02nd October 2016.
In connection with my official duty many times crossed the street with the sign board of Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy Temple at Gandhi Nagar. Decided to visit the temple one day. Recently happened to a post in a social media about the temple and Travancore Maharajah’s contribution to this temple with an image of Rajah. This urged to visit this temple. After completing the Heritage Walk around the Adyar Creek, paid a visit to this temple on 2nd October 2016.
Iraivan: Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy
Some of the important features of this temple are....
1. The temple is facing east with stucco images arch at the entrance to the temple.
2. In the out side prakaram sannadhi for Sri Vinayagar on the left and Navagrahas on the right. At the centre Palipedam, Dwajasthambam and Garudalwar.
3. In the inner prakaram sannadhi for Urchavars, Goden Charriot, Sri Veera Anjaneyar, Krishna, Thulaparam.
4. The moolavar sanctum is of a rectangular shape to accommodate Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamay in lying posture on the Adhisheshan. There three doors to worship. Through the doors Perumal, Thayars, Brahma can be worshiped separately. Reliefs of rishis and Devas on the back wall of the sanctum.
5. In the Koshtam Sudharsanar, Lakshmi Narasimhar and Ashtabuja Durgai.
6. There is Shiva Lingam and Nagars under Pepaul tree on the roght hand side of the temple.
7. A Big Hall / Mandapam is on the right side of the temple to carry out discourses, Bhajans etc. During my Visit kolu was kept with different concepts.
8. Rajah Bahadur Shamsher Jang’s statue is installed at the back side of the temple with inscription at the base about the un-touchability and equal rights for the worship of Lord.
9. The Travancore Maharaja contributed to this temple and the history is as follows.
a. After the formation of Colonies of Gandhinagar and Kasturbanagar, the residents expressed their desire of having a temple to worship near their colony. They formed a Hindu Religious Society in the year 1956 at the residence of Mr A R Narayana Rao, Gandhi Nagar. The Society approached His Highness Padmanabha Daasa Chithirai Thirunaal for a land in side his palace premises for construction of a Temple near Adyar Bus depo. . Instead His highness gave a cheque for Rs 7500, towards purchase a land out side the palace and to construct Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy temple.
b. His Highness Maharajah of Travancore agreed to donate the vigraga of Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy a replica of Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy at Trivandrum. The temple was consecrated by Sri Shankaracharya of Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam.
1. The temple is kept open between 06.00 Hrs to 12.00 Hrs and 16.30 Hrs to 21.00 Hrs
CONTACT DETAILS :
1. The Landline numbers are +91 44 24412529 and 24413995
2. Web site : http://www.ananthapadmanabhaswamytemple.org/
3. Address : No 89/2 , II Main Road, Gandhi Nagar, Adyar, Chennai 600020
HOW TO REACH :
1. The temple is just walkable distance from Adyar Bus terminus.
2. Town Buses are available from Various parts of the city.
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---