15th March
2020.
The visit to this
temple was a part of the Chozha and Pallava period Temples Visit, on the banks of the river Palar, scheduled on 15th March 2020. After visiting
Neyyadupakkam Shiva Temple, we (Mr Kesavan, a Heritage Enthusiast) crossed the Cheyyar River, a tributary
of the river Palar, to reach this place. During the Chozha period, this place was called Jayankonda Chozha Mandalathu Ootrukottaththu Thammanur Nattu
Kavanthandalamana Chaturvedi Mangalam. Visited the temple again as a part of the REACH Foundation's Epigraphic field Visit on 26th February 2023.
ஸ்ரீ லக்ஷ்மி நாராயணர் கோயில்…
REACH Foundation’s Epigraphic field visit ஆக பிப்ரவரி மாதம் 26ந் தேதி சென்ற கோயில்,
காஞ்சிபுரம் மாவட்டம் காவாந்தண்டலத்தில் உள்ள ஸ்ரீ லக்ஷ்மி நாராயணர் கோயில்… பாலாற்றங்கரையில்
பல்லவர் மன்னர் கம்பவர்மன் காலத்தில், மானசர்வன் என்பவரால் கட்டப்பட்டதால் "மானசர்வன்
விஷ்ணுகிருகம்" என்று அழைக்கப்பட்டது என்பதை கல்வெட்டு மூலம் அறிகின்றோம். பல்லவர் மற்றும்
சோழர் காலத்தைச் சார்ந்த கல்வெட்டுக்கள் அதிட்டானப் பகுதியில் காணப்படுகின்றன. கல்வெட்டுக்கள்
பொன் நிலம் போன்ற நிவந்தங்களைக், கோயில், விழாக்கள் மற்றும் வழிபாட்டிற்காக கொடுக்கப்பட்டதைக்
கூறுகின்றன. அக்கல்வெட்டுக்களுள் சோழ மன்னர் முதலாம் ராஜேந்திரன் காலத்தைச் சார்ந்த
கல்வெட்டு இதே ஊரில் “ராஜேந்திர சோழீஸ்வரம்” என்ற சிவன் கோயில் கன்டன் பிச்சன் என்ற
மந்திரியால் கட்டப்பட்டதை பதிவு செய்கின்றது. சிவன் கோயில் கல்வெட்டு எப்படி ஒரு பெருமாள்
கோயிலில் வெட்டப்பட்டது என்று தெரியவில்லை.
கோயில் கருவறை பாதபந்த அதிட்டானத்தின் மீது இருதள வேசர விமானத்துடன், கருவறை, இடைநாழி, அர்த்த மண்டபம் மற்றும் முக மண்டபத்துடன் கட்டப்பட்டு உள்ளது. கோஷ்டத்தில் கோஷ்ட மூர்த்திகள் எதுவும் காணப்படவில்லை. உற்சவர் திருமுக்கூடலில் வருடந்தோறும் நடக்கும் பாரிவேட்டை திருவிழாவில் கலந்து கொள்வார் என்பது ஒரு கூடுதல் சிறப்பு.
Moolavar: Sri Lakshmi Narayana Perumal.
Some of the salient
features of this temple are...
The temple is facing
east with Anjaneyar Sannadhi. A stucco image of Lakshmi Narayana is on the
entrance arch. Recently erected Deepasthambam, balipeedam, and Garudan are
immediately after the entrance arch. Moolavar Sri Lakshmi Narayanar is in a sitting posture with Lakshmi on his left lap. Urchavar Sri Srinivasa Perumal is
with Sridevi, and Bhudevi is in the sanctum.
A Nagar idol is in one koshtam, and the rest are empty. In the ardha mandapam, Senai Mudhalvar,
Ramanujar, and Nammalwar.
ARCHITECTURE
The sanctum sanctorum
consists of a Sanctum, antarala, artha mandapam, and a mukha mandapam. The
ardha mandapam is supported by 16 flat pillars with vettu pothyal. The adhistana is a
simple pada bandha adhistana with
three patta kumudam. The prastaram consists of Valapi, kapotam with nasi kudu and viyyalavari. Lotus petals are in the valapi. An eka tala vesara vimana is on the
prastaram. Stucco images of Vishnu’s various incarnations are on the vimana and greeva koshtams. Mahanasis are also on the vimana.
HISTORY
AND INSCRIPTIONS
During the Chozha period, this place was called Jayangonda Chozha Mandalathu URRukattu
Kottathu Thamanur Nattu Kaivanthandalam, alias Chaturvedi Mangalam.
