Monday 17 October 2016

Menhir at Kumarikal Palayam, near Kunnathur, Tiruppur District, Tamil Nadu.

11th October 2016
When Mr Sadasivam told me about the menhir erected near my native, I could not believe it. He told me that the menhir is about 40 feet high ( top 3 feet was broken due to age). So I want to see on my own eyes to believe. Yes it happened on 11th October 2016, next day after Kodumanal visit.

The Kumarikal Palayam is a small hamlet with very few people, even without name board. From Kunnathur, Erode, Kumarikal Palayam is about 8 km after Karumanchirai. The Villagers guided me to the outskirts of the village in the middle of the field where the, ground nuts are sowed. Peacocks and Pea hens welcomed me.

Only the Menhir’s top portion was visible from a long distance. I was very much thrilled to see that near. I Could not imagine, how come this monolithic stone of 30 feet ( present height ), 6 feet wide at the base with a width of less than a feet, erected about 2000 years before with out any today’s modern equipment. It was really amazing.  Locals do pooja and pongal to this menhir.

LOCATION: CLICK HERE









--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA---  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your information, I will visit the site this month

    ReplyDelete