākkampāndar of Paramēsvara mangalam in Sempür köttam.

பார்த்திவேந்திரவர்மனுடைய  6வது ஆட்சி ஆண்டு, மதில் அருகே தனிப்பலகையில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, குறட்டூராகிய பராந்தகசதுர்வேதி மங்கலத்துச் சபை கோயிலுக்குரிய 1350 குழி நிலத்தை விற்று தந்த பதிவேடே இக்கல்வெட்டாகும். புலியூர் கோட்டத்து துடமுனி நாட்டு திருவலிதாயில் என ஊர் சுட்டப்படுகிறது. சபை மஞ்சக்கமான நில விற்பனையில் எல்லைகள் விரிவாக உள்ளன. அம்பத்துர் ஏரி, கொன்றூர் கால்வாய், சுட்டப்படுகின்றது. இறையிலியாக விற்றுத்தரப்படுகிறது. வாசகம் எழுதியவன் ஒப்பமும் மற்றவர் ஒப்பங்களும் காண்கிறோம். நுந்தாவிளக்கெரிக்க மேற்படி விலைப்பணம் முதலீடாக்கப்படுகிறது.
The King Pārthivēndra varman’s 6th year of reign inscription on the slab stone lying (erected) in the courtyard records the sale of 1350 kuli land for a perpetual lamp to the temple of Mahādēva at Tiruvalidāyil Tudamuni nādu, a sub-division of Puliyūr kottam by the assembly of Kurattür (Now Korattur), alias Parāntaka chaturvēdimangalam and Ambattür ērikil nādu, a sub-division of Pular köttam.

1. ஸ்வஸ்திஸ்ரீ கோப்பார்த்திவேந்திர பந்மந்தி யாண்டு ஆ
2. றாவது புழல் கோட்டத்து அம்பத்தூரேரிக் கீழ்நாட்டு
3. க் குறட்டூராகிய ஸ்ரீபராந்தக சதுர்வேதிமங்கலத்து
4. ஸபையோம் புலியூர் கோட்டத்துத் துடர்முணி நாட்டு 
5. திருவலிதாயில் மகாதேவ ர்க்கு யாங்கள் எம்மூர்த் 
6. தெ ன்கழனி ஸபை மஞ்சிக்கமான நிலம் விற்
7. பதற்குக் கீழ்பால் அம்பத்தூரே ரி நீர் கொந்-
8. ற்றூர்குப் பாய்ந்த காலின் மேற்கு தென்பால் 
9. அம்பத்தூரேரி நீர் வில்லிப்பாக்கத்துக்கும் கொன்றூர்-
10. க்கும் பாய்ந்த காலின் வடக்கு மேல்பால் ஸபை மஞ்ச்சிக்கும் வ
11. டபால் ஸபை மஞ்ச்சிக்கும் இன் நான்கெல்லை யுள்ளகப்ப 
12. ட்ட நிலம் பதினறுசாண் கோலால் ஆயிரத்து முன் நூற்றைம்-
13. பது குழியும் இது .......... 
Continued..


Puzhal Kottam

Ambattur
Thiruvalithayam (PC: Anbuvanthiyathevan)

முதலாம் இராசராசனின் 10 ஆம் ஆட்சி ஆண்டு பொயு 995 தனிக்கல்லில் உள்ள கல்வெட்டு, மத்திய அரசு கல்வெட்டுத்துறை படியெடுத்து பதிப்பித்துள்ள இக்கல்வெட்டு தற்போது இல்லை. எனவே தொகுதி 36 எண் 226 கல்வெட்டு மூலமே இங்கே இணைக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது. முதலாம் இராசராசனுடைய 10 ஆம் ஆட்சியாண்டின்போது திருவல்லிதாயமுடையார் கோயிலில் ஒரு நந்தா விளக்கு வைக்க 90 ஆடுகள் வழங்கிய விவரமே இக்கல்வெட்டில் உள்ளது.
The Chozha king Rajaraja-I’s 10th year, 995 CE, reign inscription on a separate stone slab is not available. So the original inscription from SII Volume 36 No 226 is given here. The inscription records the gift of 90 sheep for a perpetual lamp to the temple of Mahādēva at Tiruvallidayil in Tudāmuniyür nādu, a subdivision of Puliyür köttam, by Palayantali Ayanakkāļi, a Sankarappadi from Anithirappadi.

முதலாம் இராசராசனின் 23 ஆம் ஆட்சி ஆண்டு தனி பலகை கல்வெட்டு தற்போது கோயிலில் இல்லை. தெ.க.தொ.36 எண் 227 பாடமே இங்கு தரப்படுகிறது. முதலாம் இராசராசனுடைய ஆட்சியின் போது புலியூர்க் கோட்டத்து துடமுனியூர் நாட்டுத் திருவல்லிதாயில் மகாதேவர் கோயிலில் செங்கழங்கிழான் திருவேளி காளிப்பட்டன் உமா(மகேஸ்வர) செய்தளித்து திருவமுதுக்காக 120 காடி நெல் முதலீடாக வழங்க அதன் வட்டி கொண்டு திருவமுது படைக்கப்பட்டது.
The Chōla king Rājarāja-I’s 23rd year of reign,  inscription on the slab lying in the courtyard of the Tiruvallīśvaramudaiyār temple is not available now. Hence, the original record in SII Volume 36 No 227 is reproduced. The inscription records the gift of 120 kadi of paddy for sacred food offerings to the deity Uma consecrated by Chengalankiļān Tiruvēlikānippattan in the Mahādeva temple at Tiruvalidayil in Tudamuninādu, a subdivision of Puliyur Köttam.