The Pallava king Kampavarman’s 9th-century inscription
on the west wall of the Laksmīnārāyaņa temple records the construction of a
Vişņu temple by Mānasarppan in the village Caturvēdimangalam. He entrusted
Nārāyaņamuni of the Atreya-gotra with the maintenance (the worship in) the
temple after having endowed some land (for its upkeep).
Kampavarman’s 14th reign, 883 CE Pallava Grantha inscription, on the
south wall of the Laksmīnārāyaņa temple, records the construction of the Visnu
temple at Caturvēdimangalam and the grant of two patți of land and a flower garden at Uttańkādu village to god Perumānadigal (of the temple) as
arccana-bhoga by Manasarppan of Kulanur in Vengi-nādu and registers the exemption of all taxes and chorumādu by the sabhaiyar of Caturvēdimangalam after receiving gold as iyaikāval from the donor. The sabhaiyar agreed to pay a fine of 48 kanam daily
at the Dharmāsana, without showing undigai and pattigai for
default.'
The Pallava King Kampavarman’s 18th reign 887 CE, Pallava Grantha inscription,
on the south wall of the Lakṣmīnārāyaņa temple, Registers an undertaking by the
sabhaiyar of Caturvedimangalam in Damantür-nādu, a s.d. of Urrukkättuk-köttam,
in respect of 30 kalañcu of gold, the fineness of which was comparable to that
of village touch-stone, received from god Perumanadigal of the temple
Manasarppa Visnu-grham that they would maintain the following services: (i)
Celebration every year of Cittirai-Tiruvinam festival for seven days, providing
daily 100 lamps, engaging 16 drummers (tattali-kottigal) performing the sacred
bath (snapanam) (of the god), and offering sacred food-offerings for seven
days, out of the interest on the (first) 20 kalañcu of gold coming to four
kalañcu at the annual rate of four mañcādi per kalańcu, (ii) Supplying one uri
of oil daily (for lamps) for the sanctum with the interest on the remaining ter
kalaicu of gold, coming to two kalañcu calculated at the rate of four mancadi
per kalańcu per year through the Sankarappadi of the village.
It is stipulated that such persons, whether they are sahhaiyar or individuals,
who cause the discontinuity of the charity, shall pay a fine of 24 kanam daily
at the Dharmāsana to be leviable by the sraddhama(nta]r.
In the Chozha King Rajendran-I's period (SII-Volume 7, 422), a Sanskrit
inscription records the gift of Land to Narayanamuni belonging to Athraiya
Gothram.
Another
Rajendra Chozha-I's (1017 to 1040 CE) period Sanskrit inscription records
the building of the “Rajendra Chozheeswaram” Temple by Vallala Kandan Pichan, a
Minister under Rajendra Chozha of Vaigur, and this place was called Jayangonda Chozhamandalathu Ootrukattu Kottaththu Thammanur Nattu
Kavanthandalam or Chaturvedi Mangalam. The inscription also mentions Pichan as Chozha
Country Minister-சோளராஜஸ்ய
மந்திரீ. In
Sanskrit, this place was mentioned as Sthandilam-ஸ்தண்டிலம். (Now
the Shiva temple is called Chozheeswarar Temple, and there are no Rajendra
period inscriptions. Instead, Vikrama Chozha’s inscription is found. How a
Shiva Temple's inscription came to this Lakshmi Narayana Temple is not known.
The inscription is in Sanskrit. The details of the
inscription with explanation are written by Sri Sankaranarayanan G in
Sarasvatam. (The inscription is recorded in
South Indian Inscriptions Volume 7, No 423 and Kanchipuram Mavatta Kalvettukkal
Volume 4).
Another
Rajendra Chozha-I’s (1027 CE) period (SII-Vol 7, 424) inscription
mentions “Chaturvedi Mangalathu Mahasabha … This is an incomplete and damaged
inscription, and further details are not known.
One
of the inscriptions records the endowment of the celebration of Chithirai Thiruvonam
Peruvizha. For the same, 30 kalanju were
gifted, and from the interest earned, 4
kalanju had to be utilised for the burning
of 100 lamps daily during the festival.
A
Pallava period Grantha inscription on the pillar reads as...