திருவல்லீஸ்வரமுடையார் கோயில் அர்த்த மண்டபம் தரைப்பகுதி மற்றும் குருக்கள் வீட்டுவாயிற்படி உள்ள துண்டு கல்வெட்டுகள். முதல் துண்டு கல்வெட்டு சோழர் காலத்ததாக இருக்கலாம். திருவலிதாய ஊர்ப்பெயர் இடம் பெறுகிறது. நில எல்லை இடம் பெறுவதால் நிலக்கொடையாக இருக்கலாம். நின்றவூர் (தற்போது திருநின்றவூர் என்றழைக்கப்படுகிறது) இடம் பெறுகிறது. இரண்டாவது துண்டு மண்டபம் கட்டியதைக் கூறுகிறது.
The inscription on the steps of the Gurukkal’s house is in broken condition. The same inscription belongs to a later period and mentions land boundaries. mentions Ninravur village.
The second bit 2 is in modern characters. Mentions the construction of the mandapa.

மூன்றாம் இராசராசனுடைய ஒன்பதாவது ஆட்சியாண்டு மண்டபத்தின் தென்புறச் சுவரில் வெட்டப்பட்ட கல்வெட்டு, பழையதானத்தை உறுதிப்படுத்தி வெளியிட்ட விவரத்தைக் கூறுகிறது. சிந்தாமணிபுரத்தில் 1200 குழி நிலம் சூரியன் பையூர் நாடாழ்வாள் அசங்கா.(ஒருசில சொற்கள் மறைந்து விட்டன) முன்னதாக திருவலிதாயநாயனாற்கு வழங்கியிருந்தான். பூந்தோட்டம் இரண்டும் மனை இரண்டும் உட்பட குழி 1200 ஆகும். சாளுக்கி நாராயணன் யாதவராயன் மீண்டும் கோயிலுக்கு நிலம் வழங்க ஆணையிட்டுள்ளான்.
The Chōla king  Rājarāja III’s 9th year of reign, 1225 C.Е., inscription on the south wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine, seems to refer to an old grant of 1200 kulis of land as dēvadāna in Chintamanipuram to the temple of Tiruvalidāyamudiya Nāyanär by Nādālvān of Chūriyan Paiyyür. These lands were then regranted by Yadavarāyan.

Reference
தமிழ்நாட்டுக் கல்வெட்டுகள் தொகுதி – 30. திருவள்ளூர் மாவட்டக் கல்வெட்டுகள் தொகுதி - 2

The inscription (214 of 1910), without the King's name and period, records that Chitrambalamudaya Nayanar was installed from Thiruvenkadu for pooja. Andhanars are  also brought from there, and for their food, a land was donated in this Thiruvalithayam, which came under Jayangonda Chozha Mandalathu Puliyur Kottam, Sangama Chozha Valanadu. It also records that paddy is to be given to them, which should be measured in Thirugnanasambandar Nazhi, alias Marakkal.

Rajaraja-I’s 28th-year reign inscription (216 of 1910) records the construction of the Kshetrapala Pillaiyar temple, and Naivedyam land was also gifted to this temple.

During Rajaraja-I’s period, the inscriptions (218 & 219 of 1910) record that Naranan Yadhavarayan of Chalukya, two houses, and two Nandhavanam (flower gardens) in Chinthamanipuram, a part of Padi, were gifted to this temple. Also, Parameswaramangalathu Silambur Kottathu Silambanithan Madhavarayan donated gold for the lighting of the perpetual lamp. 

Ref:
1. Annual Report on South Indian Epigraphy, Year 1910. 


LEGENDS
This is also one of the Guru parihara Shalam in and around Chennai. The Guru, one of the Navagrahas, has incurred a curse out of his lust and desire. To get rid of the curse, Maharishi Markandeya advised Guru to worship Lord Shiva of this temple.

Bharadwaja, Ramar, Anjaneyar, Suryan, Chandran, Indiran, and Valiyan (as birds) worshiped Lord Shiva of this temple.

In another legend, Bharadwaja, son of Guru Bhagawan, was born to Valiyan (Sparrow – கருங்குருவி). Bharadwaja, depressed about his birth as Valiyan, did penance to Lord Shiva of this temple. Pleased by the devotion, Lord Shiva blessed him as the lord of birds. Hence, this place was called Thiru (Sri) Valithayam, and Lord Shiva was also called Tiruvalleeswarar.   

It was believed that this temple was used for storing weapons during the war; hence, this place was called Padi. (To support this, the temple authorities mention the Padavettamman, where soldiers stayed and prayed before the war, and offerings after the war, which included Navakandam).

POOJAS AND CELEBRATIONS
Apart from regular poojas, annual Brahmotsavam will be held in Chithirai (April-May), and special poojas are offered on Thai Kiruthigai (Jan-Feb), Annabhishekam in Aippasi (Oct–Nov), Thiruvathirai in Margazhi (Dec –Jan), Maha Shivaratri in Masi (Feb-March), pradosham and Guru peyarchi day / Transit day.  

TEMPLE TIMINGS
The temple will be kept open from 06.30 hrs to 12.00 hrs and from 17.00 hrs to 20.30 hrs.

CONTACT DETAILS :
The landline number is 044 2654 0706 and may be contacted for further details.

HOW TO REACH 
The temple is in Padi, an industrial area in the western part of Chennai (Wheels India and Lucas TVS bus stop). City and Town buses are available from various parts of the City.
The temple is about 7.5 km from Koyambedu,  9.6 km from Chennai Central, and 20 km from the Domestic Airport
The nearest Railway Station is Anna Nagar Metro (4 km), and the nearest Junction is Chennai Central.

LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE: CLICK HERE





---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

No comments:

Post a Comment