த்ரயி த்ரயா .... ர கர்ம்ம நிஷ்டிதை
ராரஷ்டிதா தித்ய மஹைர்ம்ம
ஹாத்மபி ... யத்த பயாந விக்ருதந்ந
வேநுசு
இபர... ரம த்ரி விக்ரம வைராநி
விந்நப்பர
விளக்கம்
: மூன்று மூன்றால்
கர்மாக்களை ஒரு
நிலைப்படுத்தும் விதமாய்
ர-ராஷ்டிதா
(vedic
past tense) one who ruled aadithya.
(சூரிய பகவான்
எவ்வாறு) may
be that mahair (மகிமை பொருந்திய). மஹா ஆத்மன் (நல்ல உள்ளம் பெற்ற)
பயான் விக்ருதன்
(நீரை ஆவியாய்
மாற்றும் சூரியன்
போல) கடந்தவன் பர..supreme.. த்ரிவிக்ரமன்
பலரை வென்றவன்
(வைரான்- எதிரி).... இந்த மன்னன்...
(திரு சாய் குமார் அவர்களின்
விளக்கம்).
In chronological order, this inscription follows immediately after No. 67 above, and No 78 after No. 68
above. It was found impossible to insert them in their proper places, because Nos. 64 to 76 had been already set up in pages where Nos. 77 and 78 were
copied. Besides these two records, the following inscriptions commencing with 1901, in addition to those noted under clause VIII. on page 126 above:-were
copied
30. 6th year: Tennéri, No. 195 of 1901.
31. 41st year: do. No. 197 of 1901.
32. 42nd year: Acheharapakkam, No. 254 of 1901.
38. 43rd year: do. No. 259 of 1901.
34. 49th year:
do. No. 256 of 1901.
The subjoined inscription (No. 206 of 1901) is
engraved on the south wall of the Lakshminarayana temple at Kâvântandalam. The
same temple contains three earlier inscriptions (Nos, 207 to 209 of 1901),
according to which it was built in the time of the Ganga-Pallava king
Kampavarmant by a certain Mânasarpa from Kulanür in Vêngai-nâdu.
The inscription, which is incomplete, is dated in the 4th year of the reign of Rajendra-Chôla II., but omits the reference to his queen which occurs in the Sômangalam inscription of the 3rd year (No. 67 above). It records the proceedings of a meeting of the assembly of Kâyväntandalam (1.3) in Tamanûr-nadu, a subdivision of the district of Ürrukkattu-kottam Kivântandalam; Tamanûr and Urrukkâdu are all included in the modern Conjeoveram tûluka.
The inscription, which is incomplete, is dated in the 4th year of the reign of Rajendra-Chôla II., but omits the reference to his queen which occurs in the Sômangalam inscription of the 3rd year (No. 67 above). It records the proceedings of a meeting of the assembly of Kâyväntandalam (1.3) in Tamanûr-nadu, a subdivision of the district of Ürrukkattu-kottam Kivântandalam; Tamanûr and Urrukkâdu are all included in the modern Conjeoveram tûluka.
Ref:
1. Kanchipuram Mavatta Kalvettukkal Volume 4.
2. South Indian Inscriptions Volume VII and III
3. The Inscriptions of Pallavas by T V Mahalingam.
4. ARE,
1901.
Artha mandapa pillars with inscriptions
Kampavarman's 18th reign year inscription
Kampavarman's 18th reign year inscription
Kampavarman's 18th reign year inscription
Rajendra Chozha's Inscriptions
Kumbhabhishekam was conducted in 2011 after attending to the repair works.
CELEBRATIONS
Apart from regular poojas,
Urchavar will be taken in procession to Thirumukkudal to celebrate the Parivettai festival
on Mattu Pongal day. Perumal will also join with Thirumukkudal Appan Perumal,
Kanchi Varadar, Pazhaya Seevaram Lakshmi Narasimhar, and Salavakkam Srinivasa Perumal to bless the devotees.
TEMPLE
TIMINGS:
The temple will be
kept open between 07.00 hrs to 10.00 hrs, and 17.00 hrs to 19.00 hrs.
CONTACT
DETAILS:
Rajasekar 9498036231 and Gnanasekar 9787506611 may be
contacted through their mobiles for further details and pooja.
HOW
TO REACH:
The private bus from
Kanchipuram to Ilayanar Koil passes through this village.
Kavanthandalam is
about 20 km from Kanchipuram, 10 km from Walajabad, 32 km from Chengalpattu, and
75 km from Chennai.
The nearest
Railway junction is Chengalpattu.
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE: CLICK HERE
Hanuman
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---



















No comments:
Post a Comment